PDA

View Full Version : Get started with MySql

Ozitraveller
January 30th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Anyone got any recommendations for getting started with MySql. I've had some experience with MSSql Server.

flyfishin
January 30th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Install it and head over to the mysql.com site and click on the Developer link and the documentation section.

defkewl
February 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Ozitraveller
February 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Thanks. I've been there, and it is generally useful. I'm really looking for a small tutorial like article to get me started. Some that goes through an install, how to configure the Administrator, start/stop service, and setup an existing database.

dataw0lf
February 18th, 2005, 03:15 AM
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Beginning-MySQL-Tutorial/

Although MySQL is often touted as a great beginner SQL database system (and I agree), be aware of SQLite (good for templating and simple stuff) and Postgres (for when you start _really_ learning SQL).

dataw0lf

Ozitraveller
February 18th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Although MySQL is often touted as a great beginner SQL database system (and I agree), be aware of SQLite (good for templating and simple stuff) and Postgres (for when you start _really_ learning SQL).

dataw0lf

Thanks dataw0lf!

I'm ok with sql, I work with MS SqlServer, access, and I have done some work (a while back) on Oracle. So using the command-line for sql is now almost forgotten.

Firebird looks ok too....

blixtra
February 18th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Getting started with MySQL is really easy. First you want to install the mysql server. Then you can start the server with this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

Then, because intially the root user has no password, we want to set the password like this:

mysqladmin -u root password myPassword

You can now login to the mysql server with this:

mysql -u root -p

You'll need to type in the password that you entered earlier.

Every new MySQL install has 2 databases: mysql and test. Do NOT screw up your mysql database because here is where all the permission and user info is. The test DB is for you to play around with. As was mentioned earlier the MySQL documentation is excellent. That's the main reason I prefer it over the other 2 mentioned above (maybe their docs are better nowadays.) You'll probably want to set up a new user next. The MySQL docs can help you there.

You mentioned that you're familiar with SQL, so you should be able to play around now.

Chris

Ozitraveller
February 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Getting started with MySQL is really easy. First you want to install the mysql server. Then you can start the server with this command:

Then, because intially the root user has no password, we want to set the password like this:

mysql -u root -p

Every new MySQL install has 2 databases: mysql and test. Do NOT screw up your mysql database because here is where all the permission and user info is. The test DB is for you to play around with. As was mentioned earlier the MySQL documentation is excellent. That's the main reason I prefer it over the other 2 mentioned above (maybe their docs are better nowadays.) You'll probably want to set up a new user next. The MySQL docs can help you there.

You mentioned that you're familiar with SQL, so you should be able to play around now.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated. I'll be trying this out today...

Ozitraveller
February 21st, 2005, 05:03 AM
Well it's quick, isn't it! And on windows too! (this comment is for v4.1)

Does anyone know when v5, with StoredProcs will be out? I can't it to install.

ryharv
August 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM
For what it's worth, I found the following MySQL tutorial extremely helpful. It's written for both windows and linux users and takes you all the way from installation to all the basic tasks of using and administering databases. I highly recommend it to someone who wants to learn MySQL but doesn't know where to start.

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/sql/downloading_mysql.php3

StatusWoe
September 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks a ton this was nice and easy.

Krewie
August 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Here is my tutorial on MySQL, simple and clean :D

http://simplyeasy.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/mysql-basics/

JohnE1
June 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM
For what it's worth, I found the following MySQL tutorial extremely helpful. It's written for both windows and linux users and takes you all the way from installation to all the basic tasks of using and administering databases. I highly recommend it to someone who wants to learn MySQL but doesn't know where to start.

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/sql/downloading_mysql.php3

Good link. Thanks!

JohnE1

atom_box
June 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM

dataw0lf

Holy crow, as a beginner, I found that above link SUPER useful. Two months ago I didn't even know what a database was. I have spent 3 frustrating mornings trying to get started with a SQL program. Gave up after 2 days of no good beginner documentation on postgreSQL and switched to MySql. MySql seems to have more documentation. But then the cinch was your link, which was the most clear instructions I have read all week. Your link worked great.

I would add that, instead of downloading via RPM, I used the apt-get, as recommended on the MySql site. I typed:
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
That worked very painlessly.

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
This is just what I need. I haven't been too successful with MySQL yet.

Mirge
June 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Also you might consider looking into "MySQL Query Browser", available in Ubuntu repo's... under mysql-query-browser I believe.

mejohnsn
September 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM

mysql -u root -p

Every new MySQL install has 2 databases: mysql and test.

I just followed the install instructions at the top of this thread, and I got a 'mysql' database, but no 'test' database.

Even the directory /var/lib/mysql shows only 'mysql' and the databases I created myself, 'menagerie' (following the tutorial) and 'wvcmusiclibrary' (my own experimentation).

