PDA

View Full Version : Install hangs on Acer Aspire One

barc99
November 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm a novice trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer Netbook. I downloaded the Netbook Remix and installed on a flashdrive using makeusb.exe and booted from it. I get the Ubuntu installation menu and select "Install Ubuntu" but I then get a blank screen and my netbook hangs. I have tried 3 different flash drives and different downloads of the Netbook Remix ISO, all with the same behaviour.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

misterimpatient
November 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I am having the same problem and haven't solved it yet. Have you? FWIW, I downloaded the Jolicloud alpha release and it installed without a problem. Actually, I ran from the USB datastick and haven't installed. I think I would prefer Ubuntu. I know Jolicloud is built on it but I don't think I want the social functions.

oylenshpeegul
November 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I had a similar problem when I installed on the flashdrive from another Ubuntu machine using USB Startup Disk Creator. The Acer would boot from the resulting flashdrive, allow me to choose "English," and then just sit there.

I installed on the flashdrive again with "Discard on shutdown, unless you saved them elsewhere" selected. This time the Acer booted from the resulting flashdrive and continued on to the desktop, allowing me to install.

I'm not familiar with Windows, but if makeusb.exe has a similar option, it might be worth trying it.

misterimpatient
November 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I had a similar problem when I installed on the flashdrive from another...

Thanks for the suggestion. If I can figure out how, I'll give it a try. I never get a language page on install, by which I mean, the first screen I see asks me if I want to install or demo, etc...

Cheers.