PDA

View Full Version : Opensuse 11.2 to be just released!

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
OpenSuSe 11.2 has been officially released in a few hours.

You can start downloading here (http://news.softpedia.com/news/openSUSE-11-2-Officially-Released-126823.shtml).

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Though I'll be sticking to Ubuntu. ^.^

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Noticed speed increase and presence of ext4

RiceMonster
November 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Cool. I'm going to install this on my laptop, to give OpenSUSE a good run. I'll probably be installing Fedora 12 over it when it comes out though.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Though I'll be sticking to Ubuntu. ^.^

Me too I always stick too Kubuntu. Though I give a try to other distros too. Not that I don't find them good, but I just stick to Kubuntu since I started with it and don't have problems.:KS

Also I prefer debian based too RPM as it saves a cache of archives and can be ported from computer to computer!:KS

Ex0suit
November 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I prefer Ubuntu :)

RiceMonster
November 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I prefer Ubuntu :)

cool story bro

shuttleworthwannabe
November 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Here (http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/REVIEW-OpenSUSE-112-Exposes-Integrates-CommunityPackaged-Software-592187/)is a review already but dated 11/11/2009.

bigbrovar
November 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I tried the RC and i feel its KDE implementation is stunning. I am downing it now (althoug Kubuntu is running awesomely. That is why we have LiveCDs i can always try it there)

coolbrook
November 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I was impressed by openSUSE. I found Fedora's RC slow in comparison. Ubuntu seems faster than both. I'll try both new releases.

HappyFeet
November 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'm going to give the 64bit kde version a spin. Hopefully it will be better than kubuntu.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm going to give the 64bit kde version a spin. Hopefully it will be better than kubuntu.

Could you mention the issues you had with Kubuntu. Have you tried Kubuntu Karmic?

Henry Flower
November 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Happy birthday! Downloading now to try it, along with the new Mandriva and the upcoming Fedora. ;) Interesting times in Linuxworld.

Странник
November 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Just tried the livecd. Nothing different, just a prettier theme, but I can always change that.

CharlesA
November 12th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll give it a shot in a VM... might switch.. might not.. *shrugs*

FuturePilot
November 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Did they enable the freetype2 bytecode patch for subpixel font rendering?

HappyFeet
November 13th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I just tried opensuse kde, and when I went to download vlc and ivtv drivers, it wanted to install 700mb of files. Why? I would ask at the opensuse forums, but the sign up page is in german.

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I just tried opensuse kde, and when I went to download vlc and ivtv drivers, it wanted to install 700mb of files. Why? I would ask at the opensuse forums, but the sign up page is in german.

The VLC repository installs quite a bit of plugins.
And my sign up page was in english
did you go here?:
https://secure-www.novell.com/selfreg/jsp/createOpenSuseAccount.jsp?target=https://opensusestage.provo.novell.com

HappyFeet
November 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Could you mention the issues you had with Kubuntu. Have you tried Kubuntu Karmic?

Every distro I've tried using kde is a always glitchy. Kubuntu was the worst though. I built my computer with linux in mind, and have no problems with any other desktop environment. Is my computer kde incompatible? Is there such a thing?

HappyFeet
November 13th, 2009, 03:31 AM
The VLC repository installs quite a bit of plugins.
And my sign up page was in english
did you go here?:
https://secure-www.novell.com/selfreg/jsp/createOpenSuseAccount.jsp?target=https://opensusestage.provo.novell.com

I got the sign up thing sorted, but why would it need 700mb? That's never happened on any other distro.

Kunkles
November 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Tried it on my Mac Mini under VMware, I did notice a speed increase.

I still won't go Suse since Novell sold it's soul to Microtalentsoft

Simian Man
November 13th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I got the sign up thing sorted, but why would it need 700mb? That's never happened on any other distro.

This is just a guess, but perhaps it is pulling in the system upgrade when you try to install vlc because the version you're installing depends on the updated system libraries. Try doing a system update and then installing vlc.

praveesh
November 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I tried the RC and i feel its KDE implementation is stunning. I am downing it now (althoug Kubuntu is running awesomely. That is why we have LiveCDs i can always try it there)

what's special about their kde ?. Other than a cool wallpaper. Aren't the colour schemes and window decorators 'default kde' .?

