PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 won't boot after a side by side install with XP

vern-ak
November 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm a beginner but the install seemed to go normally but after the install I could boot into XP normally from Grub but when I choose Ubuntu I get the black and white logo for about a minute and then the screen goes black and nothing more happens. If I then hit enter I get the text in one of the screenshots attachment. (Hope these attachments show up)

Possible relevant information:
- This was a Dell Vostro 1500 notebook running XP and the hard drive was partitioned as C and D (D drive for data).
- I choose the dual boot side by side option for the Ubuntu 9.10 install and it seemed to go normally.
- It's possible I tried booting into XP right after the Ubuntu install to check it first before checking the new Ubuntu install (don't know if this could hurt anything)
- The first time I booted into XP it ran scandisk saying there was some dirty files or some comment like that - it completed successfully.
- Looking at the disk partitions in XP I see two Linux partitions taken from the C drive which is pretty much what I expected to see - see attachments.

I'm hoping you might have some ideas on fixing my Ubuntu install, complete with steps.
Thanks, Vern