PDA

View Full Version : Qualcomm To Announce First Smartbook

Ric_NYC
November 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Wireless technology giant expected to reveal a new type of netbook Nov. 12.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1285/wistronpursebook.jpg

It's not every day that a technology company creates a new gadget category. So when Qualcomm announced a thin, light computing device it calls a smartbook, people paid attention. Now, after a nearly six-month wait, Qualcomm executives told Forbes that the first smartbook will be announced on Nov. 12, during the company's annual analyst meeting in New York.

The smartbook idea is based on Qualcomm's ( QCOM - news - people ) experience as the world's largest cellphone-chip maker. Like smart phones, smartbooks are designed to be constantly connected to high-speed (3G) wireless data networks as well as being energy-efficient, with perhaps eight hours of battery life . They will also incorporate typical smart phone features, such as GPS technology and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, and weigh less than two pounds.

Like netbooks, smartbooks can be used for surfing the Web, watching video and checking e-mail. But while netbooks generally run on Intel ( INTC - news - people ) chips and feature Windows software, smartbooks are based on a Qualcomm processor called Snapdragon and run Linux software.

Dan Novak, Qualcomm's vice president of global marketing, says 40 Snapdragon-based devices (including smartbooks and smart phones) are in the works, from 15 different manufacturers. Most of these smartbooks will debut in early 2010. Qualcomm declined to reveal details about the device that will be announced later this week, except that it is also a smartbook.

PC vendor ASUS, which exhibited a smartbook prototype in June at an industry show, is likely on board. Phone maker Nokia ( NOK - news - people ) is also rumored to be developing a smartbook. Novak says early smartbooks will look like thinner, lighter versions of netbooks, but the category will expand to include computer tablets and touch-screen devices.

Qualcomm has another gadget for the holidays: a mobile TV player it calls Personal Television, or PTV. The handheld touch-screen device, which supports Qualcomm's digital mobile TV service, FLO TV, will be available for $249 in big box electronic stores starting Nov. 13. (Several AT&T ( T - news - people ) and Verizon ( VZ - news - people ) Wireless phones, including the new HTC Imagio, are also compatible with FLO TV.)

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/10/smartbook-netbook-chips-technology-personal-qualcomm.html

More info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fEOh45iDQ

myusername
November 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
the only thing i hate about this is the fact that their totally for linux but they still have the famous "Windows Key" c'mon...use something else. it hardly gets used anyway

gnomeuser
November 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Qualcomm has a notoriously bad working relationship with the Open Source community, I would worry that these devices end up using some kind of specially engineered, and never submitted to upstream nor in an upstreamable manner, patches that micro optimize for the platform. Thus leading users to have to wait or miss out on things like security updates as upstream progresses and Qaulcomm has to backport their patches.

The recipe for disaster.

kpholmes
November 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
i like the idea of a really small portable companion like this or a netbook thats more comfortable to use then my iphone but id only buy it if they had a commandline and i could use ssh, maybe x11 forwarding.

does anyone know if netbook remix has a cli with ssh and x11 forwarding?

Regenweald
November 13th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I was going to start a thread on this, but actually used the forum search feature. Kudos to me :)
Anyways, in the eternal words of Shang Tsung: 'IT HAS BEGUN!!'
I look forward to better implementations of the CortexA9 and Tegra...