DeadSuperHero
November 13th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Tried it on my Mac Mini under VMware, I did notice a speed increase.

I still won't go Suse since Novell sold it's soul to Microtalentsoft

Sigh...

http://www.fallen-legion.eu/news/data/upimages/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

SUSE never got "Sold out", Novell merely made an interoperability deal for SUSE enterprise Linux.

Windows Nerd
November 13th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Sigh...

http://www.fallen-legion.eu/news/data/upimages/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

SUSE never got "Sold out", Novell merely made an interoperability deal for SUSE enterprise Linux.

Dude, your Facepalm pictures always give me a good laugh. Thanks :)

gnomeuser
November 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I was impressed by openSUSE. I found Fedora's RC slow in comparison. Ubuntu seems faster than both. I'll try both new releases.

Perhaps, and I am only making a suggestion here.

You shouldn't be comparing speed between a final release without debugging enabled in the kernel and a development release with such features enabled.

Just saying..

toupeiro
November 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Suse was my distro of choice for many years. I'd been running it since the 5.x days. However, since switching to ubuntu around 6.10 I haven't looked back and still don't have a reason to.

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
11.2 kicks some serious @%&*, aside from a few bugs here and there it runs just fine on my machine.
It might be a keeper :D
I will see how well Lucid does though

VLC comes with a lot of payload in openSUSE, but its nothing to worry about.

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yipes, double post!
Sorry.

Rebelli0us
November 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I like it, how do I install it alongside Ubuntu?

I have a 2 disk system:
Disk 1 is Windows
Disk 2 is two partitions, 1st is empty, 2nd is Ubuntu.

Windows boots disk 1
Grub2 boots Disk 2

OpenSuse can go in the empty partition, and boot off the existing boot loader. How is that gonna work? Will the OpenSuse installer reconfigure the existing Grub?

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
what's special about their kde ?. Other than a cool wallpaper. Aren't the colour schemes and window decorators 'default kde' .?

I've tried Kubuntu Karmic and OpenSUSE 11.2 (I'm running it now), and both work great. OpenSUSE adds a few extra touches that are nice, like a custom lizard progress screen when starting the environment instead of the default kde emerging-icons. Of course there's nothing major different, but OpenSUSE does a good job at integrating the whole thing together in one lizard-y package vs Kubuntu leaving a lot of stuff default.

armageddon08
November 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I've tried Kubuntu Karmic and OpenSUSE 11.2 (I'm running it now), and both work great. OpenSUSE adds a few extra touches that are nice, like a custom lizard progress screen when starting the environment instead of the default kde emerging-icons. Of course there's nothing major different, but OpenSUSE does a good job at integrating the whole thing together in one lizard-y package vs Kubuntu leaving a lot of stuff default.

+1 to all that. And don't forget Firefox and OpenOffice KDE integration.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
+1 to all that. And don't forget Firefox and OpenOffice KDE integration.

Yeah, Firefox looks awesome in KDE (almost as good as the Windows version ;) ). I used Arora when I was on Kubuntu so I can't compare how the two distros integrate it.

Edit: I take it back, it looks BETTER than the Windows version. What was I thinking?!? :P

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the information .
But I personaly prefer the kde's emerging icon progress screen. The only things I don't like in default kde are the default colour schemes and the default window decorator(do anyone feel them beautiful). From the screenshots, I couldn't find them changed in opensuse . The firefox integration is great . But we should not forget that it was the kUbuntu devs who did the openoffice integration .

I understands what's the special. They made the kde a suse-kde , similar to what Ubuntu did with the Gnome .

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah, Firefox looks awesome in KDE (almost as good as the Windows version ;) ). I used Arora when I was on Kubuntu so I can't compare how the two distros integrate it.

Edit: I take it back, it looks BETTER than the Windows version. What was I thinking?!? :P

looks better than that in the win 7?

