PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Control Both CPUs at once with CPU Frequency Monitor?

wikiterra
November 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I like the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor for the Gnome panel -- but is there any way to make it control both cores on a dual core machine? It seems silly to be forced to switch which core it's controlling; it adds an additional *five* clicks before you're even able to change the option for the other cpu. It's kind of a PITA.

Thanks for the help.

durand
November 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
5? You can do it in 2 if you add a monitor for each CPU. Yeah, its annoying but I don't think there is an alternative right now, not unless you write a simple script to switch between two cpu frequencies. You could just leave it on ondemand.

wikiterra
November 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
5?

Yeah--right click on the icon, click preferences, click the drop down menu, click to choose the other cpu, then click close. I suppose having one for each cpu on the panel is better, but still not ideal.

I understand the desire to have control over every detailed minutiae of the computer, but really--when would I want to control each one individually? Perhaps if I was writing and debugging an application targeted specifically at a multicore machine? How often do people do that in their daily computing?

Sigh...

durand
November 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I sometimes put one on powersave, the other on ondemand when playing games. Some of the games I play, like sauerbraten and tremulous, don't require much cpu power but they still seem to use it if present so I just minimise that. How often do people change the cpu frequency anyway. Ondemand is usually perfect for most people and thats the default.