Just for reference, 'mysql --version' shows:

mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.67, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2.

ooolongT
February 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I looked for two days for this: sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

Works on Ubuntu too!

And for those of us who are a little slow, I also figured out after two days that if you dont set up a password, you need to login using:

User: root
PW: the root password for the computer

I know, I am not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but figured I would throw it out there anyway.

PhantomPhlier
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I must be a dope - after successfully installing on Ubuntu and trying to set the admin password, I get:

bill-desktop:~$ mysqladmin -u root password <mynewpasswordhere>
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Tried restarting, stopping, starting (all appeared to work). Checked the config, correct initial port, etc. as in all of the old posts.

Any ideas?

Hellkeepa
February 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM
HELLo!

Sounds like the root user has a password set already.

Happy codin'!

mejohnsn
February 18th, 2010, 02:21 AM
HELLo!

Sounds like the root user has a password set already.

Happy codin'!

Really? But then what does the message "Using password [NO]" mean? Does that only refer to his logon attempt, rather than to the security settings on his installation of MySQL?

As for what it does mean, I can only add this: it means he has network connectivity, he actually did get to 127.0.0.1 (no mean feat, even though this is the same as 'localhost'), he didn't firewall himsself into oblivion, but the MySQL server is refusing the connection.

I have always hated the error messages of MySQL. They are SO obscure and misleading!

So don't feel like a dope if you can't get this to work. This is the normal frustration of working with MySQL. Hang in there.

PhantomPholly
February 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Really? But then what does the message "Using password [NO]" mean? Does that only refer to his logon attempt, rather than to the security settings on his installation of MySQL?

As for what it does mean, I can only add this: it means he has network connectivity, he actually did get to 127.0.0.1 (no mean feat, even though this is the same as 'localhost'), he didn't firewall himsself into oblivion, but the MySQL server is refusing the connection.

I have always hated the error messages of MySQL. They are SO obscure and misleading!

So don't feel like a dope if you can't get this to work. This is the normal frustration of working with MySQL. Hang in there.

Thanks! The root password did the trick - Doh!

Hellkeepa
February 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
HELLo!

mejohnsn: Yes, that error message reflects to that login attempt, and that attempt only. What it says, specifically, is that you did not provide the proper details to log in as the root password.
The "Using password [NO]" means that you didn't attempt to use a password in the login attempt, it says nothing about the status of whether or not the account has a password. That would be a rather big security issue, as it would make it trivial to figure out who have password protected their account, and who only relies on other means of restricting access.

Happy codin'!

jaya28inside
June 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
:confused:

i really got trouble now.
I thought it was done by installing mySQL from RPM using alien v.8.81
but, i got another prob, tough.

Is it possible that mysqld (or what we call daemon) is
not installed even we have done the mysql (server n client) installation via Alien?

seems most of the users got mysql from
synaptic or Ubuntu Software center using the internet connection... rather than downloading manual the RPM from mysql webpage, ... am i rite?

o gosh.

levis lover
June 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
can anyone please recommend a good book for sql ?
i would be using mysql on ubuntu ..

Hellkeepa
June 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
HELLo!

jaya28inside: Remove the RPM-based MySQL installation you've done, completely (purge). Then install it from the repo, like any other piece of software on *Ubuntu.

Happy codin'!

ruehara
July 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
can anyone please recommend a good book for sql ?
i would be using mysql on ubuntu ..

O'Reilly have a good book - "MySQL & mSQL". Also there is a SAMS publication called "Teach yourself SQL in 10 minutes" The title is a bit optimistic but it's a handy pocket-sized reference.

I think mysql have a downloadable PDF manual which would be your best resource. In operation there is not a great deal of difference between any of the Linux variants.

suryagarlapati
October 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
after starting mysql . i cannot set the password with this command
mysqladmin -u root password myPassword error getting is mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

jaya28inside
October 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
surely

why don't you just execute this one?

$> mysql -u root -p

ENTER!

it will ask password, and type it, next ENTER again!
bravo!

buckyaustin
January 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM
surely

why don't you just execute this one?

$> mysql -u root -p

ENTER!

it will ask password, and type it, next ENTER again!
bravo!

I made this file and put it on my desktop, so now all i have to do is double click and type my password. This then starts mysql.

empty text file, renamed to MYSQL
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=MySQL
Comment=MySQL Database Design Tool
Exec=mysql -u root -p
Icon=/usr/share/mysql-workbench/images/MySQLWorkbench-48
Path=
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=false

I will be using a picture, but for ease of use since you wont have the same picture I left it out. Hope you enjoy. I couldn't have done that unless I read the comments here.

lisati
January 31st, 2012, 12:09 AM
Abracadabra! And with that, the thread goes back to sleep.