PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Desktop Enviornements & Driver question

deamon_knight
November 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I know I can install Gnome, KDE & Xfce desktops on the same machine, but If I want to compare them for performance will this work? I've heard that They will install each others services, but will that affect performance?

Also, I have installed Kubuntu 9.10, but while jockey prompts that there is am Nvidia driver I can install, choosing it does not do anything, it never shows activated. Am I doing something wrong? My video card is nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000] (rev c1).

Thanks!

earthpigg
November 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM
if you want to do a true comparison, you would need to use something besides GDM (ubuntu's default GNOME-centric login manager) as the login manager.

using GDM, gnome would have an advantage.

consider SLiM or xdm, which are not 'tailored' for any specific DE.

earthpigg
November 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
you would also need to ensure you are using GTK+ apps in the GTK+ desktop enviornments (gnome and xfce) and QT in KDE.

loading a QT app in GNOME means that gnome must first read a bunch of QT libraries. and vice versa for GTK+ in KDE.

how do you find out which is which?

search here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gparted).

in that example, we have gparted. gparted depends on gksu. gksu depends on libgtk. thus, we know that gparted is a gtk app because it relies on gtk to function.

gparted, thus, will almost certainly run faster and lighter in gnome or xfce than in kde -- but that isn't kde's fault per se.

deamon_knight
November 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Ultimately could not not get used to Kubuntu, I installed Xubuntu and the drivers installed properly. -Thanks!