PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever accept "we don't support linux"

mjp29
November 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I am intentionally double posting this in the Absolute Beginner Talk forum and the hardware forum as I think it is so important to both beginners looking for help here and those beginners (and even more experienced users) in the Hardware forum to read this.

Don't ever let a company like say Verizon, Linksys, or Suddenlink dismiss you because you are using Ubuntu linux. With 2 of the 3 companies I just mentioned, the call rep. that answered our initial calls, in my opinion, was just trying to take the easy way out and get rid of us with the line "we only support Windows or Mac." If you raise a little hell and even ask eto speak with a manager, you probably will get connected to someone that will solve your problem. I went through days and days of trying to solve problems myself (with my mom and Uncle), when the 2 of the companies above, that I later called back and raised a little hell, did tell me that they could make my linux box work with their hardware. Need I say more?

Read this entire post and my last post in this link and you'll understand.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313468

I may get another infraction for double posting, but Ubuntu to all, I'm only trying to help all - Ubuntu.

mjp29
November 12th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I am intentionally double posting this in the Absolute Beginner Talk forum and the hardware forum as I think it is so important to both beginners looking for help here and those beginners (and even more experienced users) in the Hardware forum to read this.

Don't ever let a company like say Verizon, Linksys, or Suddenlink dismiss you because you are using Ubuntu linux. With 2 of the 3 companies I just mentioned, the call rep. that answered our initial calls, in my opinion, was just trying to take the easy way out and get rid of us with the line "we only support Windows or Mac." If you raise a little hell and even ask to speak with a manager, you probably will get connected to someone that will solve your problem. I went through days and days of trying to solve problems myself (with my mom and Uncle), when 2 of the companies above, that I later called back and raised a little hell, did tell me that they could make my linux box work with their hardware. Need I say more?

Read this entire post and my last post in this link and you'll understand.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313468

I may get another infraction for double posting, but Ubuntu to all, I'm only trying to help all - Ubuntu.

Stuart P. Bentley
November 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I think there are a few situations where it's OK to accept "we don't support Linux". Like when an app doesn't run under Wine, or when you call a hardware manufacturer to complain about their product not having Linux drivers.

overdrank
November 12th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I am intentionally double posting this in the Absolute Beginner Talk forum and the hardware forum

Threads merged and moved to The Community Cafe

The Funkbomb
November 12th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Umm... I accept it. We are a niche community. It's like this other thing I'm into. We use specialized gear for it. I can't call up some company that caters to the mainstream and complain that my needs aren't met.

slakkie
November 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Just don't tell you run Linux. Problem solved. Really, if you know a bit of Windows you can do it from the top of your head.

Kunkles
November 12th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I'm kinda angry at Linksys for not supporting Linux, considering their firmware is Linux... :|

wilee-nilee
November 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
When I got my 1st IP provider Qwest the techs just happened to have a person familiar with Linux, all I had to do was put in the correct information in the network manager, check direct internet no proxy in Firefox and use the router access IP address to have access to any more adjustments. This is a pretty straight forward way of dealing with it and now you know from your own experiences how to get stuff working.

witeshark17
November 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I agree with the idea.

Keyper7
November 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Umm... I accept it. We are a niche community. It's like this other thing I'm into. We use specialized gear for it. I can't call up some company that caters to the mainstream and complain that my needs aren't met.

I think the OP's point, although slightly exaggerated, is that sometimes companies do support Linux without knowing it, in the sense that the directions to solve the problem are OS-agnostic (e.g. "change the DNS server address to this").

The problem is that, in a lot of companies, the first layer of support is composed of card-reading robots who panic if the context is not exactly as given by the cards (e.g. "go to the Start menu"). Sometimes simply asking to go to a higher layer makes things go much smoother.

Zzl1xndd
November 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well at the very lest the company I work for does support Linux. Technically we only Offically support Suse (As it is the only Distro we test with) but we will at least try to get people up and running.

That being said some of our products just do not work (and Havn't been designed too) on Linux.

BenAshton24
November 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I disagree, If a company doesn't support Linux, don't buy their products...