PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop "launchers" don't seem to work? Is this a BUG?

bmullan
November 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've created several Desktop launcher's in KARMIC the same way I've done in Jaunty and previous versions.

However, in Karmic the desktop Launchers do not seem to work.

Clicking on them brings up a menu for "run in terminal, display... run"

Selecting Run in Terminal does nothing !

Selecting RUN actually displays what I think is the script Karmic builds to launch the application BUT it does not execute it. So it displays vs run's the script.

I then edited my Applications menu and added the very same command string to a NEW menu item.

Clicking on that MENU item ... that works !!

However here is the weird part.

I right clicking on that MENU item and indicating to ADD THIS LAUNCHER TO DESKTOP

I then again click on the new Desktop launcher icon and that DOES NOT work. It again displays the script Karmic creates instead of executing it???

ajgreeny
November 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Try simply dragging from the menu to desktop; that's the way I usually do it, and I have not had problems with this.

Actually, that is except for the launcher for mplayer, installed from repos, then dragged from menu to desktop, and then when clicked an error comes up saying "This is an untrusted launcher" with options to not use, mark as trusted, or launch the application anyway, which is a completely new thing as far as I'm aware.