PDA

View Full Version : Hard decision...

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Exodist
November 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Alright, at the moment I am dual booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. I wish to use one as a main OS but there is a few things holding me back from choosing Ubuntu.

First of all, it just broke my MP3-Player, I plugged it in, no Window came up so I unplugged it and now it's frozen.

There is one program I use a lot while I'm on Windows which is Game Maker. WINE doesn't work properly, I can't figure out how to install it.
And for looks, Ubuntu isn't transparent which is a turn-off.

Whats your question?

Regenweald
November 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Not that hard really, sit down, analyse which suits your needs better, and use that one ;).

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Machnikowski
November 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM
There is one program I use a lot while I'm on Windows which is Game Maker. WINE doesn't work properly, I can't figure out how to install it.

Try learning a real programming language, surely you get tired of dragging blocks around....
I recommend you start with Python (http://python.org/).

Ubuntu isn't transparent which is a turn-off

Enable transparency in Compiz.

Regenweald
November 12th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Actually, if I think about it, I feel I should go with Windows 7. I've been using Windows ever since I can remember and it does support the majority of programs and games. Not to mention the largest OS community.

EDIT: Also, I understand DOS commands and how everything in Windows works.

Crisis averted :) always enjoy your computing! whatever the OS.

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Feh to heck with the glassy windows in windows, its not critical your windows be transparent.
If you only use a OS for just fancy looks and effect then sorry but i dont think you should use a computer at all.
I can understand your gripes with Wine, and as for your MP3 player we might help you if we knew your issue.
But your transparent window issue is just plain... ugh.

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Feh to heck with the glassy windows in windows, its not critical your windows be transparent.
If you only use a OS for just fancy looks and effect then sorry but i dont think you should use a computer at all.

I don't just do it for that, it's just nicer looking and I prefer that. Tell this to the Mac owners.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Who cares what you think about how a person should or should not use a computer? Sounds like Windows 7 is for the OP. I quite like it myself, I just prefer Ubuntu because it is easier to do my networking and python stuff in Ubuntu.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude, but I find it quite absurd that you would tell someone how they should use a consumer electronic.

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM

skatinjj
November 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
If I remove the Linux partition and add it to my Windows one (then make it primary boot), would GRUB be gone?

Is grub installed on the MBR or linux partition?

If its on the linux partition then yes, if not then I believe not but not 100% sure on that.

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I don't just do it for that, it's just nicer looking and I prefer that. Tell this to the Mac owners.

Well use windows 7 then, if you are just using your computer for wowee effects then just use 7... just dont blame us when you are hit by nasty malware.
I can understand your gripes with Wine, and as for your MP3 player we might help you if we knew your issue.
Look I am not trying to be offensive here but seriously I think a computer should be used for more then having glassy windows and special effects.
if you want glassy window boarders you can try emerald, but having all out window transparency is not really there... yet.

Zorian144
November 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM

skatinjj
November 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM
People download viruses all the time in windows because they use a free legit program that was altered to carry malicious code.

I feel as though linux has more software and is easier to get and install.

I also feel that the linux community is a lot more helpful than the windows community with solving issues. Plus most of the issues I come by in windows are usually advanced and require a lot more work to iron out (tons of hot fixes and updates, XP SP1 T_T)

Zorian144
November 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Ubuntu problems are easier to solve? HAH! Also, Windows is waay easier as it doesn't always rely on terminal code or advanced installations.

skatinjj
November 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Ubuntu problems have been easier to solve since most of my experiences have been great out of the box (even 9.10).

And the windows issues come from a technician perspective since I work on windows computers all day and the issues are always software related and very time consuming to sort out.

Never had any time consuming issues on linux machines, always simple and to the point. Plus, linux has a great communities to help for free whereas windows you either deal with microsoft T_T or with the cruddy communities (my experiences have led me to believe the communities for windows are cruddy)

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Alright, now back on Windows :) Anyways, I'm not just using it because it has those small effetcs (though some could be useful). I'm using it because it has the most amount of programs and games, I'm using it because if I get any problems I would know how to fix them or I could go to the giant community and ask.
Also, I really don't give two ***** about viruses and that's not a valid complaint about Windows because any other OS can get them. Not to mention I have AVG and personally know how to get rid of the viruses I barely get. Seriously, I'm not stupid enough to download obvious viruses.

