PDA

View Full Version : Krash and Burn

ubuser76
November 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've been looking through the message board and seeing a lot of threads related to "Why don't people like Karmic" and "Why's everyone hatin on Karmic". Well for me the reason is not there there are defects in the OS or that there are new features that aren't quit working right. Its the fact that several, if not a majority of the things that I have noticed broken Karmic have worked perfectly in at least the past 2 or 3 releases.

Has anyone noticed the services menu is gone from the Admin menu? Yes, I realize that it doesn't effect you and you can live without it; so can I. But its been there all along and what about the users that do use it or the users new to Linux?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1272747

Has anyone noticed that ejecting a disc in Karmic doesn't unmount it from the system? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301168
Its happening to me on 3 different machines. Every time I eject a CD/DVD I have to unmount manually with a command or right click the icon and unmount. Yes, I agree. Its not major its an annoyance but its an annoyance that shouldn't be there because it worked in all previous versions.

Pulseaudio.. There are no words to described this mucked up POS. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great idea and I hope one day it works. But right now there are to many bugs and incompatibilities to make it a primary source in a release. No one really likes it and almost everyone looks for a way to disable it. For starters it doesn't work with everything, not to mention its always a surprise when I start up. Will I be muted, or not? And again, I don't think its just me as I see hundreds of posts and site comments about the same thing. I've also installed Karmic on three different machines with three different sets of hardware, granted it was all x64 version.

I've been using the x64 beta version of the linux flash plugin from adobe, its worked since its release in the past 2 or so Ubuntu releases, with Karmic I get no sound and a very annoying flicker (not video stutter, different) when playing flash in Firefox. However I don't want to jump to any conclusion on this one as it very well could be related to something other than Karmic, such as FF3.5

Innovation or not, common things that worked in previous versions should not be broken in new releases.

I can say with some degree of certainty that if these issues popped up on a release of Windows that these same users who dismiss these bugs and annoyances as trivial would be throwing major 2yr old hissy fits, not simply saying "This is the best release yet, my only problems are...(list everything that broken in this release)... but other than that this is the best release yet!"

subdivision
November 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
<sarcasm> How much is MS paying you? </sarcasm>

Good post.

slumbergod
November 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, good summary of my feelings with Karmic too.

Jaunty was over hyped before its release and I found that to be the worst release. Karmic "feels" good to me...if only the last of the niggly bugs would go away!

Skripka
November 11th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Pulseaudio.. There are no words to described this mucked up POS. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great idea and I hope one day it works. But right now there are to many bugs and incompatibilities to make it a primary source in a release. No one really likes it and almost everyone looks for a way to disable it. For starters it doesn't work with everything, not to mention its always a surprise when I start up. Will I be muted, or not? And again, I don't think its just me as I see hundreds of posts and site comments about the same thing. I've also installed Karmic on three different machines with three different sets of hardware, granted it was all x64 version.

Pulse Audio is purely an Ubuntu problem here. Not upstream. The author of Pulse himself called out Ubuntu for a gawd-awful implementation of it, that gives PA a bad name.

ubuser76
November 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
<sarcasm> How much is MS paying you? </sarcasm>

Good post.

Not enough to use Windows #-o

Islington
November 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
From what the pulseaudio dev thinks, its just ubuntu's implementation that blows.

ubuser76
November 11th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Pulse Audio is purely an Ubuntu problem here. Not upstream. The author of Pulse himself called out Ubuntu for a gawd-awful implementation of it, that gives PA a bad name.

And that is kind of what I've been reading too. It seems the implementations of PA have gone much smoother in other distros even going so far as to include PA drivers in Wine packages.

dragos240
November 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Does pulse work good in arch then? If so, I'll install it.

Dragonbite
November 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I noticed the services list application missing too! Ok, I'm glad I'm not going crazy.

SunnyRabbiera
November 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM
But the beauty of linux is that you can go back to previous versions or switch distros without needing $200, granted there are a few things about Karmic I can see as issues but I think Karmic is a good way to assure Lucid is a good release, bug reports, beta testing are what is needed.
I think everyone who has had issues with karmic should beta test Lucid when it first hits the alpha phase, help report issues to assure Lucid is a good release.

ElSlunko
November 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah because W7 isn't having their launch issues. *eyes roll*. I'm not going to sit here and say Karmic is perfect, but I get annoyed at the perception of trollistic posts. It's negative for everyone, don't bother comparing products if you're not willing to accept the faults of either one.

ubuser76
November 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah because W7 isn't having their launch issues. *eyes roll*. I'm not going to sit here and say Karmic is perfect, but I get annoyed at the perception of trollistic posts. It's negative for everyone, don't bother comparing products if you're not willing to accept the faults of either one.

