PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking my childhood if parents were right

mjp29
November 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
As a child I remember being in the back seat of the car traveling to our vacation destination, the sun was brightly in my eyes in the windshield in front of my parents. I said "I hate the sun." My parents were quick to correct me that I should never hate the sun because it supplies with many things including our very existence of staying alive.

My friend told me on the phone that her father, while mowing the grass, when she was standing under a very old oak tree on their farm, drove the very large farm tractor mower right up to her, scaring her to death initially, then her father pulled out his firearm and pointed it at her, frightening her, and shot and missed her. Turns out her father shot a poisenous snake that was between her two feet.

Comments and replies please.

ZankerH
November 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have no idea what this thread is about.

Kdar
November 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
yes... where is connection between "I hate sun" and big snake?

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
reality is grossly underrated.

forrestcupp
November 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't taken the time to try to figure out the correlation, but the second story is pretty amazing. Thank you for that.

xpod
November 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Rethinking my childhood if parents were right

When i was a lad of 14 i thought my parents were stupid but by time i was 21 i was stunned at just how much they`d learned in that short space of time..

koleoptero
November 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
reality is grossly underrated.
+1

stuart.reinke
November 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
My daughter is just getting to the age where MY intellingence is rapidly deminishing. :)

samh785
November 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I think the relationship is that the friend was standing under a tree (out of the sun)

mjp29
November 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
When i was a lad of 14 i thought my parents were stupid but by time i was 21 i was stunned at just how much they`d learned in that short space of time..

I got a good chuckle out of that. And it's true, especially for teenagers. Some teenagers think they know everything and think their parents are as dumb as dirt. Then when the teenagers grow older [become young adults] and are no longer teens, they all of a sudden, often realize, that their parents aren't stupid and are wise.

Good reply - thanks!

koshatnik
November 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM
My friend told me on the phone that her father, while mowing the grass, when she was standing under a very old oak tree on their farm, drove the very large farm tractor mower right up to her, scaring her to death initially, then her father pulled out his firearm and pointed it at her, frightening her, and shot and missed her. Turns out her father shot a poisenous snake that was between her two feet.

On a pedantic note, the snake would have been venomous not poisonous. I think there are only two species of snake that are poisonous and would therefore be of no threat to a human being unless they decided to eat it.

Other than that, I felt the story needed more lasers and robots.

Elfy
November 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
My daughter is just getting to the age where MY intellingence is rapidly deminishing. :)

My daughter is just getting to the age where MY sanity is rapidly diminishing. :)

Bucky Ball
November 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Whatever you're on, can I have some? Then again, maybe a bad idea .................................................. ..

S**T, why did I even post on this thread?

daverich
November 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
why didn't he just say "hold still, theres a snake"

?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Grenage
November 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM

What, and miss the chance of blowing his daughter's foot off?

JillSwift
November 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM

?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Because no one ever holds still when you say "hold still, there's a <danger>".

mjp29
November 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
LOL. Interesting it is, how your intelligence will rapidly decline i almost no time at all then a few years later [when the child becomes a young adult] your intelligence returns to it's previous level and often increases above that and you are then considered a wise person.

Very good reply - thank you!

xpod
November 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
My daughter is just getting to the age where MY sanity is rapidly diminishing. :)

With 5 children of our own, ranging in age from 5 right through to nearly 17(our one boy), i`ve often considered sticking my head down the toilet and pleading insanitary.

:-#

Grenage
November 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Because no one ever holds still when you say "hold still, there's a <danger>"

I am fairly sure that should anyone point a gun at me, I'd move!

Kingsley
November 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Despite what many might think, the parent is well known across hundreds of nations all over the world. the parent has been around for several centuries and has a very important meaning in the lives of many. It would be safe to assume that the parent is going to be around for a long time and have an enormous impact on the lives of many people. Social & Cultural Factors
the parent has a large role in American Culture. Many people can often be seen taking part in activities associated with the parent. This is partly because people of most ages can be involved and families are brought together by this. Generally a person who displays their dislike for the parent may be considered an outcast.
Economic Factors
It is not common practice to associate economics with the parent. Generally, the parent would be thought to have no effect on our economic situation, but there are in fact some effects. The sales industry associated with the parent is actually a 2.3 billion dollar a year industry and growing each year. The industry employs nearly 150,000 people in the United States alone. It would be safe to say that the parent play an important role in American economics and shouldn't be taken for granted.
Environmental Factors
After a three month long research project, I've been able to conclude that the parent doesn't negatively effect the environment at all. A the parent did not seem to result in waste products and couldn't be found in forests, jungles, rivers, lakes, oceans, etc... In fact, the parent produced some positive effects on our sweet little nature.
Political Factors
Oh does the parent ever influence politics. Last year 5 candidates running for some sort of position used the parent as the primary topic of their campaign. A person might think the parent would be a bad topic to lead a campaign with, but in fact with the social and environmental impact is has, this topic was able to gain a great number of followers. These 5 candidates went 4 for 5 on winning their positions.
Conclusion
the parent seem to be a much more important idea that most give credit for. Next time you see or think of the parent, think about what you just read and realize what is really going on. It is likely you under valued the parent before, but will now start to give the credited needed and deserved.