Yes but also when you use windows 7 you really dont own it, microsoft does.
I use linux because it is free, secure and there is no big company behind it that fears competition so much it has to sue everything to get all its money.
Microsoft is corrupt

Ubuntu problems are easier to solve? HAH! Also, Windows is waay easier as it doesn't always rely on terminal code or advanced installations.

Not all the time, besides you jumped ship so why comment on a OS you wont use now?
Keep in mind windows is not perfect either.

skatinjj
November 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Not all the time, besides you jumped ship so why comment on a OS you wont use now?
Keep in mind windows is not perfect either.

Windows is far from perfect and they release crap just to keep consumers happy til they figure something out (ME = many errors and vista)

Regenweald
November 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Trolls vs Church of Linux. Who will win ? When will they stop chomping down on the bait ?

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Windows is far from perfect and they release crap just to keep consumers happy til they figure something out (ME = many errors and vista)

No OS is perfect, the issue here is that the OP could have easily still dual booted if he/she had the room.
But they have the windows 7 fever, fine with me because as soon as he/she has issues they will wish they still dual booted.

gnomeuser
November 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Alright, at the moment I am dual booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. I wish to use one as a main OS but there is a few things holding me back from choosing Ubuntu.

Well both are probably fine choices - you should base your decision on which fits you the best - perhaps dual booting is a good option for now. Keep that in mind.

First of all, it just broke my MP3-Player, I plugged it in, no Window came up so I unplugged it and now it's frozen.

What kind of mp3 player is this and what is the exact symptoms? E.g. if you do a clean reboot then run dmesg in a terminal before and after plugging it in can you see Linux detecting a device?

It's likely to look something like this:

[248574.592938] usb-storage: device found at 9
[248574.592946] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[248579.590285] usb-storage: device scan complete
[248579.591853] scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access WD 10EADS External 1.75 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[248579.593124] sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[248579.598255] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] 1953525168 512-byte logical blocks: (1.00 TB/931 GiB)
[248579.599751] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[248579.599764] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
[248579.599771] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[248579.603686] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[248579.603701] sdb: sdb1
[248579.619726] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[248579.619746] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Well WINE is a tricky program to use. It isn't a sure way to run any application so your first bet might be to look for an open source alternative in the repos that will do what you want. If not I am sure we can figure out how to get wine running for you. There's even a wine subforum here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313 - this might be the best place to ask specifically about this problem.

I agree the blurred Vista/7 style decorations are kinda cool. I believe Compiz can provide these, at least on certain video cards. The problem as always is driver support and getting X.org up to speed to make it all seamless before we can turn it on by default - we need to make sure it works for everyone. For now I think the best answer you can get is that this is a larger problem than it seems, we are working on getting the entire puzzle right - please don't be deterred by polish lacking in the corners, Linux is a fine system and development is astoundingly quick.

So if I could get help with installing WINE and getting GNOME transparent or something similar.

I hope that helped

Nerd King
November 13th, 2009, 01:36 AM
My 2p on the matter. The OP couldn't be arsed to research anything. You try something new you'll have to do your homework. Same if it's a mac or windows or whatever. Linux didn't brick your mp3, of that I can assure you.

Second. Windows runs windows software, mac runs mac software, linux runs linux software. Just like Xbox runs xbox games, playstation runs playstation games, you get the drill. We're lucky on linux that the wine project exists. It's brilliant that it runs so many packages well. It copes with half-life, call of duty, ms office, photoshop (CS2), and all sorts of obscure crap that I throw at it. However it won't do game maker. Game maker's pretty damn cool, it's the tool that was used to make the legendary Spelunky so it can't be all bad. Ultimately, if you need a tool, you run the platform with that tool. If you can find a good linux alternative, you can use that, but it sounds like too much work for you to be honest, so go Windows.

I think the OP expected us all to say "noooo please don't go, please don't flounce". Tough. Linux doesn't need users like windows does. No-one makes more money because you downloaded a linux freebie. You use it? You like it? Great. You use windows? Up to you.

Zorian144
November 13th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Frak
November 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Trolls vs Church of Linux. Who will win ? When will they stop chomping down on the bait ?
I do it as a sport.

