PDA

View Full Version : Just a question about the rate of issues...

Dullstar
November 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I know 9.10 hasn't been a good experience for me - I seem to be seeing a lot more issues posted than during 9.04. I'm somewhat recent to the community, so before 9.04, I don't know. Is this normal, or do people have a point when they say bad things about Karmic?

HappyFeet
November 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM
People say the same things every release. This is nothing new. And when lucid comes out, people will say "I should have stayed with karmic". Nothing changes around here.

But I actually thought there were more postive posts than negative for karmic. No matter what though, there will always be people who are unhappy with anything. It's human nature.

running_rabbit07
November 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Let us not forget all of the people who had a great transition, but do not post here. There are loads of people who only post when they need help. What you see in these forums is on,y a small bit of the reality.

3rdalbum
November 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
There are always people griping about the new release.

Before the release, there was no indication that Karmic was going to be a bad release. I never heard any bad reports when Karmic was in alpha, and all the showstopper problems I discovered in the beta were fixed.

The moral of the story is: Ubuntu needs more people to test a new release before it comes out. When Lucid hits beta (or even the last alpha), give it a whirl and report whatever issues you find.

Tamlynmac
November 12th, 2009, 06:24 AM
HappyFeet
People say the same things every release.

IHMO HappyFeet is correct. Every new release results in a few individuals ranting in this section of the forum. It's been my observation (only based on memory) that fewer people posted rants regarding this release than for Hardy - in the same time period.

It would be illogical to attempt any correlation between negative posts on this forum and the success of an upgrade. The list of unknown variables is really quite extensive (for one example see rabbit's #3). I seriously doubt one could make an actual assessment based on just the number of individuals that "might" post on this forum, compared to the actual number of users that may have upgraded. Any attempt IMHO would be foolish and lack hard data.

I doubt it would be anymore accurate or valid than a good guess. ;)

Dullstar
November 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I probably will - after all, Jaunty's only going to be supported so long, Intrepid's close to the end of its lifespan, assuming it wouldn't give me the same problem that Hardy did, which was that is was older than my wireless card, so I couldn't get online.

slakkie
November 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I know 9.10 hasn't been a good experience for me - I seem to be seeing a lot more issues posted than during 9.04. I'm somewhat recent to the community, so before 9.04, I don't know. Is this normal, or do people have a point when they say bad things about Karmic?

They have a point to a certain degree. But you have to realize this is a support forum. Users who did not have any issues with an upgrade will not post their experiences here, nor will they post "OMG, something b0rked on me!!" threads.

My upgrades went fine, no issues at all.

running_rabbit07
November 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
There are always people griping about the new release.

Before the release, there was no indication that Karmic was going to be a bad release. I never heard any bad reports when Karmic was in alpha, and all the showstopper problems I discovered in the beta were fixed.

The moral of the story is: Ubuntu needs more people to test a new release before it comes out. When Lucid hits beta (or even the last alpha), give it a whirl and report whatever issues you find.

That is why I like the release schedule for Lucid (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule), it loks like they are trying to get out there a little sooner for those Beta goers.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm a newbie of a couple months, Ive just today worked out my so called bugs in 9.04.....But now I have a system better than any M.S. system I've ever had...Stable and solid.....If 9.10 is any better than this it has to be completely wild...But I did have to match a few programs to my system (hadware, chip set etc.)
Not perfect out of the box, but the tools are there to make it flawless...I may try 9.10 in the future but for now I gotta bask in the greatest thing since Twinkies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

murderslastcrow
November 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Greatest thing since twinkies is right! XD

I think it's amazing that something like Linux has better hardware support (in practice) than everything else. Not surprising, per se, since everyone can contribute, but nonetheless quite a feat to behold.

I'm really happy with how it works, and that it works well on the PC of everyone I know who has tried it. It's good that we hold Ubuntu to a high standard so that we constantly achieve the best release possible.

judge jankum
November 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
With just an adjustment or two, and a little tweaking this system is what the
"other" guys wanted to be.....

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Another factor to consider is that we have new users too, Ubuntu has grown bigger now then it was when Jaunty and the others came out.
When more users come the more issues will be reported, but this can be a good thing as when these issues are seen by the developers they can be improved upon.

Riffer
November 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Let us not forget all of the people who had a great transition, but do not post here. There are loads of people who only post when they need help. What you see in these forums is on,y a small bit of the reality.

So true. My update went more or less smooth, some minor issues with video hue and sound being over amplified, but no show stopper. I'm quite impressed this was the best update since I started with 7.04, all others I had to do a complete reinstall, this one I may get around to it when I'm bored.

samjh
November 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'll refer to Asiyu's most excellent post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316155