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the information .
But I personaly prefer the kde's emerging icon progress screen. The only things I don't like in default kde are the default colour schemes and the default window decorator(do anyone feel them beautiful). From the screenshots, I couldn't find them changed in opensuse . The firefox integration is great . But we should not forget that it was the kUbuntu devs who did the openoffice integration .

I understands what's the special. They made the kde a suse-kde , similar to what Ubuntu did with the Gnome .

That's fine! I don't want to put down Kubuntu, which is amazing.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:14 AM
looks better than that in the win 7?

haha, well probably not. But, knowing you didn't pay $200 to get that last bit of flair = priceless. :D

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM
VLC comes with a lot of payload in openSUSE, but its nothing to worry about.

It's unacceptable it needs to pull in 700mb worth of files, so I junked it. To run vlc, you basically have to reinstall your OS. Screw them.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
It's unacceptable it needs to pull in 700mb worth of files, so I junked it. To run vlc, you basically have to reinstall your OS. Screw them.

Uhh no, actually you might have wanted to try the VLC repository.
It has a little lighter version.
only 1MB

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Uhh no, actually you might have wanted to try the VLC repository.
It has a little lighter version.
only 1MB

I did do that. It still wanted to pull in over 700mb.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM

It did pull in a lot of dependencies when I installed it, but to be honest I didn't even look at the size. I'm still using waaay less than 512 MB RAM, out of 3 GB I have available. And hard drive space of the files is for all practical purposes a non-issue. I'm not exactly sweating it out over here. It's like the kernel, which people are now calling "bloated". So maybe VLC is big, but when you consider that it will play pretty much any format you throw at it, there is a reason for the size.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM
It did pull in a lot of dependencies when I installed it, but to be honest I didn't even look at the size. I'm still using waaay less than 512 MB RAM, out of 3 GB I have available. And hard drive space of the files is for all practical purposes a non-issue. I'm not exactly sweating it out over here. It's like the kernel, which people are now calling "bloated". So maybe VLC is big, but when you consider that it will play pretty much any format you throw at it, there is a reason for the size.

Thats how I see it, the VLC install packs a lot of codecs with it.
Good for beginners.

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Thats how I see it, the VLC install packs a lot of codecs with it.
Good for beginners.

I just don't see the reason it needs to download open office, gimp, and everything else installed, just to run vlc. In ubuntu, it takes me 30 seconds, and a couple of mb's to download vlc.

praveesh
November 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Some issues are always there with the new release of every distribution at the release time

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I just don't see the reason it needs to download open office, gimp, and everything else installed, just to run vlc. In ubuntu, it takes me 30 seconds, and a couple of mb's to download vlc.

It doesnt download all that on my install, what were you doing using VLC from the VLC repo?

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Ah, I begin to see. Strange, my install came with OO and Gimp anyway. ???

BTW, I have a perpetual feud with OO, because it depends on a ton of crap too, and I almost never use a word processor (or spreadsheet, or gui database, or whatever the heck Draw is...you get my point). Nevertheless, it is sitting there after installing any distro except possibly Arch and LFS. You can't really remove it or Gimp either, without dismantling Gnome. ](*,)

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Ah, I begin to see. Strange, my install came with OO and Gimp anyway. ???

BTW, I have a perpetual feud with OO, because it depends on a ton of crap too, and I almost never use a word processor (or spreadsheet, or gui database, or whatever the heck Draw is...you get my point). Nevertheless, it is sitting there after installing any distro except possibly Arch and LFS. You can't really remove it or Gimp either, without dismantling Gnome. ](*,)

You guys using the gnome install I assume then?
I did the DVD install, using KDE 4.3

Exodist
November 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM

LOL I feel your pain.

SuSE has always been dependency hell. Never in my life have I ever seen a distro complain about dep issues or just install so much junk by default.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM

No, I did the DVD KDE 4.3 install too. Also, using the Videolan repository for SuSE. I had Gimp and OpenOffice from the start.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
LOL I feel your pain.

SuSE has always been dependency hell. Never in my life have I ever seen a distro complain about dep issues or just install so much junk by default.