Penguin Guy
November 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
@ Kingsley

Okay...

amingv
November 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I am fairly sure that should anyone point a gun at me, I'd move!

Think about it: her father was able to devise the snake from (presumably) many meters away, then he had the coolness of mind to come slowly in his tractor and the aim to shoot the snake full knowing her daugter might be in danger if he missed by a couple inches (and presumably hit the snake in the head, since snakes are hard-to-kill fellows).
This is obiously a kick-a** sniper-sort-of-parent, and his daugther, who knows him well, knew she was screwed anyway and was probably saying her prayers, thus she didn't move.
I would't be surprised if her father was Chuck Norris. :P

Swagman
November 12th, 2009, 05:50 PM
My parents taught me not to use the term hate when I really mean dislike.

Hate overrides all sensibilities.

A very destructive, all consuming emotion.

Ex0suit
November 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
as a child i remember being in the back seat of the car traveling to our vacation destination, the sun was brightly in my eyes in the windshield in front of my parents. I said "i hate the sun." my parents were quick to correct me that i should never hate the sun because it supplies with many things including our very existence of staying alive.

the sun can cause cancer

JillSwift
November 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Think about it: her father was able to devise the snake from (presumably) many meters away, then he had the coolness of mind to come slowly in his tractor and the aim to shoot the snake full knowing her daugter might be in danger if he missed by a couple inches (and presumably hit the snake in the head, since snakes are hard-to-kill fellows).
This is obiously a kick-a** sniper-sort-of-parent, and his daugther, who knows him well, knew she was screwed anyway and was probably saying her prayers, thus she didn't move.
I would't be surprised if her father was Chuck Norris. :P
If her father was Chuck Norris, the snake would have never ventured that close. If it had been so foolish, it would have died from Norris' "roundhouse glare" from 50m away.

amingv
November 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM
If her father was Chuck Norris, the snake would have never ventured that close. If it had been so foolish, it would have died from Norris' "roundhouse glare" from 50m away.

Yes, but that might actually have killed the child, too.
Sure, Chuck can probably resurrect her, but why double the effort?

Grenage
November 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM
So from this thread we can safely deduce that having Chuck Norris as a father would be both a blessing and a curse ;)

forrestcupp
November 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I think I finally understand the original post! When he was in the car and said, "I hate the sun", his dad thought he said, "I hate your son", in which he was supposedly talking about himself. So the second story is an anecdote talking about a father's love and protection of his child, teaching us that we shouldn't hate ourselves because we have parents who love us. ;)

Think about it: her father was able to devise the snake from (presumably) many meters away, then he had the coolness of mind to come slowly in his tractor and the aim to shoot the snake full knowing her daugter might be in danger if he missed by a couple inches

Ha, ha. That reminds me of Austin Powers when somebody was about to get run over by a steamroller moving about 1 mph. He just stood there screaming for a few minutes until he finally got run over. :)

uberdonkey5
November 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM

+1

there are things we can only learn with experience, and there are some things we have to take in their specific context.

There is a chinese story of a man who had 2 sons, both traders. One was travelling through a bad area, and bandits attacked him and he tried to stop them taking his goods, but was killed. The father therefore said to the second son 'if you are attacked by bandits, let them have your goods, as it is not worth your life'. The second son was travelling through the same area, and bandits approached him. He let them have all the goods, and rushed towards the nearest town. The bandits, fearing he would tell the police there, chased him and killed him.

the moral being... every situation is different and you have to make a judgement at the time!

If a man rushed towards me with a gun, my first reaction would be that he was trying to shoot me.

NoaHall
November 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
the sun can cause cancer

This is my excuse whenever someone tries to force me to remove my clothes at the beach.

blueturtl
November 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I got a good chuckle out of that. And it's true, especially for teenagers. Some teenagers think they know everything and think their parents are as dumb as dirt. Then when the teenagers grow older [become young adults] and are no longer teens, they all of a sudden, often realize, that their parents aren't stupid and are wise.

Good reply - thanks!

An exchange between a young person and an old person comes to mind:

Young person: Wow, you're like so old and wise - you must know everything!
Old person: My dear boy, I'm not young enough to know everything. ;)

I can't remember where this is from but it certainly seems to wrap up the idea about teenage wisdom. :)

uberdonkey5
November 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
This is my excuse whenever someone tries to force me to remove my clothes at the beach.

well, there are lots of cancer deaths linked with TOO LITTLE sun, especially in the US where people are paranoid about cancer. Sunshine is a great source of Vitamin D, which helps to prevent cancer. Getting moderate sunshine is very benenficial for health.

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/000810/48/

NoaHall
November 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
well, there are lots of cancer deaths linked with TOO LITTLE sun, especially in the US where people are paranoid about cancer. Sunshine is a great source of Vitamin D, which helps to prevent cancer. Getting moderate sunshine is very benenficial for health.

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/000810/48/

I already know that. I said it's my excuse.