PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS next week?

phillipi
November 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/13/AR2009111300759.html

Anyone thoughts? Anyone planning on trying it?

krendar
November 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I might try it on my Netbook. It's an Asus EEE so I think there is a good chance its supported.

Idaho Dan
November 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I might, just to check it out.

ZankerH
November 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
No way. It's just another "user-friendly" (redundant-bloated-guis-for-everything apparently being the definition of "user friendly" these days) GNU/Linux distro with google's cloudy crap pre-installed.

Странник
November 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I don't have a netbook, I don't like cloud computing and Ubuntu fits my needs, but if I have time I will boot it (if it has a livecd)

Muppeteer
November 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
No way. It's just another "user-friendly" (redundant-bloated-guis-for-everything apparently being the definition of "user friendly" these days) GNU/Linux distro with google's cloudy crap pre-installed.

Isn't that what Ubuntu is too? :D

The Funkbomb
November 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I might try it in a vm.

Grenage
November 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'll try it; I know that I won't really use it, but I'll try it. Ignorance doesn't benefit anyone, I like to see what people are using and what it can do.

I personally welcome any Linux inroads. The more widespread, the bigger the manufacturer support in areas like drivers.

Simian Man
November 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I probably won't seriously use it, but will definitely give it a shot. Either way this can only be good for Linux.

RiceMonster
November 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Apparently they wrote their own windowing system rather than using X. That's the part I'm most interested in.

jomiolto
November 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'll probably try it out, but unless I can get a full command line system working on it, there's no way I'm going to actually use it :)

gnomeuser
November 13th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'll try anything once.. how else would I know to love/hate it?

ElSlunko
November 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yep definitely would try. I live in my browser for most of the day so I'm curious to see how well Google implemented their idea.

kaivalagi
November 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I shove it in a VM and have a play, I don't think it will be all that though......we'll see

Paqman
November 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Definitely. Regardless of the system's features or technical details, having Google push Linux aggressively will make for interesting times. Why would a Linux user not at least give it a quick try so they can talk from experience?

Regenweald
November 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Whatever strides that they make in drivers and making some of their better software available for a linux platform (sketchup), I hope that it is beneficial to linux in general.

metalf8801
November 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'll try it in a VM the main reason is that more people are going to be will to try it because its by google and sins I get a lot of resistance when try to get people to try Ubuntu it would be great if Chrome OS turns out to be a good OS thats easy to use

sdowney717
November 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
more people who are using linux means better linux development

Mr. Picklesworth
November 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ooh, if they announce a roadmap that means we can probably expect stable Chromium for Linux at the same rate. (Which means distros would be able to safely ship it by default! Yay!)

I'm excited about Chrome OS because it has a chance of landing in brick & mortar retailers, dealing a strong blow to Microsoft's rather nasty foothold in the netbook world in North America. (Then, the absence of restrictive hardware requirements under Chrome OS vs. Win 7 Starter / Win XP would do the rest).

Once it's all settled in, the retailers won't be able to say that they don't support Linux and the world will be a slightly happier place.

uberdonkey5
November 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
well, I am guessing that Google will throw alot of money at this project and try to become a competitor to Windows.

I don't think chrome OS is targeted at linux users, and doubt if it will be something I'll use, but I DO think it will get massive publicity for linux and draw people from windows into the linux world.

I only see this as a good thing.. hardware companies taking linux seriously, and much much more driver access. Google will undoubtedly push the fact that it is highly unlikely to be affected by viruses and won't need that pesky commercial antivirus software (though maybe this will be the start of increased development of linux viruses??)

I believe the future of OSs is changing.. and that windows will continue to loose market share as open-source becomes more popular and todays youngsters get more tech savy.

NCLI
November 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm most definitely going to try it out in a VM, but I doubt it'll become my main OS.

Apparently they wrote their own windowing system rather than using X. That's the part I'm most interested in.
Definitely. If Google manages to develope a modern alternative to X, that would be at least one good thing to come out of this project.

McMichael96
November 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I will in VirualBox.

note32
November 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM

yea its gonna be interesting to see how that turns out but right now their having some problems with that

UltimatePisman
November 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The Beta version is nothing more than a distro made with the free SUSE Studio.
If it changed in this release, I'll definitly check it out.

NoaHall
November 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM

That was a fake.

norm7446
November 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Yes. I will download and try it. But I cant see me changing from UBUNTU for it. If it gets more hardware manufactures doing proper Linux driver's for there hardware then this will benefit all Linux based Distro's, as this is still one of the biggest stumbling blocks for any Linux system. Even this form is littered with posts from people who cant get bit's of hardware to work.

