PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 9.10 - GNOME panel and Fn-key issue, among others

GotNoLife
November 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hi.

I upgraded a Lenovo N200 laptop from 9.04 to 9.10 the other day and a few problems have emerged.

First off; I read through the release notes, Karmic Upgrade documentation and searched the forum but I didn't find any threads mentioning my issues.

Main issues:
1. The GNOME panel at the bottom of the screen (where all the open programs end up) doesn't let me switch between programs. When selecting a program it will not react. Not until I right click, get the menu and then double left click.

That's a weird mouse combo to do while switching between windows trying to work.
This is really annoying and time consuming.

2. Screen brightness control via Fn-key combo doesn't work. It seems like this is the only Fn-key combo that doesn't work.
There is no other keys on this laptop to change the brightness.
As a workaround I can use the brightness control via the power settings. Though, this only works when the laptop is running on power.

Other annoying tings / time consuming issues:
- Firefox 3.5 keeps acting slow and OFTEN stops responding.
This might be a Mozilla case. But FF3.5 behaved nicely on 9.04.

- The new authentication restrictions. Though, I understand the fact that Ubuntu is trying to look more like Window$, this Vista phenomenon is NOT something I appreciate.

- Automatically trying to connect to EVERY wireless AP found when you're at a new place.
Not even Window$ does this(!). A bubble telling me there's 14 new wireless networks around me would enough. If anything, it would be OK to connect to the first open network, rather than spending time hitting Esc for every new network we find on startup.

Solutions
Most of all I am looking a solution to the main issues, with GNOME panel and brightness control. Otherwise I see no other solution than reinstall 9.04. I'm hoping not to. :)

Either way, I am grateful for any comments and help on any of the issues. :)
Thank you, in advance.

- René

GotNoLife
November 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
The problem I've been having with the GNOME panels and Window list was caused by the program Synergy.
A program for sharing one keyboard/mouse with several computers.
However, the problem did occur after the update.

I still can not use the Fn-keys to control the LCD brightness. Luckily GNOME has a panel button for that. :) And I will manage with that until I find out how to fix it.

I'm putting this to solved for now.