PDA

View Full Version : Karmic Network Manager - User Friendly?

dvdwalt
November 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hi,

After I installed Karmic, I tried to use the network manager.

Somehow things were not as easy they used to be, and I was not sure if the new look and feel was really an improvement.

While you look at the two pictures below, ask yourself the following questions about how easy it is to:

See the strength in the toolbar of my wireless connection.
See the strength of signals on the available wireless devices.
Determine if the available wireless devices are Access Points or Ad Hoc.
Which available devices feature encryption, and which are open.
Trying to connect, determine if your machine is sending data.
Trying to connect, determine if the Access Point are talking to your machine.

For me Hardy is hands down the winner.

Karmic Network Manager:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136015&stc=1&d=1258104501

Hardy Network Manager:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136014&stc=1&d=1258104501

Your comments on my observations are welcome.

Regards

Johnsie
November 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, but the new one makes it much quicker to connect to a VPN. I think the progress bars in hardy were better looking though.

3rdalbum
November 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Neither of those screenshots look very coherent - have you got proper graphics drivers installed?

Note that if you change the icon theme, your Network Manager will look more similar to Hardy.

anaconda
November 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
If you dont like network-manager you can easily replace it with wicd, which is better and more userfriendly than NM anyway.

dvdwalt
November 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Neither of those screenshots look very coherent - have you got proper graphics drivers installed?

Note that if you change the icon theme, your Network Manager will look more similar to Hardy.

They are not pure screenshots, but rather pictures gimped together from a few screenshots in order to cover the compare-points.

Yes I've tried other themes, but it would be nice if the default theme is also functionally the better one, like on Hardy.

Johnsie
November 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It doesn't look like a graphics problem, it looks like he's deliberately covered the names of the ssid's for privacy reasons.

Agontuk
November 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
If you dont like network-manager you can easily replace it with wicd, which is better and more userfriendly than NM anyway.tnx.

jollysnowman
November 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
If you dont like network-manager you can easily replace it with wicd, which is better and more userfriendly than NM anyway.

+1 wicd works amazingly for me. It seems to connect much faster than network-manager.