PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time install experience

majest
November 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I just wanted to share a few thoughts regarding my first install of Ubuntu (and any distro for that matter).

I bought an EEEPC 1000 a year ago and made do with the horrible Easy Linux that came preinstalled. Due to laziness I kept with it even though it was major hassle trying to obtain some familiar programs from work - Octave, gvim, OpenOffice, etc.

So yesterday I decided to go with a mainsteam distro. After some research I decided on Easy Peasy. I needed to be burnt twice by the "Easy" moniker to really learn :) After 1/2 a day of trying to remove the cruft I decided to upgrade via update to 9.10. That did NOT work out. The mouse stopped working and basically after rooting around for a while I still saw signs of Easy Peasy present (in #comments inside config files) and abandoned it.

After a misguided departure to Mandriva (USB live was flakey, wireless did not work, plus other problems...), I found a few posts saying Ubuntu update was not reliable, so then went back to 9.10 but from a clean install.

MUCH BETTER!!!! It worked right out of the box, just like it said it would :) GREAT JOB. I spent some time configuring the look and feel and it's really very flexible. There are a few silly issues remaining:

- no way to disable hibernate/suspend/lock screen features
- if you change the Main Menu icon, there's a small black arrow you can only remove by recompiling
- gvim gives a bunch of warnings about gtk_form_set_static_gravity
- sticky windows are way too sticky, no way to change without downloading a package

All these issues are know, at least there are reports on the web about all of them. Hopefully they'll all get resolved in 9.11!

mrboojive
November 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
All these issues are know, at least there are reports on the web about all of them. Hopefully they'll all get resolved in 9.11!

I'm glad you're enjoying Ubuntu! Welcome to the community! The next release will actually be numbered 10.04, not 9.11. Ubuntu is released every 6 months and releases are numbered based on the month and year, e.g., the 10/2009 release is called 9.10. So 9.11 would mean November of 2009, but there's not going to be another major release until April of next year.

- no way to disable hibernate/suspend/lock screen features

Do you mean that you want to stop Ubuntu from automatically hibernating/suspending/locking the screen? I believe you can do this using the Gnome Power Manager by going to System > Administration > Power Management.