PDA

View Full Version : Google sites with custom HTML? Alternatives?

beefjerkymonster
November 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm looking for a place to host a website for free basically. I really like Google sites, but I need to be able to put in custom HTML pages for some school work. From everything I've heard, Google Sites does NOT allow custom HTML. :?

A service that uses ads is OK with me, I just want it to be a reputable site. Just like how you wouldn't sign up for some "work at home" ad in the local paper, I'm not gonna sign up for any random stuff online, unless I know it's safe!

Let me know fellow Ubuntu-ers, Thanks!

beefjerkymonster
November 12th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Geez none of you guys use any kind of service like this? At least say -something- :(

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I used to use Geocities, but thats shutdown. :/

lykwydchykyn
November 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I don't know any good free ones myself, but since you wanted someone to say something, I'll oblige :).

The hosting company I use has basic plans at about $25 per YEAR, which ought to be a pretty trivial amount of money for anyone who owns a computer and has time to make web pages.

The other alternative, if you have a high-speed connection, is to set up your own web server and use a dynamic dns service like dyndns.com. You can't get more reputable than your own self. Well, most of the time anyway.

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161389&highlight=Free+Webhosting

cariboo
November 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Most isp's offer free web space, have you tried yours?

Xbehave
November 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
is http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en ? what you want?

beefjerkymonster
November 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well I singed up for two services: webs.com and zymic.com. I'll use a little of both and see which I like more.

Man, if Google Sites allowed custom HTML, I bet they would dominate the free web hosting market, especially since geocities just shut down.

Thanks guys! :) I was afraid my topic would fall unnoticed into the dark depths of these forums :P