PDA

View Full Version : Cyvoc - New Ubuntu-Based Distro!

jaceleon
November 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Well, folks, I'm sure you're familiar with XP Black Edition or LastXP. I have a news for you guys.

As of August this year, the team that created these modded OSes will create a modded version of Ubuntu called Cyvoc! This distro is Ubuntu-based, will get its repositories from the Ubuntu repository and will be modded to be fast. But that isn't why they created this.

They created this so that:

1. Windows-to-Linux transistors, both geeky and common people, can easily switch to Linux.

2. The users will spend their time using the OS itself rather than typing in the terminal for things they needed.

3. The users can run any Linux or Windows application (without WINE, if possible, and no restriction to Cyvoc being the OS in use).<<best feature it offers!

4. Both Windows and Linux can be fused in a way that only a fair few tried to do.

They actually need some support in developing this OS. Perhaps we can help them out?

Click here (http://cyvoc.net) for their website.

By this, if developed properly, we can finally kiss our Windows goodbye, as it promises to run even Windows Games (Linux gamers will be so happy about this!) as well as apps!

NoaHall
November 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
So you mean, someone has decided to make a mix of Ubuntu and react OS? Oh great... I'm "sure" it's fast.

Skripka
November 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
So you mean, someone has decided to make a mix of Ubuntu and react OS? Oh great... I'm "sure" it's fast.

Shipping Ubuntu with some different themes, and Wine is a GREAT reason to make another Ubuntu Clone...

FuturePilot
November 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Shipping Ubuntu with some different themes, and Wine is a GREAT reason to make another Ubuntu Clone...

This.

Jimleko211
November 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Course, hasn't been upgraded in over a month...

jaceleon
November 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
You got that part a bit wrong.

They are trying to integrate the ability of Windows to run its application. It doesn't imply that it will make Cyvoc more of Windows, but more of Ubuntu with added features. And we all know, WINE isn't a good way to run most windows application.

Skripka
November 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
You got that part a bit wrong.

They are trying to integrate the ability of Windows to run its application. It doesn't imply that it will make Cyvoc more of Windows, but more of Ubuntu with added features. And we all know, WINE isn't a good way to run most windows application.

O RLY?

http://cyvoc.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=12

* Windows Storage Formats and Executable Supported (WINE/NTFS-3g)

Simian Man
November 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
So they're trying to reimplement wine with a custom Ubuntu distro?

This project has FAIL written all over it.

ZankerH
November 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
And we all know, WINE isn't a good way to run most windows application.

Running most windows applications isn't a good way to run most windows applications.

Skripka
November 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
So they're trying to reimplement wine with a custom Ubuntu distro?

This project has FAIL written all over it.

Nah, they're using Wine-but their project doesn't want to admit it. Think iMagicOS levels of failz.

pwnst*r
November 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Running most windows applications isn't a good way to run most windows applications.

except that it is.

Simian Man
November 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Yeah all those people who want to run any major games, art or productivity software sure are sheep huh?:rolleyes:

Nah, they're using Wine-but their project doesn't want to admit it. Think iMagicOS levels of failz.

Ah yeah, I'm not sure which one is worse :).

jaceleon
November 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I don't get this, but I'm just reporting what I see. On my opinion, if EVER they did this correctly, they can make us totally Windows OS-free.

Aside from that, I think this is a good way of pulling people into Ubuntu, step-by-step. Like the themes.

Skripka
November 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I don't get this, but I'm just reporting what I see. On my opinion, if EVER they did this correctly, they can make us totally Windows OS-free.

If I understood it correctly, it seems as if they're making more of a WINE alternative integrated with their clone.

Hoss, you don't understand correctly and need to read their website-they ARE using Wine.

rattasongw
November 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
is it best?

praveesh
November 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Running windows applications without wine? They are lying

Islington
November 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
They probably are lying but could a distro be set up with virtualbox seamless mode, turned on all the time right from boot?

Easy enough to skin xp and linux to look the same.

ZankerH
November 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Aside from that, I think this is a good way of pulling people into Ubuntu, step-by-step. Like the themes.

If you're not free from windows-only applications, you're not free from windows. If your software isn't Free, you're not free.

Emulation (or non-emulation through compatibility layers) doesn't solve the essential problem of software vendors not supporting Free platforms.

