PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I remove all games?

andrewkk
November 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
How can I uninstall all of the games that are included with Ubuntu 9.10 by default?

In previous versions of Ubuntu, removing one game caused all the rest to be removed due to some kind of dependency. Now, in Karmic, this does not happen. I do not know the individual package names of each game. Removing the package gnome-games did not cause any games to be removed.

gasull2
November 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Same problem over here.

running_rabbit07
November 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and search for "gnome games." It may or may not have a dash in it. Highlight it to click remove.

andrewkk
November 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and search for "gnome games." It may or may not have a dash in it. Highlight it to click remove.

Thank you for the suggestion. Removing this package, however, did not remove any games. It appears to have no effect at all. Does it make a difference that I used apt-get* rather than Synaptic? Removing this package was the first thing I tried and I don't usually use Synaptic.

* technically, wajig (http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Wajig_Overview.html), but I think it calls apt-get

audiomick
November 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Try this. I don't know if there's a more elegant way, but this should work.
Some of the names here might be wrong; my computer talks German, and I am translating on a "best bet" basis ;)
Open the software manager at the bottom of the applications menu.
Go to the drop down that tells it what to show you and select "installed applications"
Go to the side and tell it to show you the games.
you should now be only seeing the installed games.
deselect them all and tell it to apply changes

Michael

andrewkk
November 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Open the software manager at the bottom of the applications menu.
Go to the drop down that tells it what to show you and select "installed applications"
Go to the side and tell it to show you the games.
you should now be only seeing the installed games.
deselect them all and tell it to apply changes

Thank you, but in Ubuntu 9.10 this interface has been replaced. Two behaviors of the new interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Software_Center) make this approach impossible:

There is no way to filter for installed games. While the "Get Free Software" section does allow you to narrow down the list to only items in the "Games" category, the "Installed Software" section does not allow for this kind of filtering.
Packages must be removed one at a time. Unlike Synaptic and the previous Add/Remove interface, there is no queue of packages to be installed; changes are applied immediately after marking each package. This behavior makes the removal of multiple packages via this interface is a very tedious process.

running_rabbit07
November 12th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Removing this package, however, did not remove any games. It appears to have no effect at all. Does it make a difference that I used apt-get* rather than Synaptic? Removing this package was the first thing I tried and I don't usually use Synaptic.

* technically, wajig (http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Wajig_Overview.html), but I think it calls apt-get

That is odd. I don't know the commands to uninstall. Are you using Kubuntu or Ubuntu?

gasull
November 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
sudo aptitude remove gnome-games-common

andrewkk
November 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
sudo aptitude remove gnome-games-common

Awesome, this did it. Thanks!

Big Iain
November 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Awesome, this did it. Thanks!

what a killjoy you must be

audiomick
November 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
what a killjoy you must be

I think he's a teacher...;)

mattlindsay
November 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Perfect, sorted my issue right out. Thanks!

Matt