PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Ubuntu 9.10 on 2nd Hard drive

mnielsen1984
November 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm trying to install the new version of Ubuntu onto a 2nd hard drive in my system, but the installer won't see the second drive, except for "specify partitions manually (advanced)" option. When I go to this, I can see the second drive, but it won't let me install without a root file system.

I haven't figured out how to create the root system on the second drive (which as nothing on it), or why it doesn't show up on the main page for installation.

Thanks,
mnielsen1984

dhavalbbhatt
November 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Try using the alternate installation CD. It seems that 9.10 desktop installation CD has an issue with partition manager. Alternate installation CD does not have a GUI, but will do the job.

gdbutcher
November 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
In your "advanced options" screen, click on new partition, a box will appear asking you for a partition size.

1. In the first box "New Partition size...."; choose your size but leave about 2 - 5 GB bytes spare (I'll explain this in a second)
2. in the "Use as:" box choose "Ext4 journaling system"
3. Tick the "format the partion" box
4. In the "Mount point" box choose: / and click OK

5. In the remaining space (2-5GB) left over from part 1, choose click or add (sorry cant remember which one) keep the size the same, and in the "Use as:" box choose Linux Swap click OK then forward.

click on forward to create the partions, and your root system (/)

One last step, in the final screen before installation starts, there should be a button named "advanced" or something similar this asks you where you are going to install grub. it should have by default hd(O,0) or SD0, whatever it says ignore, click on the list and choose your first harddrive (it should have the make and size listed) and thats it.

It should install now for you, hope this helps.

oldfred
November 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
If you want to keep your current boot and add the new install to it you can buy using the advanced tab that gdbutcher mentioned but install it to both the root partition and to the MBR of the second drive.

You then can either modify your old boot menu to chainboot to the new or switch drives in BIOS so your new install boots first without modifying your old install. That would make it easy to go back to your old setup.

mnielsen1984
November 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
gdbutcher - doing it that way worked. Thanks.