PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't load any version of Linux after trying to update to Ubuntu 9.10

mugwump40
November 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I need help! I had a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 working on my desktop. I tried to do a clean install of 9.10. It froze after I made my install options and gives a message: "Input Signal Out of Range. Change settings to 1280 X 1024 - 60Hz" My graphics card IS set at 1280 X 1024 - 60 Hz. Operating system is HP Slimline s3521p, AMD Athlon X2 5200 proc., 4096 memory, 500 Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Graphics card. I have updated every driver I can find. Meantime, NOTHING.....UBUNTU 9.04, 9.10, UBUNTU Studio, DEBIAN, FEDORA 11, etc. will load. They all give the same message. I also get a message during install boot up: "ACPI: Expecting a [Reference] Package Element, Found 0" Other than these two messages, there is no indication of what is going on. I'm at the point of thinking the new GRUB did something that I haven't been able to undo. I have run "fixmbr", "Fdisk" and other methods of trying to re-write the MBR. I have even used Killdisk.exe to write all 0's and 1's on the HD and re-loaded Windows XP. The logon screen STILL comes up as though GRUB is controlling it, but the only choice is Windows XP. It does not give me a "clean" Windows XP boot as I would expect. So something must be staying on the HD in either the MBR or Journal that I can't get rid of. Any suggestions??