PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make a backup archive without compression

ario
November 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Guys.
I have all of my valuable documents on one of my partitons mounted on you say /home/documents.
I used to backup all the file in this patition using brasero disk burner or Nero Linux software on 2 DVDs. Just add half of my files and folders to a dvd and another half of my files and folder to another dvd compilation and then clicking burn.
Now the problem is some of my files have a path more than 255 characters long. This cause an error of "could not create disk image" in brasero and a warning of "Disk may not usable in some OS's" in Nero Linux.
I can not decrease those type of my files paths. I decided to archive all them into an image file. split that file in 4GB parts and then burn them into 2 dvds.
Archiving files take a whole day to complete. I can not pay about 10 hours to do this. I can not use rsync or grsync either. Because I want to backup my files on a DVD (A read only volume).
All I need is a file archiver (I prefer it with a GUI front end) that have an special option to not compress files and just put them all in archive. (So it will be faster to complete).
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your attention guys:)

wojox
November 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Gnome File Roller aka Archive Manager

ario
November 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks. I used gnome file ruller but there was no options to set level of compressions.
I need to archive my files without any compressions. I do not have 8 to 9 hours of time to compress the hole partition. I also don't want to use partimage. Because then I can not extract any of my files from archive if a bit of archive corrupt.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your attention guys.

ario
November 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Solved!
I used

7z a -t7z -v4g -mx0 /home/MyName/documents.7z /home/documents
to backup my /home/documents folder. It also splits output file to 4GB files.
Thanks God:D