PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully easy Glade question re GtkEntryBuffer

M4rotku
November 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build an interface with glade and it's my first time starting a GtkBuilder from scratch. I am finding the buffer things rather confusing. I have it down for the most part except for this one. I have a GtkEntry and it needs a GtkEntryBuffer and I know this makes me sound like an idiot, but I can't find the GtkEntryBuffer anywhere in the menu. I tried using a GtkTextBuffer for it, but I couldn't load it. Can anyone tell me where to look in the menu. I think I've gone through all of the options I've been able to find.

Much thanks,
M4rotku

M4rotku
November 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
bump, still can't find how I'm supposed to do it.

M4rotku
November 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
bump

M4rotku
November 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Well, I thought that this would be easy. If itīs something really obvious, donīt be shy to point it out.

G|N|
November 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
What language are you using?
I looked on the web and i did not find a lot of information about a GtkEntryBuffer. If you only want to show or get text in an entry, there is no need for a GtkEntryBuffer.

I also think that if you really need it, you have to add it in your code and not in your glade file.

Show us your code or tell us what you are trying to do.

M4rotku
November 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I am using python, but this is still all within the glade file. I am using GTKbuilder for the glade type. I am going to include snapshots that will hopefully show what is going on. I canīt really explain it better in words, because Iīve never used gtkbuilder before.

The first screenshot shows the whole glade window with the buffer option and the button I pressed to get to the second screenshot.

All I want to do is put a default string in the GtkEntry.

M4rotku
November 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
bump

M4rotku
November 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
bump, still lost and confused.

kknd
November 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
GTK+ 2.18 separated the GtkEntry into GtkEntry and GtkEntryBuffer, but Glade doesn't support this yet. You will have to wait an update, or write the GtkBuilder XML by hand.

P.S: seems that you can still use GtkEntry with the 'default' buffer (just ignore the buffer property), having the same behavior of older versions.

M4rotku
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
if i start the project over and at the beginning select to use an older version of gtk, then will i be able to avoid this problem?

M4rotku
November 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I just checked and I was using GTK 2.16, not 2.18? does this make a difference or will reverting back to an older version still solve the problem?

I think I may have checked in the wrong place though. I checked in the īPreferencesī in Glade. If this is not the correct place to check/change it, then please let me know.

Much thanks,
M4rotku

ib.lundgren
November 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Haven't used gtkBuilder much either but in order to see what the fuss was about I opened up glade (v.3.6.7 Karmic), created a window and put a label, button and a entry in it. Then used this code to try it out:

import gtk

class SimpleGtk:

def __init__(self):
self.builder = gtk.Builder()
self.builder.add_from_file("/home/ib/Desktop/Test/test.glade")
self.builder.get_object("window1").show()
self.builder.connect_signals(self)

def on_button_clicked(self, args):
text = self.builder.get_object("entry1").get_text()
self.builder.get_object("label1").set_text(text)

def on_window_destroy(self, args):
gtk.main_quit()

if __name__ == "__main__":
simple = SimpleGtk()
gtk.main()

Which simply allows you to type some text, click the button and have the label say what you wrote. Nowhere in glade or elsewhere did I supply a specific buffer for the entry box.

M4rotku
November 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I think I was being prompted to use the buffer within the glade program so that I could have a default value for the text entry box.