PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] newbe mistake with firefox

sandmouse
November 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 desktop

Ok I made the mistake of installing firefox 3.5.5 with the help of some web page! It worked till today when I updated my software. Something installed and firefox dosen't work now! I tried to de-install it and re-install but no luck! If we dont play we don't learn!

mikewhatever
November 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Is it possible to provide the link to the 'some web page'? Can you try launching Firefox from Terminal, but typying firefox, and post the output.

sandmouse
November 13th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry I can not find The web page. When I type firefox in a terminal windows it opens shiretoko. Yes I need to read more, linux is not windows! LOL

mikewhatever
November 13th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hmm..., thought you said Firefox didn't work. Did you know that Shiretoko is Firefox 3.5 with different branding, and its current version in the repositories is indeed 3.5.5.

winotree
November 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Delete the file .mozilla in your /home/user -- if you can't see it click Ctrl+h [show hidden files]. This contains the Firefox configuration files. Anything you do will remain the same as long as it's there -- but be sure to save your bookmarks first.

Then use Synaptic Package Manager to reinstall Firefox-3.5 [version 3.5.4] and add your bookmarks. That ought to do it.

EDIT - what mikewhatever said! And it's very polished for a pre-release, too. ;)

aysiu
November 13th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 desktop

Ok I made the mistake of installing firefox 3.5.5 with the help of some web page! It worked till today when I updated my software. Something installed and firefox dosen't work now! I tried to de-install it and re-install but no luck! If we dont play we don't learn!
Paste these commands into the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal) and then paste the output back here:
cat /etc/lsb-release
uname -a
dpkg -s firefox
dpkg -s firefox-3.5
ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
ls -l /opt/
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

wojox
November 13th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Is this 9.04, 9.10? Did you add any ppa's?

mikewhatever
November 13th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Delete the file .mozilla in your /home/user -- if you can't see it click Ctrl+h [show hidden files]. This contains the Firefox configuration files. Anything you do will remain the same as long as it's there -- but be sure to save your bookmarks first.

Then use Synaptic Package Manager to reinstall Firefox-3.5 [version 3.5.4] and add your bookmarks. That ought to do it.

Renaming .mozilla is a better idea, for example, .mozilla-old or something like that.

winotree
November 13th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Renaming .mozilla is a better idea, for example, .mozilla-old or something like that.
Mmm -- that's true. I didn't consider that and didn't think at the moment that it was appropriate to talk about a back-up [I do grsync of /user every evening]. Wonder how sandmouse is getting along??

sandmouse
November 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM
thanks for all The idea's, I got it to work! I had 3 versions installed 3.0 something 3.5 and 3.55, but a mixture of supporting files, with that said I had to sudo and command line delete everything because GUI package manger really doesn't totally remove files! Once I did that I re-installed 3.5.5 witch is now supported and everything works fine! Once again thanks for all the help!

SandMouse | Former ******* user and Lego Builder guru