PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket Sucks

Bungo Pony
November 12th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I've been using Photobucket ever since I've been using Linux. They've been re-vamping the site, and I've been having problems.

This morning, I wrote a nasty email to the staff at Photobucket because I could no longer log in to access my pictures:

It's really nice that you guys have been fxxxing around with flash on your page again, and the Disney Pixar crap is preventing me from logging into the site.

Those of us who use alternate operating systems and browsers will quit using your service if you don't make it cross-platform friendly.

Here is the response I got:

Dear xxx@gmail.com,

The issues you are having with the sites features are due to Linux and Opera. We do not support either the operating system nor the browser you are using. Please read the following FAQ links in regards to supported operating systems and web browsers and update at this time for full functionality.

Update for full functionality? I hardly call installing WINDOWS an update!

t0p
November 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I signed up for Photobucket once upon a time, but I quickly gave up on it.

Currently Flickr handles all my online picture needs. I've even got a handly little Java app that allows me to upload images to Flickr without having to log on or mess about on-site.

The Funkbomb
November 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
And?

Shouldn't your beef be with the people at adobe who are dragging their behinds on a functional flash plugin?

Honestly, dropping the F-bomb on them, if that email was to me, you wouldn't have even gotten a response.

suitedaces
November 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
You swore at them and are subsequently less than happy with the response?

And I thought the customers where I work were bad.

Old Marcus
November 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Umm, I've been able to log in fine with Linux Mint and Firefox. It seems ads are the issue, try using the adblocking functions in Opera to sort things.

Logged in fine using opera 10 default, looks like an issue at your end.

kostkon
November 12th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Use imageshack.us instead. They even release a Ubuntu version (http://toolbar.imageshack.us/windows-uploader/download.php) for their uploader.

Giant Speck
November 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
This is why I set a bookmark directly to my album instead of the login page. My only real complaint about Photobucket is that I cannot search my own images.

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Yeh I hate photofukit :D
I prefer imageshack

koleoptero
November 12th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I used it 2 times to post screenshots here, and I ditched it cause it works like crap overall. I am now using fickr instead. That "update" thing in the email you received is indeed hilarious.

Bungo Pony
November 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM
On the plus side, it looks like they removed that Disney Pixar flash garbage that was screwing things up. I probably wasn't the only one who complained.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 12th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Interesting. Flash and photobucket work just fine for me. Great even. I stopped using photobucket a long time ago because it was getting bloated and slow though. Yay for imageshack.

Having said that, if I was the service rep that read your email I would probably disregard it and send a meaningless response whether there was something I could do to help or not. Way to show respect...not.

Bungo Pony
November 12th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Honestly, dropping the F-bomb on them, if that email was to me, you wouldn't have even gotten a response.

While I agree that it wasn't the most 'professional' thing to do, I was mighty P.O'ed this morning. I had pics of my newly hacked Linux box. I go to upload the pictures, and the login screen flickers for a split second, and then gets covered in chopped blocks of animated balloons with "(C) Disney Pixar" being the only readable text on the screen. I hate Disney.

Not the first time I complained about something like this. I sent a nasty email to theweathernetwork.com when their Microsoft Office ad was blocking the weather report, and I had no way of getting rid of it.

Incidently, here's a pic of the linux box. no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, only controlled by a USB number pad:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/bponyblog/Thumbs/v40thumb.jpg

The Funkbomb
November 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Just remember you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

You have to ask yourself, how much did using photobucket cost you? Most users don't "Go Pro" so I'm guessing nothing. They have to make money too.

If you want guaranteed no advertising image hosts, get yourself a server.

lespaul_rentals
November 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Well, Photobucket isn't developed for your platform. They offer no guarantees that their site will function on Linux or Opera because they are attempting to support the largest portion of Internet users. They're probably programming for IE or Firefox, considering, what, 90% or more of users use those? If it explicitly states this fact in the FAQ or Terms of Service agreement, you should have heeded their words before signing up.

I also find it ironic that you complain about Photobucket. Why don't you find a better photo-hosting service? Photobucket kind of sucks (no offense to anyone who uses it, if you like it I'm happy you've found a good solution). It's made to appeal to MySpace users who have no clue how to embed images, and that's one of the biggest user groups they pick up. Really, as someone who is obviously picky about his browsing experience -- let alone a Linux user -- why don't you Google around and find a better provider?

