PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else rolled back to 9.04?

Dvdre
November 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I was dual booting 9.04 with Windows Vista on a new Sony Vaio NW130, and all was working well. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I did a clean install and wiped the boot into Ubuntu. So I decided to reinstall 9.10 instead of 9.04.

OK, 9.10 looks nice while loading and it loads a bit quicker. But I could not -- after maybe 10 tries -- manage to get a driver loaded for the ATI Radeon 4570. When I tried to get the laptop to go to sleep upon the lid being shut, Ubuntu dimmed out and froze upon lid being opened. That happened every time, so I had to stop the laptop from going to sleep. When I tried to install software with Synaptic, I hit roadblocks and errors.

So I went back to 9.04 and I reinstalled the ATI driver in about 10 minutes and I downloaded Firefox 3.5 and got that running (the biggest feature I wanted from 9.10.)

I was glad to get a taste of 9.10 and I will probably like it in six months when it settles down.

philinux
November 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
On nvidia here so no problems at all. On lappy it's Intel integrated, again no problems.

Tholley
November 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I had a problem installing 9.10 on a very old pc, but was a grub problem that didn't get solved, (after extensive troubleshooting) and so re-istalled 9.04 and is working fine now.

but I must add, I do have 9.10 installed on a little newer machine and it works fine.

Phillip Spencer
November 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Certainly thinking about it! I did a clean install on i386 desktop and i386 laptop plus an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 on an AMD64 laptop and all had problems, particularly with slowed down internet - seems to be due to IPv6 & DNS (see bug #417757). Installing additional programs on the two clean installs kept bringing up msttcorefont problems (see bug #431217). Unfortunately, I had already done upgrade by this time which had latter problem during upgrade process.

Since the AMD64 is going to be used by my daughter for her college work I am trying to decide now whether to cut my losses and do a clean install of 9.04 or stick with 9.10 when I pass it over to her next week.

What is strange to me (as a newcomer to these forums and bug reporting... I was an ex-Windows, use Ubuntu out of the box person from 8.04 on) is the mixed experience I have been seeing on the Forum survey on 9.10... a number of people have dropped back to 9.04 but others had no issues whatsoever... those that do have seen a variety of problems.

For the survey and comments see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924

Hope you get a better insight from that!

coldReactive
November 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I tried using 8.04 even because of all the "problems." But I ended up having more problems than I could shake a stick at.

So I went back to Karmic, as it was seemingly better.

louieb
November 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Dual boot Jaunty and Karmic on my IBM T30 laptop. Still don't use Karmic much. I'm staying with Jaunty - and replacing karmic with the Lucid Lynx.

andrew.46
November 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have had a completely trouble-free time with Karmic Koala and would not consider rolling back. I could be wrong but my general impression is that this is the case with most users? Which is not to belittle the problems you have been having :).

Andrew

jeffxmora
November 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I am thinking about it!!!!

ibbill
November 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM
very soon 9.04 rocks 9.10 is a new vista

wojox
November 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I had a great time with 8.10 (first linux distro)

Had an even better time with 9.04.

9.10 is the greatest so far.

I must be pretty lucky.

ibbill
November 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
must be so far beta grub 1,97 no wireless seen drive is corrupt warning

have to insert password every time I want to do something

burnt 2 disk slowest speed as possible 2 different downloads also check sum was okay.

People I have convince to try ubuntu are not impress can't blame them.

Bill

Dvdre
November 13th, 2009, 03:58 AM
OP here ... well, like I said, I had 9.10 loading and actually it was working. I had sound, Internet, etc. What burned me (mainly) was the ATI Radeon 4570 driver, which was impossible to install. And I tried just about every recommended solution.

Every time I tried to make a tweak, something seemed to go wrong. But the basic functions worked great.

In 9.04, I seem to have a lot better luck making tweaks. For example, I got Firefox 3.5 running in a few minutes. OK, it is called Shiretoko, and that is weird, but it sounds cool. I switch the icon back to the Firefox icon.

And the ATI Radeon driver ... took me a couple minutes to install in 9.04.