JelleV
November 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well, Since I'm at the head of the project I'll make some stuff clear:

Well, folks, I'm sure you're familiar with XP Black Edition or LastXP. I have a news for you guys.The Guy from "Black Edition" Was never involved in development, the guy from LastXP was involved but left the project because he wanted to get involved in other projects.

He explains here (http://www.cyvoc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=238) why he left

As of August this year, the team that created these modded OSes will create a modded version of Ubuntu called Cyvoc! This distro is Ubuntu-based, will get its repositories from the Ubuntu repository and will be modded to be fast.First part is true, but I think you might misunderstand the "fast" part, we're not making Ubuntu run faster. We're just trying to make sure end-users don't need to spend as much time on installation / configuration of Ubuntu. So its more about Saving time then faster performance.

2. The users will spend their time using the OS itself rather than typing in the terminal for things they needed.Keep in mind the Community does a great job at that as well ^^

3. The users can run any Linux or Windows application (without WINE, if possible, and no restriction to Cyvoc being the OS in use).I'm not sure where you read that, but thats impossible. Further more the 'Wine' part was a big point for my partner since he left its basically Just Wine. Also take notice the project isn't finished, I still need to work on big parts of the Wine side project.

4. Both Windows and Linux can be fused in a way that only a fair few tried to do.WUBI Does that in a way, but thats not Cyvoc-Only. Migrating the 2 is doomed due to licensing anyway ;)

Shipping Ubuntu with some different themes, and Wine is a GREAT reason to make another Ubuntu Clone...Its a little more then that look here if you want to know more:
http://www.cyvoc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=417
http://www.cyvoc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=422

But I'm glad you understand our motives ;)

Course, hasn't been upgraded in over a month...I know, try making a Ubuntu Remix with sufficient new features alone in less then a month ;)

As for making it more compatible with Windows, its a license war-zone - so we can't include whatever we want by default. We'll make it easier to add the support by just having to install 1 package instead of a dozen or so ;P

Hoss, you don't understand correctly and need to read their website-they ARE using Wine.He's right ;)

In general: The Goal isn't to make Ubuntu 'Like' Windows, just to make the jump from Windows to Linux / Ubuntu less confusing. It can look-like Windows (xp-vista-seven) with a single click:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9990/screenshotsettings.png

But it doesn't mean we want to Fuse Windows with Ubuntu. We just started to modificate Ubuntu to make sure the community we work with Enjoys Ubuntu more. The main goal is only to save people time in installing / configuring Ubuntu and add more and more features as we find them. The Community has too many cool Features not included by Default in Ubuntu, we just want to add those and make life on Ubuntu easier ;)

I hope I gave enough Information, I think I answered all Q - Doubts in the thread, if you want to know more feel free to ask ;)

jrusso2
November 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I seem to remember this happening before. Its deja vu all over again. Lindows!

koleoptero
November 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM
You gotta just love all the negativity. It's as if they'll steal all our money or cookies to make this distro.

Shpongle
November 25th, 2009, 02:03 AM
would you not be better off focusing your skills/talents/attention to improving ubuntu i mean theres no reason to make a new distro and its not gonna stand close to officially supported / developed ones. we have like a million buntus already . This is counter productive to make another look at the others bar mint & #! the rest arent doing to well. its thing like drivers ,bug fixes , new themes artwork , plugins etc that we need not a splitting of resources manpower. if all the spinoff buntus focused on the main ones we would see a better user experience all round. It makes no sense to have a new distro with a different de when i can just install the de and run them side by side. no disrespect to what you are doing but think about it realistically. its doing more harm than good. if you wanna help with windows compatibility the contribute to wine then linux as a whole will benefit. a new lick of paint will not get any followers if its the same or can be done on a normal install.

any way what ever you do man

good luck

JelleV
November 25th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I seem to remember this happening before. Its deja vu all over again. Lindows!

I envy your skill to state what Distributions are like before you even used them;)

You gotta just love all the negativity. It's as if they'll steal all our money or cookies to make this distro.

Since its open-source it can't be stealing, but then again I get those comments everywhere so although the licensing say open-source the mentality sometimes gets more closed.

@ DillByrne,

If I contribute to Ubuntu I can never have any influence on the end-result, they work with full-time employees and I'm not one of them. Further more I never said any of you had to use it, if you don't like it ignore it or something :P I appreciate your advise but I dislike what Ubuntu gives me after a fresh-install so I modificate it. Since people liked my modification I shared it thats all... XD