PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 9.10 - I can't start Firefox anymore

Archmage
November 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
While using Firefox and installing the latest patch my PC did have a power failure.

After restarting the PC I'm unable to start firefox anymore.

Either double-clicking or entering it in the command promp will start firefox (it is saying "starting Firefox" in a new window), but it will exit without any comment.

I already did a "sudo aptituide purge firefox".

I even remove the whole firefox-folder (to make a new profil), but it is still not helping.

Giblet5
November 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
When you try to start firefox from the command line, what gets displayed in the terminal window where you started it?

That's where error messages will go...

husayn
November 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
hello everyone, i'm also having same problem with my firefox after updating to 9.10

Archmage
November 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
When you try to start firefox from the command line, what gets displayed in the terminal window where you started it?

That's where error messages will go...

I got no message at all.

I type firefox and the command promt change into the next line and it is ready for the next command. Meanwhile Firefox is trying to start, I get the graphical additional window that is saying "starting Firefox" and that is the last thing I ever see. Even a "ps -A | grep fire" will show nothing.

I did wait and hope for at least five minuts but there was no sign of firefox at all.

Giblet5
November 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure firefox

If that doesn't work, look at the end of ~/.xsession-errors and see if there are some useful messages from firefox.

Archmage
November 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure firefox

After that I got the following error message

Could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9.1 and 1.9.1.*.

After a short time I did find the solution to reinstall xulrunner.