Alright, now back on Windows :) Anyways, I'm not just using it because it has those small effetcs (though some could be useful). I'm using it because it has the most amount of programs and games, I'm using it because if I get any problems I would know how to fix them or I could go to the giant community and ask.
Also, I really don't give two ***** about viruses and that's not a valid complaint about Windows because any other OS can get them. Not to mention I have AVG and personally know how to get rid of the viruses I barely get. Seriously, I'm not stupid enough to download obvious viruses.

+1

Also, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is out. It's free and clobbers AVG in speed, resources, and detection (maybe not detection, but it's darn close). AVG runs at around 120MB on my machine at a given time, MSE runs at about 2MB. While I'm not stupid enough to put myself out there to get a virus, since the tools run nearly invisibly anyways, might as well.

Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/)

hoppipolla
November 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM

So if I could get help with installing WINE and getting GNOME transparent or something similar.

If it was me I would have just bunged KDE on it and you're away, I don't really see the problem. The MP3 Player could be made to work easy unless it's something really unusual, and Game Maker... well you could try to persuade it to work under Wine or just do what I do and dual boot for the like... one app that I use on Windows.

At the end of the day though man use what you like. The advantage of using Linux at the moment is not really range of software or hardware support, it's flexibility, choice, power of the desktop, security, stability, ease of updates, jazz like that. It's your call which one you choose though and if apps and games are the most important thing to you, then I would agree you are probably mostly best off on Windows :)

While I was dual booting, I removed the partitions of ubuntu. I added all the free space to my windows partition and now whenever I boot I get some retarded GRUB message that says something like:
"partition not found
grub rescue"
I can't access Windows anymore! I need help!

It's because GRUB has no boot directory because you just removed it!

You'll need to use your Windows recovery disk to fix that, as Windows needs to overwrite the remains of GRUB with it's own bootloader (which I think it will do automatically if you do a recovery...)

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I think it's interesting that several people have said how crappy Windows is. I haven't had any problems with Windows itself since Windows 98 (awful dreadful that). I certainly haven't had the number of hardware issues that I've had with various versions of linux or linux disributions.

I use Linux because I like the open source movement and because I can solve those problems myself, but if I'm perfectly capable of running windows without a single snag (or maybe I've just been lucky?)

Frak
November 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM
You'll need to use your Windows recovery disk to fix that, as Windows needs to overwrite the remains of GRUB with it's own bootloader (which I think it will do automatically if you do a recovery...)

You need to do fixmbr and fixboot if you're using XP. Very easy operation.

Xbehave
November 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I use Linux because I like the open source movement and because I can solve those problems myself, but if I'm perfectly capable of running windows without a single snag (or maybe I've just been lucky?)
It's variable, I ran into a few problems with windows, my biggest problem is trying to fix others systems. You give me a linux box i have a good chance of diagnosing the problem, between dmesg and a basic understanding of the stack I can figure out, what is wrong and if required what to google, who to ask and what to ask them, you give me a windows box and if the problem is not obvious all i can do is start turning stuff on/off resetting settings at random.
Even on boxes where I control everything, it's much easier to get to the root of a problem on linux than windows.

I'm also a big fan of OSS, not only for security reasons but also because it makes sense I can't see closed competitors being able to keep up with linux, etc.

WRT to the problem, it sounds like a windows problem, if the OS locks up when you insert a bad memory pen, I've run into it using DVDs that Vista made itself freezing up the OS when reinserted 2 seconds later or inserting photocards, the fact is even in vista windows can't handle removable media very well (linux can on the lower levels it's just certain GUIs arn't as good)

hoppipolla
November 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I think it's interesting that several people have said how crappy Windows is. I haven't had any problems with Windows itself since Windows 98 (awful dreadful that). I certainly haven't had the number of hardware issues that I've had with various versions of linux or linux disributions.

you've been very, very lucky. heh :)

Also, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is out. It's free and clobbers AVG in speed, resources, and detection (maybe not detection, but it's darn close). AVG runs at around 120MB on my machine at a given time, MSE runs at about 2MB. While I'm not stupid enough to put myself out there to get a virus, since the tools run nearly invisibly anyways, might as well.

Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/)

Yeah I'm gonna grab this - AVG is driving me up the bloody wall! lol