PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations!

williamroddy
January 30th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Congratulations, gentlepeople of Ubuntu, for becoming Number One in the one-month tallies at DistroWatch, as of just a few moments ago.

Well done, indeed. And well-deserved.

TravisNewman
January 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Now that is incredible! I can't say it's not deserved, but it's suprising that Ubuntu took out the big ones like Fedora/Mandrake/Suse, etc.

CowPie
January 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Now that is incredible! I can't say it's not deserved, but it's suprising that Ubuntu took out the big ones like Fedora/Mandrake/Suse, etc.
Maybe it does speak to the proportionality of money to usability? ;)

Ubuntu rocks anyways!

CowPie
January 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM
They have dragged Linux down bigtime. They were recommended so often to newbies that they seemed to *Be* Linux; sadly enough they sucked in my experience. Yast was so unintutive and bulky, Fedora was slow, etc..

crane
January 30th, 2005, 06:33 AM
They have dragged Linux down bigtime. They were recommended so often to newbies that they seemed to *Be* Linux; sadly enough they sucked in my experience. Yast was so unintutive and bulky, Fedora was slow, etc..

I agree as well. Suse was "pretty" and worked well. But as I learned linux, I also learned then some of the basic commands of linux had been removed and replaced with something suse came up with. After Fedora core 1 It just seemed to get bulkier.

Congrates to everyone who has helped develope and spread Ubuntu. =D>

You guys and gals are great. Thanks for a great distro.
And as I learn more, I hope to comtribute back to the community as well! :D

Jad
January 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Congrats!

piedamaro
January 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Woohoo! :D

rudi
January 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM
That's a good reason for a party!, my place let's say eleven? http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_angel.gif

Neo_654
January 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Congratulations Ubuntu for a well deserved ranking.

Lovechild
January 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM
/me goes to give Fedora a pity hit - I like that distro as well.

MaZiNgA
January 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Congratulations to everyone! Let's not forget Ubuntu's strong point is its great community!

lukem
January 30th, 2005, 10:05 PM
"Well Doggies" as one of my heros used to say. :D

towner
January 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Ubuntu distrowatch No.1 for the last month

I'm not surprised,

Ubuntu is a fantastic system, complete and stable, incorporating the best Open Source Software out there. I've been using it for two months now and feel no compulsion to install anything else. Its present and continuing success is due the strong and welcoming community and the fact that Ubuntu works and works well.

keep up the good work everyone. :D

Lovechild
January 30th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Worth noting might be that the overall hit rate is going up it seems, so Linux is getting more and more popular - yay for us!

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 05:59 AM
Congratulations, gentlepeople of Ubuntu, for becoming Number One in the one-month tallies at DistroWatch, as of just a few moments ago.

Well done, indeed. And well-deserved.

This is so cool considering there hasn't been a new stable release in a while.

bored2k
March 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
We're getting close on the 6 month span :D
http://i150.exs.cx/img150/6990/clos3r4pd.jpg

williamroddy
March 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM
The three-month span has been surpassed. But who's keeping score. Amd with the advent of kubuntu, there is certainly no a reason everyone shouldn't use Ubuntu.

As for the quality of the distribution, having followed the hoary development line, with time to spare before the final release, this distribution surpasses everything else out there.

As for ease of installation and ease of use, I am 63, ill, and disabled, and certainly not a "geek," but I have no difficult at all with any aspect of these processes, ever.

Once again, congratulations to those of you at Ubuntu, and thank you for providing a set of tools upon which we can all depend.

It's been so long since I've used Windows, I've forgotten how well it doesn't work.

Thank you.

William Roddy

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM
The three-month span has been surpassed. But who's keeping score. Amd with the advent of kubuntu, there is certainly no a reason everyone shouldn't use Ubuntu.

I hope that Distrowatch doesn't split Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

geeky
March 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM
It seems it's just a matter of time for Ubuntu to be #1 (or to be "The Most eXtreme" as Animal planet Channel puts it..... what?) in DistroWatch for the 6-month term.

It's now #2 which makes us more than Fedora.. I believe that it's gonna be #1 in late April.

williamroddy
March 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Looks like DistroWatch.com is breaking Kubuntu out and calling it a new distribution, at least, as of Monday moring. Perhaps someone would like to suggest to them a different course of action?

Or would this put all the other distributions in the entire world at a competitive disadvantage (he laughed).

jdodson
March 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Looks like DistroWatch.com is breaking Kubuntu out and calling it a new distribution, at least, as of Monday moring. Perhaps someone would like to suggest to them a different course of action?

Or would this put all the other distributions in the entire world at a competitive disadvantage (he laughed).

they are the same, this should be fixed in distrowatch.

MaZiNgA
March 22nd, 2005, 01:28 AM
they are the same, this should be fixed in distrowatch.
Jdodson's right on this. In the same manner why don't they split SuSE Gnome and SuSE KDE? :pp

ladislav
March 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
The main reason I created a separate page for Kubuntu was that Kubuntu itself has its own web page now. To me, this is an indication that the project is "independent" (or at least different enough) to warrant the creation of a separate web site (and a separate page on DistroWatch). It's a bit like Red Hat and Fedora.

But worry not, Kubuntu has been generating an enormous number of clicks as well - in fact, it is at number 23 in the 1-month ranking, despite the fact that it has been added to DistroWatch only four days ago. It looks like it too will make it to the top 10 before long. There is a lot of momentum behind both Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Kakalto
March 22nd, 2005, 07:14 AM
Yay for Ubuntu! It's also #1 on the 3month term as well, incase people didn't notice.

jdong
March 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
We've surpassed Fedora in the 6-month tally with a considerable margin -- Ubuntu is really surging in popularity!

StacyWebb
March 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
I guess it comes to the fact "if you make a good product, people will find it". Congrats to the Ubuntu folks and all their effort in making this one of the best distro. Just for reference, I teach Linux at a local college and I just recieved my Ubuntu CDS so tomorrow my students will be getting their own copies of the Live CD and the Install CD all nice and pressed. I want to start them early on the right path.
Again thanks for the CDs and Thanks for make Ubuntu such a great distro. :)

lao_V
March 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
It will be number one by 3rd of April 2005. That's around 6 months from an initial release!! Excellent work.

I just hope that Kubuntu doesn't slow it down as it seems to be picking pace fairly quickly as well. I hope those users are from another distro and not existing Ubuntuers!

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 06:02 PM
It will be number one by 3rd of April 2005. That's around 6 months from an initial release!! Excellent work.

I just hope that Kubuntu doesn't slow it down as it seems to be picking pace fairly quickly as well. I hope those users are from another distro and not existing Ubuntuers!
I'm amazed that after all the praise aimed @ KDE 3.4 , people are getting more interested in a GNOME native distro like this one . Amazed but happy:D .

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
We've surpassed Fedora in the 6-month tally with a considerable margin -- Ubuntu is really surging in popularity!

Watch what Kubuntu does!

People will try it for bleeding adge stuff! (KDE 3.4) I am!