PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] clamav help I'm lost

wanderingarticfox
November 13th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I can find it via the terminal but do not understand why Synaptic install did not put clamav in my GUI menue(s) Please help; I'm old and trying to learn this command line stuff!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::icon_frown:](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

sgosnell
November 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a menu entry for clamav. I don't use it. You don't need an antivirus program for Ubuntu, there are no known viruses that affect Linux. It's available for the really paranoid, but I don't bother, because the system slowdown is worse than the emptry virus threat.

wandalalakers
November 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have klamav and avast on my main desktop so I can scan fat32 or ntfs formatted flash drives for viruses.
I'm a kde girl but install clamtk using synaptic so you can have a gui for clamav.

wanderingarticfox
November 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Thank You for the responces, I did grab up the clamat. I also use the avast as well to scan things sent to me from MS users.

ottosykora
November 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
clamav will not create any menu entry , it is pure command line prg.
To get menu entry , you need to install clamtk, which is the graphical front end for it. This will then appera in the menu somewhere in accessories or so as Antivirus.