Actually its calmed down a bit over the last few versions, dependency hell is not as heavy as it once was.

No, I did the DVD KDE 4.3 install too. Also, using the Videolan repository for SuSE. Nevertheless, I had Gimp and OpenOffice anyway.

You using 64bit?
I am on the 32bit version here.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 05:49 AM
You using 64bit?
I am on the 32bit version here.

Nooooope, 32-bit here as well. So you didn't have Gimp and stuff to start with?

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Nooooope, 32-bit here as well. So you didn't have Gimp and stuff to start with?

No I did, weird issue you have there.
I did not face that with my 11.2 install.
Perhaps you should discuss it over on the openSUSE forum.
I personally did not have that issue, my VLC install just popped in a lot of files yes but it did not need to re install open office, gimp, whatever...

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 06:04 AM
It doesnt download all that on my install, what were you doing using VLC from the VLC repo?

Yes.

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 06:05 AM

I did discuss it there, and a mod told me that's just the way it is. Oh well. I was just testing it anyway. Bring on fedora.

nmccrina
November 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
No I did, weird issue you have there.
I did not face that with my 11.2 install.
I personally did not have that issue, my VLC install just popped in a lot of files yes but it did not need to re install open office, gimp, whatever...

I think we might both be a little confused... :o I had Open Office and Gimp by default, VLC did not reinstall those. (At least, I don't think it did; like I said, I didn't really look at the dependencies closely except to note that there were a lot of codec packages in there). Somebody else said they were reinstalled for them, though. My comment about not being able to uninstall Open Office and Gimp is something that has just generally bugged me throughout my Linux career. Whenever I try, I usually end up trying to delete gnome-panel or I break language support or something. Nowadays, I usually just leave them installed, just remove their menu icons. Sorry if I wasn't clear! :)

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM

I was trying the kde 64bit CD.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I did discuss it there, and a mod told me that's just the way it is. Oh well. I was just testing it anyway. Bring on fedora.

what topic did you post?
Just asking.
And good luck with fedora.

I was trying the kde 64bit CD.

Yeh you might have wanted to try the DVD installer, sometimes it works better for me then the live.
Not saying it will fix anything though.

HappyFeet
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM
what topic did you post?
Just asking.
And good luck with fedora.

It was "yast2 question".

As far as fedora, it's just another distro to test out. I don't plan on switching from ubuntu anytime soon.

Rebelli0us
November 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Bad news, I downloaded both the KDE & GNoME versions, booted DVD and neither version is able to connect to the Internet!

It's a new AM3 mobo on which both Windoz and Ubuntu run fine... it's very disappointing because we really need competition for windoz...

Simian Man
November 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
HappyFeet, now that you say that your update tried to pull in gimp and OpenOffice, I'm convinced that I had it right. Installing vlc does not need 700mb of files, it's just that you need to do a system update! Since vlc depends on Qt, media codec and so on and it needs to pull in updates to those packages which in turn pulls in those dependencies which you must install.

If you just did a system update, it would likely need the 700 mb. Then you can just install vlc which should not take much at all!

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I installed it this morning alongside Karmic, all good so far. :)

~sHyLoCk~
November 15th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Using openSUSE 11.2. Dropped Arch's KDE. Going to use openbox there.
openSUSE KDE >> all. Firefox integration is brilliant and so is openoffice. No need to tweak anything, everything works great ootb.
Those who have the problem with large updates, they are just extra language packs for openoffice mostly. It asked me to download 500Mb of updates but I went to -> yaST -> Software management -> Installation summary -> And taboofiy the language packs you don't need. I did so and it cutback my download size from 500 to 23 mb. :p
I think I might just settle with suse as it is quite stable for me and everything works great, and for the first time I can "suspend to disk" properly. Hats off to suse team for this great work.

symon1980
November 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM
The problem I have with Opensuse 11.2 is that it is a final release.... but the new repositories are not finished porting all the packages from 11.1, to 11.2... Alot of packages i use are not in the official repo's/packman or even the build service.... this is crazy, and frustrating... Where as in Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc, the packages are backward compatible and the repos are ALWAYS Full with just about every package you can imagine....