Wow, you completely missed the point. Did you bother reading the post or just see the word "Windows" and assume that the post was comparing Linux/Karmic and Windows? Not once did I ever make a comparison against Linux and Windows. What I was making a comparison against was Karmic and previous Ubuntu releases.

Please next time try to comprehend, not just skim, the post before commenting.

hoppipolla
November 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
*falls asleep*

(sorry but you have to admit there have been a LOT of aesthetic and stylized improvements in Karmic and it will make a great base for the most likely more reliable Lucid. Desktop Linux is evolving - it's a bit bumpy but we're getting there! :) )

subdivision
November 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Does pulse work good in arch then? If so, I'll install it.

If you're already having good luck with ALSA or OSS, I wouldn't tempt fate.

jwbrase
November 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I've been using the x64 beta version of the linux flash plugin from adobe, its worked since its release in the past 2 or so Ubuntu releases, with Karmic I get no sound and a very annoying flicker (not video stutter, different) when playing flash in Firefox. However I don't want to jump to any conclusion on this one as it very well could be related to something other than Karmic, such as FF3.5

I had problems with that when I first started with 8.10. Never got it working with Firefox, and that's what pushed me to Opera. The same machine choked when I upgraded to Jaunty (ATI driver issues, I believe, though only in GNOME). Now I'm running Jaunty on a System76 machine and it's fairly smooth sailing.

What I want to hear is how Karmic is working as a pre-installed OS on System76 machines, and if it's giving significantly more problems than earlier versions of Ubuntu on the same systems.

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I've been looking through the message board and seeing a lot of threads related to "Why don't people like Karmic" and "Why's everyone hatin on Karmic". Well for me the reason is not there there are defects in the OS or that there are new features that aren't quit working right. Its the fact that several, if not a majority of the things that I have noticed broken Karmic have worked perfectly in at least the past 2 or 3 releases.

Has anyone noticed the services menu is gone from the Admin menu? Yes, I realize that it doesn't effect you and you can live without it; so can I. But its been there all along and what about the users that do use it or the users new to Linux?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1272747

Has anyone noticed that ejecting a disc in Karmic doesn't unmount it from the system? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301168
Its happening to me on 3 different machines. Every time I eject a CD/DVD I have to unmount manually with a command or right click the icon and unmount. Yes, I agree. Its not major its an annoyance but its an annoyance that shouldn't be there because it worked in all previous versions.

Innovation or not, common things that worked in previous versions should not be broken in new releases.

I can say with some degree of certainty that if these issues popped up on a release of Windows that these same users who dismiss these bugs and annoyances as trivial would be throwing major 2yr old hissy fits, not simply saying "This is the best release yet, my only problems are...(list everything that broken in this release)... but other than that this is the best release yet!"

Yea I have that issue with the CD/DVD not Auto-Umounting when ejected. Personally I think the Devs bit off more then the were able to chew in the 6 month time table. I imagine it will be ironed out for Lucid though.

kimdino
January 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM
I have been throwing 'major 2yr old hissy fits' but realise that it's not fair to lay them on folks giving their time for free. So they've been restricted to my living room & there's been a lot of them while I've been looking for another deb-based distro that will support my very new mobo. Oh yes, Karmic recognises and supports my mobo chipset while Debian, Mepis et al wont even boot on it yet so Karmic has got something good.

So I'll just keep on throwing the hissy fits while keeping my fingers crossed that Lucid will get things sorted.

When I need to get some serious computing done I've still got Hardy Heron on my laptop, now there is a beaaauutiful distro. It's just frustrating that while I'm watching my laptop grinding away I can see the next-to-useless quad-core power monster under the desk.

So, yes, I might as well put the power monster to some good use. It can be a beta tester to help iron out bugs & make Lucid as good a system as Hardy was.

k64
January 21st, 2010, 04:42 AM
But the beauty of linux is that you can go back to previous versions or switch distros without needing $200, granted there are a few things about Karmic I can see as issues but I think Karmic is a good way to assure Lucid is a good release, bug reports, beta testing are what is needed.
I think everyone who has had issues with karmic should beta test Lucid when it first hits the alpha phase, help report issues to assure Lucid is a good release.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/lucid/alpha-2/lucid-desktop-i386.iso

kimdino
January 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the link, k64, but does anyone know when the Kubuntu beta will be available? I'm very much a KDE man.

k64
January 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the link, Kenny Strawn, but does anyone know when the Kubuntu beta will be available? I'm very much a KDE man.

Here's my real name for you.

k64
January 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the link, Kenny Strawn, but does anyone know when the Kubuntu beta will be available? I'm very much a KDE man.

You can install the Lucid alpha first, open a terminal, and run
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop