PDA

View Full Version : Looking for VB alternative

cdahmedeh
November 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative to Visual Basic. I'm not looking for a clone, just something that will let me make programs in a BASIC type language. Gambas was really close, but the Qt3 interface really threw me off because it doesn't blend well with my GTK+ apps. MonoDevelop isn't an option because it lacks an interface designer for VB.net.

So basically, I'm looking for :
-Uses BASIC type language like VB and VB.net
-Has a good interface designer.
-Uses a GTK+ interface for its IDE.
-Ideally, it should be in the Ubuntu repos or have a PPA.

Thanks

t0p
November 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM
If you want a BASIC-type language, check out FreeBASIC (http://www.freebasic.net). It's BASIC, and it's free. What more could one want?

cdahmedeh
November 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
It doesn't have an interface designer for GTK+ nor a IDE for it. It's not what I'm looking for. FreeBASIC is just a compiler, I'm looking for a bit more than that, like I listed previously.

Tibuda
November 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM
VB.NET in MonoDevelop?

cdahmedeh
November 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hello,

... MonoDevelop isn't an option because it lacks an interface designer for VB.net. ...

I already said that MonoDevelop isn't an option. It has no interface designer for VB.net, only C#. However, I'm also willing to learn Python. All I'm looking for is 'just for fun' programming. Something that let's me design an interface with the mouse, do some simple programming like in VB.net and that's it.

So what could be my option. Again, a GTK+ interface for the IDE. Remember, I'm not just looking for a compiler, but also a good interface for that compiler.

Thanks Again

kalaharix
November 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi

Gambas can use either GTK or QT. It is a choice when you define the project. That said the ide itself (written in Gambas) uses QT so it still may not suit you.

rgds

Johnsie
November 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I liked Gambas. I don't think there's a VB-like IDE for Linux that is as good as VB itself, but for rapid application development Gambas is pretty good.

hessiess
November 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Python + any text editor. IDE's are pointless.

Nevon
November 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Python + GtkBuilder will allow you to use whatever IDE you want, coupled with Glade as a visual interface designer.

t0p
November 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Python + any text editor. IDE's are pointless.

We may think IDEs are pointless, but the OP would disagree. If he didn't value a pretty user interface so highly, my suggestion to use FreeBASIC may have met a better reception. After all, FreeBASIC is BASIC - which is what the OP wants.

I know a lot of computer users feel they can't function without a GUI; so I shan't criticize the OP for that. I'll just point out that Python has a nice IDE: IDLE. I think it's in the repos.

sudo apt-get install idleAt the end of the day, a text editor is just as good (Gedit does syntax-related highlighting and stuff for Python). But IDLE has some of that integrated functionality and buttons to click that the OP needs.

mmix
November 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
your choice is only gambas latest version

* BUG: The name property of newly created menus is correctly initialized now.
* BUG: Changing the value of the Sorted property in TreeView, ColumnView, ListView and ListBox does not crash anymore.
* BUG: Fix input method handling.
* BUG: Do not crash when there is a keyboard event and no active control.
* BUG: Using the quality argument when saving a picture or an image does not crash anymore.
* BUG: Sorted editable combo-box correctly raise the Click event if their first item is selected.
* BUG: Fix the behaviour of ComboBox again, so that it behaves the same way as in gb.qt.
* BUG: TextBox.Insert() correctly deletes the selected text before inserting the new one.
* BUG: Really fix the initialization of file dialog from Dialog.Path in the Dialog.Save() method.
* NEW: Thanks to an hack based on a global event handler, disabled controls now answer events like in gb.qt.
* NEW: Application_KeyPress global event handler has been implemented.

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
If you're willing to learn a different language, like Python, why not just learn C# and have exactly what you need with Mono? Just because it has "C" in the name doesn't mean that it's hard. C# is a great language, and it's not really any harder to learn than Python.

I know a lot of computer users feel they can't function without a GUI; so I shan't criticize the OP for that.
There is a third group of computer users who can function without a GUI, but we just don't want to because we live in the 21st century. I could function with an old black and white tube TV, but I like my HDTV pretty well.

directhex
November 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Or design your GUI manually, or with Glade or equiv (the way you'd be forced to with Python), rather than having the designer built into your GUI?

cdahmedeh
November 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
After lots of research, I have found Lazarus. It's based on FreePascal which is a very nice language. I am learning it right now and having a good time. It's not as easy as VB, but more flexible, and less scary than let's say C++. The best part, it's multiplatform, so everyone can enjoy my little useless apps !

Thanks for the suggestions though.