9.04 just seems a little more flexible, and it certainly works great.

coldReactive
November 13th, 2009, 04:00 AM
OP here ... well, like I said, I had 9.10 loading and actually it was working. I had sound, Internet, etc. What burned me (mainly) was the ATI Radeon 4570 driver, which was impossible to install. And I tried just about every recommended solution.

Every time I tried to make a tweak, something seemed to go wrong. But the basic functions worked great.

In 9.04, I seem to have a lot better luck making tweaks. For example, I got Firefox 3.5 running in a few minutes. OK, it is called Shiretoko, and that is weird, but it sounds cool. I switch the icon back to the Firefox icon.

9.04 just seems a little more flexible, and it certainly works great.

ATI doesn't like linux as much as nvidia does. Intel's even worse at times.

occams_beard
November 13th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I would roll back if I had the time. I am regretting upgrading. Karmic just seems wayyyyyyyyy too buggy (And lots of people seem to agree).
Jaunty was flawless- best linux distro I've ever used. Karmic is the absolute pits.

Boot time for me is 2 to 3 times slower than it was in Jaunty.

coldReactive
November 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I would roll back if I had the time. I am regretting upgrading. Karmic just seems wayyyyyyyyy too buggy (And lots of people seem to agree).
Jaunty was flawless- best linux distro I've ever used. Karmic is the absolute pits.

Pretty dandy on my x64 tower, but yeah, I have to agree when I tried it on my T41 ThinkPad. Sheesh, straight back to windows.

dmillerct
November 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM

Everything in Karmic worked right out of the box for me. (see sig for hardware specs)

My boot times were 2 to 3 times faster in KK than JJ. Funny how different peoples experiences are. :D

kholdstare
November 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I really like 9.04 and to me karmic was a disappointment,for me it had a slower boot time and if it went to sleep it refused to connect to wireless so i just went back to jaunty.

peakpc
November 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
As with previous versions I am waiting for a few things to be fixed. but for now I'll stick it out. But only for a month or so if I don't see some progress. black screen on resume is the most prominent problem. and boot times while good are just a little slower than jaunty.

scared0o0rabbit
November 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I've toyed with the idea a little bit, mostly because of issues with how firefox is working for me. I'm having issues with it running a little slower for me on karmic than on jaunty (I was running 3.6 on jaunty, so I may try that again), and it's not related to the DNS issue.

technicallygeek
November 13th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I switched from Vista and haven't had a problem. I even have handpicked hardware in a system I built. ECS GeForce 7550 Motherboard, AMD Phenom 9550 X4, NVIDIA BFG 8400 GS, 4gb ram. 4.2GB /swap, 9gb /boot, 60gb / all on a 80gb SATA drive with /home on 160gb Seagate IDE.

I haven't had any problems... system boots fast runs good. I did setup a XP VM in Virtual Box but I haven't really messed with it since I installed it. I have Jaunty in a VM and Im working on setting up a VM that I use to test Lucid with. :D :D

Being a former Fedora user and now using Ubuntu I love it.

jeffxmora
November 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
finally I get tired and rolled back.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

soupowl
November 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
I've kept 9.10 on my laptop as it works brilliantly on it, and connects to the BT wireless router no worries. At home, though, on my PC I have had to roll back, because Karmic is way too slow on the wireless connection. Variables are the computer, the wireless adaptor and the router. I just keep hoping people are working on the wireless problems Karmic clearly has - I'm following the bugs 438771 and 417757 on Launchpad, and I hope someone takes them on.

pi.boy.travis
November 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
All of my Dell servers and Desktopd run 9.10 flawlessly, but my Dell Inspiron 1520 has this issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308126). . . I initially had wifi issues with my HP mini and UNR, but a quick ethernet hookup and a new driver fixed that. I had HUGE issues with 9.04 and anything that comes from intel, so I am happy that things are back to normal with 9.10. I rely on Ubuntu for my business, and it hasn't failed my yet!

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I'm going to wipe it and replace with Fedora, once I've finished downloading the DVD version.

Riffer
November 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I did an dist-upgrade 2 days after the release. It was the first time that an upgrade work flawlessly. The only tweak I had to do was to reset the Hue in totem for my video's.

My only annoyance is that an upgrade disables some of my software sources and I have to go back in and recheck them to get upgrades for some of my apps. A minor thing and easily fixed, except OpenOffice ppa seems to be down.