PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook Remix vs Kubuntu Netbook Remix vs Ubuntu Moblin Remix

andymorton
November 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm probably going to be buying a netbook next week and I've been thinking about which OS I should have on it. It'll have Windows 7 pre-installed and I'll have a look at it just out of curiosity. But I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about which Ubuntu netbook variant someone one should use.

The netbook will mainly be taking notes in lectures and doing research on the web. Nothing more than that really.

Cheers
andy

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hmhmhmmhm

Ubuntu netbook remix is the normal ubuntu, just rearranged so it fits smaller screens (i.e. netbooks)
http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix-Karmic-Koala_1.png
Kubuntu netbook remix is the normal kubuntu, and just like ubuntu netbook remix, it's just a rearranged version.

http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/KNE_u_i.png
Ubuntu moblin remix however, is ubuntu running on a different desktop environment from KDE and Gnome, which are the most popular desktop environments in the Linux world (from what I've seen, atleast).

Apparently there are a lot of bugs in Moblin and has been moved to Fedora (I think) so it's not recommended...

http://blog.canonical.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/06/ubuntu-moblin-remix-mzone.png

EDIT: When I meant by "fitting smaller screens" I refer to giving your screen to work and all. Some tool bars of programs hog half the netbook screen, so I think that is one of the reasons the netbook remix exists. I wish I had a netbook. That's all I'd ever need...

Shibblet
November 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
You know, one of my biggest problems with the Kubuntu Netbook Remix and the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (both Karmic) is that neither of them come with the standard KDE or Gnome desktop.

I have an MSI Wind, and the screen is only 10". I feel so much more comfortable with a fully functional desktop than I do with an iPhone-ish interface.

I like the fact that those interfaces are available, but why were the standard desktops not included in the distribution?

I am going to give the Ubuntu Moblin Remix a try, but I'd really like to be able to switch the UI off at any time, and see my happy desktop if I so please.

tuahaa
November 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know. But I think you can install the normal desktop and then install the netbook settings on top of it. I think it's "ubuntu-netbook-default-settings" and "kubuntu-netbook-default-settings" (for Kubuntu) in synaptic. I tried this on my laptop (which was much too big for the netbook remix) and I booted into a black screen! Luckily I could access the terminal and remove the netbook settings and reboot...

andymorton
November 12th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably install the netbook settings on top of the normal Ubuntu desktop. I'm intrigued by Moblin though. I think v2.1 came out recently.

cheers
andy

Incense
November 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Which netbook are you going to get? Watch out for the intel GMA 500 graphics chip. Takes some extra work to get it running. I'm very happy right now with 9.10 UNR.

gjoellee
November 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM
KNR is for people who would like to use KDE on their netbook. I cannot tell so much about KNR as I have never used it.

UNR is for people who would like to use GNOME on their netbook. UNR is a limited as Ubuntu, and is basically Ubuntu with a UI made for small screens.

UMR is for people who do a lot of social networking and a few other things. UMR is kind of more limited if you're doing other things than what UMR is designed for. However if you're only doing what UMR is designer for there is nothing that beats it :D

andymorton
November 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Which netbook are you going to get? Watch out for the intel GMA 500 graphics chip. Takes some extra work to get it running. I'm very happy right now with 9.10 UNR.

I'm not 100% sure yet. I've got it down to a shortlist (Toshiba NB200, HP Mini 110, Dell Mini 10 and a couple of others) but I probably won't decide for definite until I actually go to buy it.
Thanks for the advice about the graphics chip. :)

I might try out KNR. I'd like to use KDE on my laptop but it doesn't seem to want to work with my wireless connection. I hope I don't have the same problems with the netbook remix.

andy

mr-woof
November 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I had Easy Peasy 9.04 on my netbook and it was very buggy, videos didn't play well, then the graphics started to go all funny. I wiped it and installed 9.10 UNR and I'm very impressed, everything works! I've had no problems so far, I've tried quite a few distro's on there in the last couple of months and UNR is by the far the best.