PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reducing size of / partition after ubuntu 9.04 has been installed?

shriniketsarkar
November 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hi I have installed ubuntu 9.04 on my DELL 1320 laptop.
As needed that time i had installed it on the entire disk and now i need to make a separate drive out of the free space.
Is it possible to resize the root partition of this installed ubuntu so that i could make an additional drive of say 10Gb out of the unused 106gb?

Does this solution work :
Booting form the live cd and then using Gparted to resize the root partition directly ..... and then removing the CD and booting from the installed ubuntu OS ? Will the OS crash or not ?
Regards,
Shriniket Sarkar

viralmeme
November 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Does this solution work :
Booting form the live cd and then using Gparted to resize the root partition directly ..... and then removing the CD and booting from the installed ubuntu OS ? Will the OS crash or not ?
Regards,
Shriniket Sarkar
That should work ..

wojox
November 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
That should work ..

I second that.

cariboo
November 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Just don't get impatient, as it may take quite a while.

shriniketsarkar
November 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
That should work ..

Where does Ubuntu keep track of partitions .....or does it recalculates all the partitions on every boot from the actual size available ?

Because if i carry out the method that i talked about which you guys backed me up on ......is there a possibility that ubuntu may detect the change in the root partition size and may object the change ?
So any idea about how does it keep track of the sizes of the partitions?
Regards,
Shriniket Sarkar