PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing Drivers

Bone Crusher
November 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I have drivers on my desktop I need to install. How would i install it? Do I use Terminal?

audiomick
November 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM
you could start by reading this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool

or make a note of the name of the driver, look for it in the synaptic package manager in the system admin menu, and see if you can't install from there.
I am wary of installing things that I can't install using Ubuntu's on board software management, but that is to a large degree because I find it all a bit confusing...:(

Bone Crusher
November 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I looked at the synaptic package manager and could't find it.

audiomick
November 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
ok.
like I mentioned, there's apt and aptitude. Go and look at the Wiki, the home site is listed at the bottom, and that should have instructions about how it works.

there's also a thing called gdebi, a program for installing deb packages. Try searching for that in the forum or in a search engine.

Mark Phelps
November 13th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I have drivers on my desktop I need to install. How would i install it? Do I use Terminal?

Linux is not Windows. You don't start out by inserting a driver disk and installing a bunch of drivers. For the most part, the hardware detection portion of installation finds the drivers and installs them for you.

What specific drivers are you trying to install? For what hardware?

Bone Crusher
November 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I am trying to get my wireless internet to work. From reading the threads, I guess I need to install drivers because it is not working.