PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I switch to Xubuntu without starting over?

wavery
November 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Noob to Ubuntu and loving it. I spent a couple days familiarizing myself with Ubuntu, and then VirtualBox for the one program I need to run under Windows. Unfortunately I didn't do enough homework and installed Ubuntu on an old laptop that I think might do better with Xubuntu. So the question is: after all the time I've put in, am I starting over if I switch to Xubuntu (i.e., reload VirtualBox, Windows XP into VB, etc...)? Thank you!

whoop
November 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Noob to Ubuntu and loving it. I spent a couple days familiarizing myself with Ubuntu, and then VirtualBox for the one program I need to run under Windows. Unfortunately I didn't do enough homework and installed Ubuntu on an old laptop that I think might do better with Xubuntu. So the question is: after all the time I've put in, am I starting over if I switch to Xubuntu (i.e., reload VirtualBox, Windows XP into VB, etc...)? Thank you!

You can switch without starting over:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu
or
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce
depending on how you want it (both ubuntu and xubuntu, or clean just xubuntu)

wavery
November 13th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Great, thank you. Follow-up question: my laptop isn't quite as minimal as the specs recommended for Xubuntu (it's got 1GB RAM and was running XP), and Ubuntu is functional, I'm just looking for more speed. Is the speed likely to be markedly better using Xubuntu? Thanks again.

wilee-nilee
November 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Great, thank you. Follow-up question: my laptop isn't quite as minimal as the specs recommended for Xubuntu (it's got 1GB RAM and was running XP), and Ubuntu is functional, I'm just looking for more speed. Is the speed likely be markedly better using Xubuntu? Thanks again.

I think the speed difference will be hardly noticeable, but the psychocats links are great for installing and removing in one fell swoop so go for it.