PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you open an item in Synaptic.

pensioner77
November 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I am using the new 9.10 version. I had the7.5 version of avg anti-virus on the system,but it would not allow me to up-date it to the 8.5 version.So I uninstalled it and downloaded the 8.5 version from the AVG home web site.The previous one was accessible from the Accessories,but the new one only appears in the Synaptic Package Manager. How do I get it to open so that I can set up the testing Schedules.

nadian
November 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
you might be interested in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1063003

heres a quote from one reply
"As to the original post: I did have AVG for Linux installed because I like the Windows version, but I've recently switched to using ClamTK (a GUI front-end for clamav). AVG for Linux is purely a scanner, and has no ability to quarantine infected files, while ClamTK can. I also noticed some bugs in AVG for Linux where the window wouldn't display properly and scans wouldn't start. ClamTK, on the other hand, is very solid."

praveesh
November 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Applications -> accessories ->terminal. In the terminal , type avg (or AVG OR Avg) then press tab(one or more times) , then press enter . This may launch avg.

fluffman86
November 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
And you need a virus scanner for linux...why, exactly? That's like having flood insurance when you live on top of Mt. Everest.

pensioner77
November 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks Nadian--I was having problems trying to get the old version to scan. I have removed the new one and use Clam. In the Synaptic there are 11 entries with some reference to clam but not TK. It also shows 6 such references as installed!! There is a new item in Ubuntu 9.10, in System Tools a"virus" scanner---is this perhaps clam??

winotree
November 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Virus Scanner should be it. Read this the other day on forums -- just can't point to it off-hand.