PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mounting problem

qwertyp
November 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
hi guys, first of all, i am a new user ubuntu although i used some other linux distros before(pardus, fedara...) ubuntu 9.10 is awesome but i have some problems. i searched internet and ubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.org particularly. first problem is ubuntu didn't mount my ntfs formatted 4-gb usb disk automatically. Similarly, it didn't mount my external ntfs formatted 1 tb hard disk. it has three seperate volumes. ubuntu mounts 2nd and 3rd ones but it doesn't mount 1st volume. i want ubuntu to mount all hard drives automatically. (i can mount them manually but it's very useful if it is automatically) the other problem is i had a windows 7. then i installed ubuntu. but windows 7 isn't available in grub? how can i add windows 7.(this is the first time i have ever seen a linux distro can't add windows to the grub.) thanks for help.(ps: sorry for bad english)

qwertyp
November 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
and another problem: this one is not about ubuntu. i plug a card into my notebook. and now i can't remove it. i used needle, toothpick, even nail clippers. but can't remove damn card.

Lateralis
November 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I know that some people have experienced problems with mounting USB drives after installing/upgrading to 9.10; I was one of those people! It appears to be a very hardware specific problem, as my laptop suffered with this problem but my home PC didn't. The problem for my laptop was solved by updating udev from the proposed repository. It may be that it helps solve your problems too, although I did that update at the beginning of last week. I would hope that the proposed update was now in the main repositories...

As for Windows 7... As I understand it, the latest Grub (the version 2 beta which comes with Ubuntu 9.10) seems to have some issues with Windows 7. I can't really go into details as:

a) I don't use Windows 7. :P
b) I'm still on legacy grub as I did an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, rather than a fresh install of 9.10.

I daresay that someone will come along and elucidate on the problem/solution, but in the meantime you could try checking out the Grub2 documentation.

As for the card... I have no idea!