I been using Suse for about a year or more, but that ticked me off... so i installed kubuntu 9.10 for a while to test it out.... Apart from a couple very minor glitches, its working great. Although I wouldn't credit kubuntu devs for any extra special attention that Kubuntu deserves but is lacking....
however, Project Timelord sounds interesting.. I hope Kubuntu will move foreward in the future and bring the Best Kde distro in the linux world... it is def the easiest for new users to learn imo... thats a good thing ;)

Zoot7
November 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The problem I have with Opensuse 11.2 is that it is a final release.... but the new repositories are not finished porting all the packages from 11.1, to 11.2... Alot of packages i use are not in the official repo's/packman or even the build service.... this is crazy, and frustrating... Where as in Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc, the packages are backward compatible and the repos are ALWAYS Full with just about every package you can imagine....
Gotta agree there, that is one of the short comings of SUSE. It's one of the reasons I keep going back to Ubuntu from it.

pwnst*r
November 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
HappyFeet, now that you say that your update tried to pull in gimp and OpenOffice, I'm convinced that I had it right. Installing vlc does not need 700mb of files, it's just that you need to do a system update! Since vlc depends on Qt, media codec and so on and it needs to pull in updates to those packages which in turn pulls in those dependencies which you must install.

If you just did a system update, it would likely need the 700 mb. Then you can just install vlc which should not take much at all!

lol, i was gonna say... VLC .exe on windows is <15MB.

kio_http
November 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
lol, i was gonna say... VLC .exe on windows is <15MB.

What's the point of driving the thread off topic. The thread is about OpenSuSe's release not VLC etc

derhundchen
November 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
To HappyFeet:

You don't need gimp and openoffice to run vlc. Gimp and openoffice are recommended packages that zypper downloads automatically (adobe's flashplayer and java are among those recommended packages too) alongside any package you want to install.
if you were trying to install vlc from the command line I think there's a command to avoid installing recommended packages (but I'll have to look into it). If you were installing vlc from yast, you can deselect the packages you didn't want to install and you can block them in order to prevent their installation in the future.

Cheers and have a lot of fun!

froggyswamp
November 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
"Opensuse 11.2 to be just released" I'm Ballmer and I approve this message :)

Uncle Spellbinder
November 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I like it, how do I install it alongside Ubuntu?

I have a 2 disk system:
Disk 1 is Windows
Disk 2 is two partitions, 1st is empty, 2nd is Ubuntu.

Windows boots disk 1
Grub2 boots Disk 2

OpenSuse can go in the empty partition, and boot off the existing boot loader. How is that gonna work? Will the OpenSuse installer reconfigure the existing Grub?

Good question. Anyone have an answer? Curious myself as I'm dual booting Win 7, Ubuntu Karmic. Have 60 gigs of unallocated space.

phrizek
November 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I downloaded the 64-bit KDE livecd of openSUSE and was so impressed that I installed it onto my hard drive. My initial impressions are that this is a fantastic OS marred by a confusing package manager and settings manager (yast). I'm really impressed by KDE4 and honestly think that it gives Windows 7 a run for its money. I think anyone comfortable with windows xp would feel right at home in the KDE4 desktop, and that there really aren't very many good reasons to spend hundreds of dollars on 7 when you could get a quality distro like openSUSE instead.

~sHyLoCk~
November 16th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Good question. Anyone have an answer? Curious myself as I'm dual booting Win 7, Ubuntu Karmic. Have 60 gigs of unallocated space.

Go right ahead, suse will detect them. It uses grub-gfx and not grub2. So you can also edit menu.lst if needed easily.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Installed the Gnome flavor of openSUSE. Very nice, indeed. Getting use to Yast can be a bit daunting, but I'm really liking it. My first non-Debian based install.

symon1980
November 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm happily settled in Arch Linux :)

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm happily settled in Arch Linux :)

Why did you bump this thread to say that?

symon1980
November 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
because I felt like it.... Why post to say your happy using Opensuse? Why bump this thread to ask why did you bump this thread?