PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] change to vlc as preferred application

groovomata
November 12th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I would like to change from Movie Player to VLC player as my preferred viewer for my video files, because I find the sound quality better with VLC. As well, playback seems a little uneven with Movie Player. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to do this. System >> Preferences >> Preferred Applications, doesn't have an option for that (which seems like an obvious omission). Does anyone know how to do that?
Thanks,
Erik.

mrboojive
November 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
In Ubuntu, you change which application opens a type of file by using the file manager. Go to the file manager, find a movie file, right click on it and select properties, then click on the "Open With" tab and choose VLC. In the future, all movies of that type will open with VLC.

oldos2er
November 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I would like to change from Movie Player to VLC player as my preferred viewer for my video files, because I find the sound quality better with VLC. As well, playback seems a little uneven with Movie Player. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to do this. System >> Preferences >> Preferred Applications, doesn't have an option for that

Under the Multimedia tab on Preferred Applications, choose 'Custom' and type in vlc.

groovomata
November 13th, 2009, 02:16 AM
In Ubuntu, you change which application opens a type of file by using the file manager. Go to the file manager, find a movie file, right click on it and select properties, then click on the "Open With" tab and choose VLC. In the future, all movies of that type will open with VLC.
Thank you very much. I did that and it worked. I looked there but I thought that it was only the properties for that particular file.

groovomata
November 13th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Under the Multimedia tab on Preferred Applications, choose 'Custom' and type in vlc.
I didn't try this one yet, however I did see the pull down menu and the custom option.
Thank you.

ogromano
January 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hi...

Neither of these methods worked for me. When I was on 8.04 I used the Open with method to change the preferred app, but now in Karmic, it just doesn't actually assign the new preferred app after it is selected from the list... and for changing to Custom and writing vlc, it also doesn't work.. but I don't want all multimedia files to be opened with the same program... I use Banshee for music and Vlc for movies.

Right now, right-clicking on an .avi or .mp3 file both say Open with Mplayer as the first choice eventhough I tried both methods above...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ogromano
January 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Found a workaround to this issue in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8657377&postcount=10

mwilkinson71
June 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have the same problem; I followed the link and don't understand what to do.

coskierken
June 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
right click the movie file/open with other/scroll down and highlite vlc/check the box to remember to open this file type with this app. It should work now.