With the Flash problem you encountered, you might want to try User Mode view in Opera. If I experience layout problems like you are, it sometimes helps.

EzeAris
November 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Photobucket Sucks

Agree, if I could exterminate a site from the Internet, would be that :P

Bungo Pony
November 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM
It's made to appeal to MySpace users who have no clue how to embed images, and that's one of the biggest user groups they pick up. Really, as someone who is obviously picky about his browsing experience -- let alone a Linux user -- why don't you Google around and find a better provider?

When I initially started using Photobucket back in my Windows days, it was actually a very nice experience. Over the years, they've been glopping it up with goofy little helpers, flash, and extremely irritating advertising. Now, after years of putting images on it, it's a major decision to move onto another service. I had to do that with all my audio files when Putfile went TU. I've been contemplating getting my own webspace for a while now, and I think I may have to eventually go through with it.

As for the advertising, I understand that they need to make money. However, if the advertising interferes with the functionality, people will go somewhere else. Remember how quickly people quit using free internet services when the advertising was slogging down the connection so badly and eating up screen space? It was awful. When the advertisers aren't reaching any potential buyers, they will quit paying and advertise somewhere else.

lespaul_rentals
November 12th, 2009, 03:22 AM
You should check out majhost.com. It's simple and works great. No stupid little embed helpers, easy, intuitive paths, and the like. Check it out.

MC707
November 12th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Dear xxx@gmail.com,

The issues you are having with the sites features are due to Linux and Opera. We do not support either the operating system nor the browser you are using. Please read the following FAQ links in regards to supported operating systems and web browsers and update at this time for full functionality.
ROFLMAO Thats the funniest (and stupidest) response I've heard (or remember...). Its like they didn't hear what you said, like an automated bot answered your query. The last time I had a problem logging to Imageshack I received a response fast and to the point, solved instantly.

And?

Shouldn't your beef be with the people at adobe who are dragging their behinds on a functional flash plugin?

Imageshack works like heaven to the gods in my Ubuntu box. Photobucket is to blame, not only adobe.

You swore at them and are subsequently less than happy with the response?

And I thought the customers where I work were bad.
Bad service deserves swearing. If the service at your work is good you should not receive those.

Use imageshack.us instead. They even release a Ubuntu version (http://toolbar.imageshack.us/windows-uploader/download.php) for their uploader.
Totally agreed. I used to use photobucket, however I instantly hated it as much as I hate rapidshare. Analogy: megaupload is to imageshack as rapishare is to photobucket.

pwnst*r
November 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I've been using Photobucket ever since I've been using Linux. They've been re-vamping the site, and I've been having problems.

This morning, I wrote a nasty email to the staff at Photobucket because I could no longer log in to access my pictures:

lol, you sure showed them by cussing them out. rofl.

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
ROFLMAO Thats the funniest (and stupidest) response I've heard (or remember...). Its like they didn't hear what you said, like an automated bot answered your query. The last time I had a problem logging to Imageshack I received a response fast and to the point, solved instantly.

Imageshack works like heaven to the gods in my Ubuntu box. Photobucket is to blame, not only adobe.

Bad service deserves swearing. If the service at your work is good you should not receive those.

Totally agreed. I used to use photobucket, however I instantly hated it as much as I hate rapidshare. Analogy: megaupload is to imageshack as rapishare is to photobucket.

lol don't you mean something like "imageshack is to photobucket as megaupload is to rapidshare" ?

MC707
November 12th, 2009, 05:04 AM
lol don't you mean something like "imageshack is to photobucket as megaupload is to rapidshare" ?

No. Haven't you been taught rule of three? The different units are separated from one another by the sides of the equation. Let me show you..

BOINC example, 20000 seconds of computing time gives me 400 credit in one project, I want to know how much I'd gain if I computed for another shorter application. Plug in how much 1000 seconds of work would give me, solve for X.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6278/screenshot1c.png
Same here. I know megaupload is good for storage, like imageshack is for images (or fairly close to :P), so I want to know what is to rapidshare. A sucky, bandwidth and space limited service with tons of ads... what should X be?
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7527/screenshot2jw.png
I'd say photobucket.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/606/screenshotqw.png

BTW it took me 3 minutes to do this message, while the equations pictures here will probably never become broken like many photobucket-posted images I've seen all around the net.

