PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie Question.. Can i run ubuntu on either of my computers?

Stamets2
November 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hello. I am wondering if it is possible to run Ubuntu on my HP laptop it is a dv522nr but there are no linux drivers available?? http://tinyurl.com/dv522nr this is the system..

Also same goes for my desktop it is a new HP P6116f http://tinyurl.com/p6116f (http://tinyurl.com/p6116f)
how do i go about getting drivers for these boxs that are compatible with Ubuntu??

Sorry total n00b here!
Thanks in advance

-- Stamets2

pmlxuser
November 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
why not try running ubuntu from the live CD, it will give you a pretty good picture of what will work and what will not, you can also check in the hardware compatability list (search it on the forum) to see if your machine appear there or have some specific drivers problem. But most of the time machines made by HP work well

lisati
November 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
why not try running ubuntu from the live CD, it will give you a pretty good picture of what will work and what will not, you can also check in the hardware compatability list (search it on the forum) to see if your machine appear there or have some specific drivers problem. But most of the time machines made by HP work well

+1. That's one of the main uses of a LiveCD (I was contemplating a suitable reply along similar lines and pmlxuser beat me to it.)

sgosnell
November 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
There are no drivers, AFAIK, for specific machines, just for specific graphics or network cards. You may not need any special drivers at all. Ubuntu should run on either machine, but do try a live CD and make sure.

Stamets2
November 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Thank you for the information...

I do have a question tho... I install the regular Ubuntu distro and then run the livecd after it is already installed?

thanks for not flaming me for being a n00b :)
I appreciate it..

-- Stamets2

darkod
November 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
No, you don't install anything. Download the ISO, burn it on CD and boot with it (CD-ROM as first choice in BIOS).

Select the first option, Try Ubuntu. It will just load Ubuntu from the CD making no changes to the computer. You will see how it works, you can even browse on internet if the connection is recognized, etc.

Installation comes later if you decide to do it.

dhavalbbhatt
November 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thank you for the information...

I do have a question tho... I install the regular Ubuntu distro and then run the livecd after it is already installed?

thanks for not flaming me for being a n00b :)
I appreciate it..

-- Stamets2

You don't need to install Ubuntu on your machine. The way a LiveCD works is, you will go to www.ubuntu.com and download either the 32bit OS or the 64bit OS (depending on whether you can run 32bit/64bit and your preferences). Once you have downloaded the ISO file, burn it on a CD, as an ISO image (not a data file) - you will need a burner (software) that can burn ISO files in Windows. After you have a CD (also called the LiveCD), load the CD in your CD drive and let the computer boot from the CD (ensure your BIOS settings allow you to first boot from a CD drive and not the HDD). Once you are booted using LiveCD, you will see a screen with a few different options. Select the one which says something like - Select Ubuntu without installing on your computer - that is the LiveCD environment - you are basically just using the OS from the CD without installing it on your machine. The LiveCD is a simulation of how the OS will behave once you have Ubuntu installed on your machine, without actually installing the OS on your machine!