PDA

View Full Version : question for graphic designers

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM
hello i am turning 18 and hoping to get a job soon so i can pay my way through college and become a graphic designer...i just want some opinions of people who are graphic designers and or some advice to becoming a good one....thanks

23meg
November 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Read the book "How To Be A Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul" by Adrian Shaughnessy.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Read the book "How To Be A Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul" by Adrian Shaughnessy.

will do...would i have to go to the library or is there a copy on the internet for free read ?

Edit: how do u get ur rank up. I.E. for do i get higher than "First Cup of Ubuntu"

Frak
November 13th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...

Well, I think you get the point. There isn't a skill that they can teach you that comes close to just practicing.

EDIT
And learn your hotkeys!

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
are u a graphic designer by trade frak ? or on the side ? if by trade wat programs u use adobe right ? i have used photoshop and illustrator past couple years i loveeee illustrator such a powerful tool and yeah the hot keys i gotta get down i got most the erasers selectors and the stamp and majic wand down but i need more training on how to use the painting tools i wana get a tablet it would make things so much easier..

Frak
November 13th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Depends on the season. During the holidays, it's my main job, like right now. I use nearly all Adobe applications in my work. I use a few other Adobe AIR apps that help me measure pictures/create colour schemes/show me the hotkeys (I can't remember many of the hotkeys).

But, yeah, become proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and you should be started off on the right foot.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Depends on the season. During the holidays, it's my main job, like right now. I use nearly all Adobe applications in my work. I use a few other Adobe AIR apps that help me measure pictures/create colour schemes/show me the hotkeys (I can't remember many of the hotkeys).

But, yeah, become proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and you should be started off on the right foot.

ok would u mind leaving ur email or email me i would love to chat with u if u wouldnt mind and possibly hlp me when i get stuck ? or if i have questions.

Frak
November 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
ok would u mind leaving ur email or email me i would love to chat with u if u wouldnt mind and possibly hlp me when i get stuck ? or if i have questions.
ok

tjwoosta
November 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Edit: how do u get ur rank up. I.E. for do i get higher than "First Cup of Ubuntu"

Make posts to bring your bean count up, lots of posts. Community Cafe posts don't count, only support posts. After you get a certain amount (i think like 2000 or something like that) you can put whatever title you want.

If your referring to the "Ubuntu Member" title that 23meg has, I think you need to contribute to Ubuntu in some way to get that title.

see here for more information https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Make posts to bring your post count up, lots of posts. Community Cafe posts don't count, only support posts.

If your referring to the "Ubuntu Member" rank that 23meg has, I think you need to contribute to Ubuntu in some way to get that title.

see here for more information https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
ok thank u tjwoosta.

23meg
November 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
will do...would i have to go to the library or is there a copy on the internet for free read ?

Not sure. Do a web search to find out.

are u a graphic designer by trade frak ? or on the side ? if by trade wat programs u use adobe right ? i have used photoshop and illustrator past couple years i loveeee illustrator such a powerful tool and yeah the hot keys i gotta get down i got most the erasers selectors and the stamp and majic wand down but i need more training on how to use the painting tools i wana get a tablet it would make things so much easier..

On that note, my advice would be: forget about software. Graphic design has essentially got nothing to do with software.

If you want to become a graphic designer, learn the principles, theory and history of graphic design before worrying about what software to use.

HappinessNow
November 13th, 2009, 06:01 AM
hello i am turning 18 and hoping to get a job soon so i can pay my way through college and become a graphic designer...i just want some opinions of people who are graphic designers and or some advice to becoming a good one....thanksI would suggest you go to college to become a Graphic Designer, the following program is one of the top in the US (they accept international students):

http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/OptionDetail.aspx?id=352

(...and NO I am not a Graphic Designer or major; I have just heard outstanding things about this program. I support you in your pursuit 100%, Work Hard with passion and you will succeed)

The Funkbomb
November 13th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I'm not a graphic designer so take this with a grain of salt. I do dabble heavily for my own purposes but I'm not a for-pay guy.

Get a good idea of your natural talent. It doesn't matter what program you use. You can use photoshop with every conceivable plugin and if you don't have the talent, some dude with talent will come along and school you in MS Paint.

The guys I know in the business are obsessive over their stuff. Me, I'd rather just have fun.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
ok thanks...yeah thats another reason i want to go to college for it learn all the principles i do know some but not near wat i should and my only downfall with being a graphic designer is i cant draw....at all but i can make some very nice company logos through software when i have the idea in my head...all in do time like i said im turning 18 this coming month so i no doubt need training i dont know wat i can and im not near as good as i can be once i go to college and learn every thing i need.

plustwodesign
May 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
We are professional graphic designers in Peterborough (http://www.plustwodesign.com) and can tell you that to get ahead of the game and be a good graphic designer, you have to be able to keep up with new design trends and do lots of research to make sure you know what works and what dosen't work. Clients want something that blows them away and makes them stand out from the crowd. With this in mind, our graphic designers always try to come up with innovative, bespoke design ideas that reflect the companies corporate image, while offering something a little different to what is already out there.