PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.0.4 -> 9.10 upgrade default session now Xubuntu?

schallertg
November 12th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Was running Jaunty Ubuntu did the upgrade and now after a very slow boot (used to take seconds to get login screen now it takes minutes...) I get Xubuntu and cannot seem to change it, the system -> admin -> login screen doesn't let me set the default session back to Ubuntu Gnome. :confused: How did I end up with Xubuntu when I had Ubuntu?

bashphoenux
November 12th, 2009, 02:42 AM
you have to change the type of session during login !!
at the bottom you should see something called "SESSION-TYPE" click on it change it to gnome !!
yeah booting takes slightly more time than Jaunty

schallertg
November 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I don't think I made myself clear......I get the Xubunu screen (blue with a rat? in the center of the screen) at boot before I ever get to a login screen. When it does eventually load I get to select gnome as a session when I login but my problem is I don't want anything but gnome, I don't know where xubuntu came from or why I have it after the upgrade when I didn't before. I want my old Ubuntu splash screen while it's loading and I want gnome to be the default windows environment and desktop manager but I don't seem to have the option to set that. When booting up the screen seems to indicate I have the Xubuntu distro when in fact I had the Ubuntu distro before 9.10. This is all very bizarre and at this point I wish I had not upgraded. :(

schallertg
November 12th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Well I seem to have solved this for myself, the hard way anyway. Rather than figure out what went wrong during the upgrade I decided to just run a remove on all the xubuntu packages from a terminal and then reinstall ubuntu-desktop. Appears to be working as I now get the Ubuntu loading/splash screen and nothing but Gnome & xterm in the session menu. Yeah! Karmic Koala is not getting on my good side with this shaky start I must say. I've done the main distro upgrades for almost 3 years and this is the first time it's done anything this flaky.

JoelOl75
November 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well I seem to have solved this for myself, the hard way anyway. Rather than figure out what went wrong during the upgrade I decided to just run a remove on all the xubuntu packages from a terminal and then reinstall ubuntu-desktop. Appears to be working as I now get the Ubuntu loading/splash screen and nothing but Gnome & xterm in the session menu. Yeah! Karmic Koala is not getting on my good side with this shaky start I must say. I've done the main distro upgrades for almost 3 years and this is the first time it's done anything this flaky.
The problem was just simply having the xubuntu-artwork-usplash package installed. It could have been changed w/o removing the package by changing the symbolic link in /etc/alternatives/usplash-artwork.so to point to the correct splash image in /usr/lib/usplash and then running sudo update-initramfs

schallertg
November 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The problem was just simply having the xubuntu-artwork-usplash package installed.Except for the fact that I didn't have that package installed, right? Seeing as how I had a vanilla ubuntu gnome install of jaunty before I ran the upgrade and somehow *it* decided I wanted to install the xubuntu packages on it's own I hardly think the problem was "simple." Either way a remove and install took care of it in less than two minutes and I won't be upgrading again for a very, very long time as I am also experiencing several hardware related issues as well. Karmic Koala is nothing but bad Karma IMO>