RabbitWho
November 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I don't have a netbook but I am so excited by this. Because everything Google do they just.. they just blow everyone else out of the water. They are constantly re-thinking everything. Plus they'll have the publicity that other linux-related things don't get, normal people know and love Google already. I bet in 5 years they'll be sharing the market with with Windows.

And I bet Microsoft are shaking in their boots right now.

UltimatePisman
November 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
But first the hardware makers have to pre-install Chrome OS.
The main stream people are only using stuff that comes with the system.

vagrantrooper
November 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Of course I will try it.

Shibblet
November 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'll try it out, what is Virtual Box good for anyway?

Ric_NYC
November 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I would be the first to install it if I can.

lovinglinux
November 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I will try it. I think it will be particularly useful for my mother, since she only uses the computer for videos/web browsing and her notebook does not have a powerful hardware.

pwnst*r
November 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM

uh...

lykwydchykyn
November 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Why not, I've tried every other free OS.

Kunkles
November 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Aside from playing around with it on Virtualbox, no.

doorknob60
November 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'll try it in Virtualbox to see what it's like. Not practical for my Desktop though, and I don't have a netbook.

phrizek
November 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I really hope this goes the way of those instant-on, embedded operating systems (like Splashtop). If Google can coax PC manufacturers to install Chrome OS on their machines in this way, almost every single machine sold in the near future would have Chrome OS built-in along side Windows, which is a perfect strategy for defeating the Windows hegemony. Why take a minute or two to boot into Windows to check your email when you can press an instant-on button and be up and surfing in seconds on a stable and virus-hardened Chrome OS?

speedwell68
November 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I will probably try it out in VirtualBox.

pwnst*r
November 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Aside from playing around with it on Virtualbox, no.

the question was whether you're going to try it. so, yes, you are.

pwnst*r
November 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM

do your research. there was no beta version.

Matthewthegreat
November 13th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I mainly use my netbook for web browsing, games like minds, watching DVDs, and accessing google products (like gmail, google cal, ect.). So, if Chrome OS is fast, works with all of my hardware, and will let my do all the things I already do with my netbook I might switch from ubuntu NBR to Chrome OS on my netbook. I will have to see what it looks like first before I decided to make the switch.

slumbergod
November 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I just tried it. After about 1 minute I removed it. I think FF was just as fast but more importantly it is more customisable and has the extensions I like. I just can't see myself changing.

pwnst*r
November 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'll try it out, what is Virtual Box good for anyway?

some of us that run windows and linux don't care to dualboot.

pwnst*r
November 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I just tried it. After about 1 minute I removed it. I think FF was just as fast but more importantly it is more customisable and has the extensions I like. I just can't see myself changing.

you didn't try google OS.

starcannon
November 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't miss it.
I tried Windows Seven, it was fun.

northwestuntu
November 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
very interested in trying it out

lovinglinux
November 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM

That's Google Chrome web browser, not Google Chrome OS (operating system).

Dullstar
November 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
It sounds like you can't do anything while you aren't connected to the Internet, so... no.

mindtrick
November 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Definitely can't ignore such hype and will try it in a VM. But it will have to be really good to deserve room in a physical drive installation.

northwestuntu
November 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
they make it sound like it's not really a desktop option at this point.

phillipi
November 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I don't have a netbook but I am so excited by this. Because everything Google do they just.. they just blow everyone else out of the water. They are constantly re-thinking everything. Plus they'll have the publicity that other linux-related things don't get, normal people know and love Google already. I bet in 5 years they'll be sharing the market with with Windows.

And I bet Microsoft are shaking in their boots right now.

There is a chance, a pretty good one

rideburton56
November 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I am definitely going to try it. While X is good, it is by no means perfect. I think a window manager built from the ground up, for todays computers, up by a bunch of nerds like us will definitely be great :) Crossing my fingers!

Paqman
November 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
It sounds like you can't do anything while you aren't connected to the Internet, so... no.

Google's web apps can work offline too. Check out Gears on your machine, it's pretty cool.

V for Vincent
November 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'd like to, but I'm strictly a desktop guy, so I'll wait for a bit. Also particularly interested in the new window manager.

kpholmes
November 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM

agreed.

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I want bother even looking at it.

HappinessNow
November 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/13/AR2009111300759.html

Anyone thoughts? Anyone planning on trying it?Looks like most will based on this poll.

The real question is will you give Google Chrome OS a second try if you don't like it the first time? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326054)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326054