PDA

View Full Version : online jobs...any one know of any legit ones ?

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
hello i been searching on google for online jobs i heard google hires people to post ads and there are other companies out there that do the same..but when u search google for an online job u get a lot of scams that like to pop at ur face so i got to thinking, lets go ask the ubuntu community. does any one know of any good legit work from home online jobs? im turning 18 soon so if u have to be 18 that wont be an issue and its hard to get a job out here seeings the closest shopping plaza is 2-3 miles away can walk it no problem but the pay isnt nearly worth it.

steev182
November 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
The pay may not be worth it, but the experience of being treated like crap by customers is. It will go some way to helping you in later life in a 'real' job and give you some humility (and understanding for the nice customers).

I've seen those online job sites where they have "Google pays me $5000 a month to sit at my computer" I don't think they are really legitimate. Although maybe you could contact local marketing companies asking if they'd like to offer their clients a Twitter and Facebook service to try and get more customers, and you could just spend time doing that. There does seem to be a market for it too.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
ill have to look into that...i understand wat ur saying about the experience gained from having job and talking with customers but see the problem is it pretty much bagging grocies...and trust me they dont pay well...friends of mine was only making 50-60 dollars a week...working 4 days or so..if it comes down to it and i have no other choice i would be glad to take the job but i cant see my self getting that crap pay i understand for people in school its great but doesnt work for me.

t0p
November 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
If you see a job ad that says you need to give some money to a company in order to get the job, it is most likely a scam. Recruitment agencies get paid by the employer.

This is the situation in the UK anyway. Are things different elsewhere?

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
If you see a job ad that says you need to give some money to a company in order to get the job, it is most likely a scam. Recruitment agencies get paid by the employer.

This is the situation in the UK anyway. Are things different elsewhere?

no i have seen it here to (usa) thats the trouble there is so many scams but i know there is online jobs they are just hidden by all the con artist out there...how is the uk sry if this is off topic i just wana get out of america so im thinking uk or canada

steev182
November 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Man, my first job was collecting trolleys around a supermarket car park. It was awful, 3.65 an hour and it was basically a way to get petrol in my scooter so I could get to sixth form college each day. It was the worst job I've ever had, I was only there for 4 or 5 months and ended up getting a job in a home improvement store nearer my college (and it was indoors).

After doing that job, and being treated like I was a spore of bacteria on the dog mess that the customers had stepped in, I learnt that just about everyone doing these part time jobs do have a future, they are usually in education and are only doing it to help get them through their education. It taught me to be polite to everyone I meet, except for the low level managers in the stores who treat you like crap. I gave a few managers as good as they got many times. My favourite was 'at least I'm doing something with my life and won't be a departmental manager in a supermarket for the rest of my life leering over the young girls who work on checkouts'. That earned me a verbal warning, but was worth it ;)

Somme
November 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
DigitalPoint
(http://forums.digitalpoint.com)

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
haha nice yeah see the reason im not getting a job at the store ( Winn-Dixie ) is because of the pay the managers there are terrible too so i just gotta wait a month and i got a 100% job at mcdonalds because of my brother and that had far better pay believe it or not...so im going to wait it out a month or so i just wanted to get a little money in the mean time to pay for my car. and gratz on telling off the manager haha he prob went home and was like "damn i need to make somthing of my self"

HarrisonNapper
November 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Not to review the same things recursively, but the advice on here is good. I know very few people who never had to bag groceries, wait tables, work the cash register, et cetera to get where they are today. Aside from being a valuable life lesson in humility and community, they are important items on your resume that may become stepping stones for you later. Even if you're only bagging groceries, that job would require a greater level of responsibility than throwing a party. If you want to avoid those jobs, the only way I really know of is to pass go and collect the money for a college degree or technical training; and even then that's not a pass to a job, as there are always people who have degrees AND have been working for years.

As far as online jobs, don't know of any; sorry :)

The sites to look for are forums, listservs, et cetera for IT professionals. There are lots of them out there, but many require a very specialized skillset. I've seen sites which primarily serve as a place to get the latest news about the information security industry, but also have a jobs section. (http://www.securityfocus.com/jobs/opportunities) Application development usually functions much the same way. You can also contact local recruitment agencies that specialize in IT and are known to be legitimate.

Best of luck!

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM
i see wat u guys are saying and thanks for the help and understanding, i will more and likly wait for my job at mcdonalds and go from there i got great plans im going to make it i know i just gotta start some where...and some money is better than no money.

pookiebear
November 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
pick up the McD job and supplement with cha-cha or kgb when you are bored. ChaCha pays about 13 cents for each question answered (but they are not hiring right now). KGB slightly less, so I have read. I think KGB is still hiring.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
pick up the McD job and supplement with cha-cha or kgb when you are bored. ChaCha pays about 13 cents for each question answered (but they are not hiring right now). KGB slightly less, so I have read. I think KGB is still hiring.
u have the sites ? ill google it but i wana make sure im going to the right site u know wat i mean ? and thanks

sports fan Matt
November 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thos is just me, but I'd be REALLY leary about any online jobs. I recently got promised a computer tech job (about 30 minutes down the road) and I called and called and got no response (after being told the indivual would call me) Waiting a month and I half, called the person left several messages and nothing. I hate being lied to..one of my pet peeves and I just can't trust online jobs..(imo, they lie or have stipulations)

Naiki Muliaina
November 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
There are some real money spinners in Second Life, if you are particularly talented there you could become minted. If your not talented or generally mediocre or think theres get rich quick schemes there... Possibly not a good place to go ^^

CJ Master
November 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
eHow is very excellent. You don't get immediatly paid for the articles you make, instead you get paid off clicked adds for the rest of your life (or until they shut down.)

eHow is also owned by Demand Studios, which will pay you a direct amount for your articles, if you'd prefer that, but you won't get any residual money.

P1umb3r
November 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Man, my first job was collecting trolleys around a supermarket car park. It was awful, 3.65 an hour and it was basically a way to get petrol in my scooter so I could get to sixth form college each day. It was the worst job I've ever had, I was only there for 4 or 5 months and ended up getting a job in a home improvement store nearer my college (and it was indoors).

After doing that job, and being treated like I was a spore of bacteria on the dog mess that the customers had stepped in, I learnt that just about everyone doing these part time jobs do have a future, they are usually in education and are only doing it to help get them through their education. It taught me to be polite to everyone I meet, except for the low level managers in the stores who treat you like crap. I gave a few managers as good as they got many times. My favourite was 'at least I'm doing something with my life and won't be a departmental manager in a supermarket for the rest of my life leering over the young girls who work on checkouts'. That earned me a verbal warning, but was worth it ;)

I had the same job. Every shift I'd go out and get all the carts, and deal with the ridiculous places that most customers leave them. Now, any time I'm at the supermarket, I put the carts back where I found them. We cart pushers look out for each other. ;)