PDA

View Full Version : Where has our beloved boot progress bar gone!

john_spiral
November 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,

I upgraded to 9.1 a few days ago and notice that the boot progress bar has been banished to the fiery pits of mordor.

I think this is over design gone mad, how does one visually tell how far the boot process has progressed without a simple progress bar?

thumbs down for this insane decision. ;)

PhoHammer
November 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
hi,

i upgraded to 9.1 a few days ago and notice that the boot progress bar has been banished to the fiery pits of mordor.

I think this is over design gone mad, how does one visually tell how far the boot process has progressed without a simple progress bar?

Thumbs down for this insane decision. ;)

+1

hyperdude111
November 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM

The progress bar was ugly clunky and quite useless. Knowing how far your machine was along a 16 second process really doesn't matter and even if you know what difference does it make. I prefer the new design for the splash both the new xsplash and the re designed usplash, it is more modern and does away with the ugly duckling of a progress bar. However there are some Gui changes I dislike.

FuturePilot
November 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
By Lucid it should be booting fast enough that a progress bar would be pointless. I like the new design. It's simple but elegant at the same time.

Bodsda
November 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I like the the progress bar. It lets me know that the machine is working. Personally I think the developers have tried to mimic what Vista and win 7 are doing.

I think I'll have my usplash and my "ugly clunky and quite useless" progress bar back. Using the phrase 'quite useless' is a strange way to define the showing progression of something. If it is useless why do most programs use one? I personally would hate it if transmission flashed a shiny circle at me instead of telling me by use of a "ugly clunky and quite useless" progress bar, how much of the torrent has been downloaded thanks

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I upgraded to 9.1 a few days ago and notice that the boot progress bar has been banished to the fiery pits of mordor.

thumbs down for this insane decision. ;)

You're right, it would have been nicer to have a little white bar below the cog, but if I remember right, Ubuntu 10.04 will boot to fast that a boot bar would be pointless :)

FuturePilot
November 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I think I'll have my usplash and my "ugly clunky and quite useless" progress bar back. Using the phrase 'quite useless' is a strange way to define the showing progression of something. If it is useless why do most programs use one?
Progress bars are really only used in places where there will be a long period of waiting. It's pointless to show a progress bar for something that would take a few seconds. There's a reason why Banshee used to have a progress bar and splash screen at start up prior to 1.0. It took a long time to start. They got rid of it when 1.0 was released because they were able to speed up the start up time to the point where a progress bar is quite useless.

I personally would hate it if transmission flashed a shiny circle at me instead of telling me by use of a "ugly clunky and quite useless" progress bar, how much of the torrent has been downloaded thanks

You're comparing apples to oranges. A download takes significantly longer than booting up a computer. A progress bar makes perfect sense for a download. I think everyone would hate if no progress was shown for a download. Whereas booting will take only a handful of seconds by Lucid. Why display a progress bar that will only be displayed for a few seconds? You won't have time to wonder if your machine is working.

The Real Dave
November 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM

The progress bar was ugly clunky and quite useless. Knowing how far your machine was along a 16 second process really doesn't matter and even if you know what difference does it make. I prefer the new design for the splash both the new xsplash and the re designed usplash, it is more modern and does away with the ugly duckling of a progress bar. However there are some Gui changes I dislike.

I installed 9.10 yesterday. It took 1min 31 secs to boot, after disabling filesystem checks.

Jaunty booted in 21secs. I'm re-installing it now :)

I like the Karmic login screen, its a really nice interface, and I agree, if Karmic booted like Jaunty, I wouldn't really need a progress bar. If you want to see if your machine is working or not, hit Alt + F1.

Ric_NYC
November 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM
hi,

i upgraded to 9.1 a few days ago and notice that the boot progress bar has been banished to the fiery pits of mordor.

Thumbs down for this insane decision. ;)

+2

Ric_NYC
November 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
The white Ubuntu logo during the boot seems like a cheat.

coolbrook
November 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I like both but prefer a progress bar. They just made it slimmer in one of the more recent releases.

Perhaps there can be some sort of compromise whereby the next one changes colour instead of the pulsating.

earthpigg
November 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
i kind of prefer no graphical boot progress indicator at all.

after watching the daemons and whatnot load a few times, it does the same thing as a graphical progress indicator, and is more informative.

rattasongw
November 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
i like seeing ''setting preliminary keymap'' such a joy for me.