PDA

View Full Version : The Race of 9.10-based Ubuntu Spinoffs

earthpigg
November 13th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I know it isn't a race.

I know it isn't a competition.

But I still want to get my 9.10-based release out first!

Crunchbang
Linux Mint
Spri
Masonux (myself)

Who else am I "not" racing and competing with?

Any other unofficial 9.10-based releases out yet that I haven't come across?

My last technical hurdle is making it play well with either Ubuntu's "USB Startup Disk Creator" or unetbootin. Or, figuring out how to put together an .img that can be dd'd onto a thumb drive. I may be on the verge of breakthrough within the next 30 minutes, but I've thought that before.

:D

Slug71
November 13th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I know it isn't a race.

I know it isn't a competition.

But I still want to get my 9.10-based release out first!

Crunchbang
Linux Mint
Spri
Masonux (myself)

Who else am I "not" racing and competing with?

Any other unofficial 9.10-based releases out yet that I haven't come across?

My last technical hurdle is making it play well with either Ubuntu's "USB Startup Disk Creator" or unetbootin. Or, figuring out how to put together an .img that can be dd'd onto a thumb drive. I may be on the verge of breakthrough within the next 30 minutes, but I've thought that before.

:D

Mint 8 should be out soon.

I tried to make my own spinoff, removed Gnome, installed Xfce and then i keep breaking it trying to remove all the Gnome stuff.
Think i might wait till Crunchbang 9.10 is out and try it again.
I use Terminator as the Terminal, Banshee instead of Rhythmbox, Packagekit and the Smartpm backend. And since i have smart, no APT.
Plymouth instead of x/usplash.

I used Crunchbang 9.04 but Packagekit 0.3.14 that is in the repos doesnt work well with smartpm in that version.

Tux Aubrey
November 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I think zenix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1320899) beat you. Those darn buddhists!

SirBismuth
November 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Don't know if Ultimate Edition (http://ultimateedition.info/) counts?. 2.4 was released to their forum members the other day.

Whatever, I like it and use it, even if it doesn't count here.

B

JBAlaska
November 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Icebuntu...If I get off my a** (and these fine forums lol)

michaelzap
November 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM
There's discussion over at Crunchbang about basing the next release on Debian instead of Karmic.

Eeebuntu already decided to do that (they'll need to change their name, I suppose).

Mint 8 seems to be almost ready but for some Grub grief...

earthpigg
November 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Mint 8 seems to be almost ready but for some Grub grief...

sounds familiar.