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
No. Haven't you been taught rule of three? The different units are separated from one another by the sides of the equation. Let me show you..

BOINC example, 20000 seconds of computing time gives me 400 credit in one project, I want to know how much I'd gain if I computed for another shorter application. Plug in how much 1000 seconds of work would give me, solve for X.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6278/screenshot1c.png
Same here. I know megaupload is good for storage, like imageshack is for images (or fairly close to :P), so I want to know what is to rapidshare. A sucky, bandwidth and space limited service with tons of ads... what should X be?
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7527/screenshot2jw.png
I'd say photobucket.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/606/screenshotqw.png

BTW it took me 3 minutes to do this message, while the equations pictures here will probably never become broken like many photobucket-posted images I've seen all around the net.

I remember seeing that somewhere...been over a year sense I did any complicated math. It was probably some of the math my college shoved down our throats at redneck speed.

Ms_Angel_D
November 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Dear xxx@gmail.com,

I say we start putting together some free hosting services and when windows users have issues we send out email that say this.

The issues you are having with the sites features are due to Windows and Internet Explorer. We do not support either the operating system nor the browser you are using because we can't view their source code to find out what exactly is causing the issues. Please read the following FAQ links in regards to supported operating systems and web browsers and update at this time for full functionality

:lolflag::lolflag:

lespaul_rentals
November 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I say we start putting together some free hosting services and when windows users have issues we send out email that say this.

Go for it. See how much business you maintain.

MC707
November 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I remember seeing that somewhere...been over a year sense I did any complicated math. It was probably some of the math my college shoved down our throats at redneck speed.
I agree. My college is currently doing so with me ](*,)

The issues you are having with the sites features are due to Windows and Internet Explorer. We do not support either the operating system nor the browser you are using because we can't view their source code to find out what exactly is causing the issues. Please read the following FAQ links in regards to supported operating systems and web browsers and update at this time for full functionality

Brilliant. I'd like to see that! \\:D/

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Says the man with windows malware in his/her avatar.

Call it *nixbun

-grubby
November 17th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I disagree with a lot of you in this thread. I think PhotoBucket deserves a TON of cursing.

Between many "out of bandwidth" images, and many "image removed due to content" images, among others, PhotoBucket has been largely disappointing.

I did try to be a PhotoBucket member at one point also, and their members control panel wasn't all that great.

MC707
November 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I disagree with a lot of you in this thread. I think PhotoBucket deserves a TON of cursing.

Between many "out of bandwidth" images, and many "image removed due to content" images, among others, PhotoBucket has been largely disappointing.

I did try to be a PhotoBucket member at one point also, and their members control panel wasn't all that great.

Yet again, I agree. I've personally never ever seen a "removed for this or that" in an Imageshack-hosted picture.

Tipped OuT
November 17th, 2009, 05:20 AM

That's life (That's life). That's what all the people say, you're riding high in April, shot down in May. But I know I'm going to change that tune, when I'm back on top, back on top in June.

I said that's life (That's life). And as funny as it may seem, some people get their kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down. Because this fine old world, it keeps spinning around!

Words to live by really. Thank you Frank Sinatra.

That's just life man. Your operating system is not supported by Photobucket. So what do you do? You change your image hosting website. :)

Photobucket is a decent image hoster, and they can't always please everyone. They have to think about the masses.

JoshuaRL
November 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM

You are the MAN. I have an imageshack account, but have rarely used it since I get tired quickly of uploading single photos via websites. Kind of the reason I haven't used any other site like that. The Ubuntu uploader works awesome, thanks again.

sujoy
November 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
hey guys! omploader! try it

openuniverse
November 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM

minusinc
July 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
May I recommend trying http://min.us ? Minus is a new startup focusing on unlimited, simple, free, drag-n-drop photo and file sharing. Check it out!

(PS: Sorry for bumping old thread >.<)

KiwiNZ
July 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM
A bucket full of sleep for you tired old thread