PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Manager Icon is Missing

footprint
November 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have a strange problem.

The network icon is missing. If I remove the Notification Area from the panel and then add it again the icon is back. However, after a reboot it is missing again. Network Manager is running as shown by the fact that eth0, wlan0 and my mobile broadband dongle all work!

I hope someone has a solution. Thanks in advance.

Peter09
November 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think its the indicator applet that you need to add to your start up.

Goto System->preferences->Startup Apps
and add an application with this spec.

sh -c "sleep 60 && python /usr/share/gnome-panel/add-indicator-applet.py"

nigamp
November 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Remove the Notification Area from the panel and then add it again..as u ve done b4 ...
nct time the icon reappears ..rite click on it > select 'Lock to Panel' ....it ll remain der after reboot .... hpe dat helps...

:KS

Ubuntu RULES !!!! :D

footprint
November 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys but it still vanishes after a restart. Think I'll try reinstalling a few packages around gnome.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Well! that didn't work so where do I go from here?

I don't realy want to resort to the M$ solution and reinstall, even though I have a separate /home partition.
It still takes quite a while putting all the extra programs back!

GoldNugget
November 15th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I am having the same strange problem with the network manager icon on my eeepc 900. I have to remove the notification area and then replace it after every reboot. This is an odd bug that just started with Karmic. Its not that the notification area is not there, it just loads strangely with some icons duplicated (in my case, the sound icon) and others missing (network manager).

I figure it will be fixed in some update soon and it is not a huge thing, but it is an annoying little bug.

footprint
November 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
In my case the problem appears to be solved.

I downloaded a new ISO image and reinstalled after backing up /home. Then copied back the backup to /home excluding the hidden files.

No problems since, guess my .iso was at fault.

SirWeazel
November 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
This issue occurs with me with multiple users. I have 2 user accounts, and whicheve account logs on first gets the network icon.

matt.cohenprice
December 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
this problem just started happening to me yesterday.

Have been running Karmic without many problems since it was released, and then yesterday, bam, no network manager icon. Sometimes there is a blank space where the icon should be, but yesterday I got a second battery icon instead.

I checked startup applications and network manager is still there:

nm-applet --sm-disable

As others have suggested, removing and re-adding the notification area fixes the problem, at least for the current session. then, restart, same problem.

slamhound
December 19th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Mine is intermittent. Sometimes it shows up after boot, sometimes it doesn't. When it's not there, it's always replaced by some corrupted version of one of the other icons. I can't detect any pattern.

erlguta
December 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
i have the same problem. Is there any solution?. Is any bug open in launchpad about this?

slamhound
December 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Looks like this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/439448?comments=all%27

Sounds like there are temporary workarounds, but I didn't see a solution.

blazyyo
January 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I have similar problem. Using Ubuntu 9.10, with 3 user profiles.

NM icon shows for first user to login (and autoconnects to internet), NM icon does not show for other users. I tried removing/adding notification area icon, but it just shows a blank space in the taskbar.

Alejandro Nova
August 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've obtained good results with this:

$ sudo service network-manager stop
$ sudo service network-manager start

The Network Manager icon is there: it doesn't show anything, but it's there. These commands force the icon to update itself, and show on your Notification Area.

snydez
September 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've obtained good results with this:

$ sudo service network-manager stop
$ sudo service network-manager start

The Network Manager icon is there: it doesn't show anything, but it's there. These commands force the icon to update itself, and show on your Notification Area.

well thanks for this.
it just need to disconnect it first then reconnect.