PDA

View Full Version : [Python] Appending new methods to an instance

Can+~
November 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I noticed (and CptPicard too) that using:

myinst.mymethod = function

Is valid, but it won't map the first argument as the "self" that a method has. So therefore, you can't add methods to a class in a simple way (except using the types module).

I realized that methods are also being interpreted by the "__setattr__" method inside objects, so I hacked a little something to handle new methods:

class Foo(object):
"""It does foo"""

def __init__(self, bar):
self.bar = bar

def __setattr__(self, name, value):

# Check if it's callable
if hasattr(value, "__call__"):
# It's a function, send to __setmeth__
self.__setmeth__(name, value)
else:
# It's a normal attribute
object.__setattr__(self, name, value)

def __setmeth__(self, name, func):
"""Method that defines how new methods are inserted"""

# Create a closure with self
def selfmeth(*args, **kargs):
func(self, *args, **kargs)

# Store it as a normal function
object.__setattr__(self, name, selfmeth)

The method being passed is stored in a closure, that sets the self argument as the first one, therefore, working exactly like a method. Notice that the "__setmeth__" is not valid at all, it's not part of the standard language, I just wanted it to sound "pythonic".

With this you can:

f = Foo(5)

def newmeth(self):
print self.bar

f.newmeth = newmeth

f.newmeth()

Now, I wish python would implement something like __setmeth__ for real :(.

CptPicard
November 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Nice thinking. Could probably be implemented as an extension or something. This is of course how it should work... I have been trying to figure out the rationale for the new behaviour in Python... I guess there is one but I have not figured it out yet :(

nvteighen
November 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hm... Here I refactored Can+~'s idea into a reusable class. Making this a module is a must...

# All credit to Can+~ of course ;)

class ExtensibleClass(object):
""" Makes any children class be dynamically extensible. """

def __init__(self):
pass

def __setattr__(self, name, value):

# Check if it's callable
if hasattr(value, "__call__"):
# It's a function, send to __setmeth__
self.__setmeth__(name, value)
else:
# It's a normal attribute
object.__setattr__(self, name, value)

def __setmeth__(self, name, func):
"""Method that defines how new methods are inserted"""

# Create a closure with self
def selfmeth(*args, **kargs):
func(self, *args, **kargs)

# Store it as a normal function
object.__setattr__(self, name, selfmeth)

## TEST SUITE

if __name__ == "__main__":

class Foo(ExtensibleClass):
def __init__(self, bar):
self.bar = bar

f = Foo(5)

def newmeth(self):
print self.bar

f.newmeth = newmeth

f.newmeth()

## END OF TEST SUITE

CptPicard
November 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
This is, unfortunately, probably quite a performance killer considering how much you want to set things on objects in general... having to check for callability each and every time does not sound great. This would require actual patching of Python.. :(

Can+~
November 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM
This is, unfortunately, probably quite a performance killer considering how much you want to set things on objects in general... having to check for callability each and every time does not sound great. This would require actual patching of Python.. :(

Checking callability is looking if the __call__ is defined in the __dict__ of a class, which is just a dictionary test (should be O(1), in theory).

How frequently do you add new methods on runtime?

CptPicard
November 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Checking callability is looking if the __call__ is defined in the __dict__ of a class, which is just a dictionary test (should be O(1), in theory).

Yeah but you're overriding __setattr__ and doing Python side stuff on assignment of anything, regardless of whether it is a callable or not. I don't know what the actual implementation of __setattr__ is but I might assume it works on the native side mostly...

But ok, assuming you just inherit when you need to... I can see the point in that light.

How frequently do you add new methods on runtime?

Rarely... but it is a kind of core philosophical point of Python's design...

nvteighen
November 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Rarely... but it is a kind of core philosophical point of Python's design...

What if I tell you Objective-C (in its Cocoa flavor... haven't found how to do this with GNUStep) has a pretty way to bind messages dynamically? Look at class_addmethod in action: http://developer.apple.com/Mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjCRuntimeGuide/Articles/ocrtDynamicResolution.html

I think any language focused on dynamic programming should have this feature.

maximinus_uk
November 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I've used the python new module for doing this in the past:

http://docs.python.org/library/new.html
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/01/27/dynamically_extending_apis

But I see annoyingly this has been taken out in 3.0 and the docs refer me to a much less interesting types module:

http://docs.python.org/library/types.html#module-types

Grrr. :-( perhaps I should stick to scheme code after all...

wmcbrine
November 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
CptPicard, what is it that you're referring to as new behavior? I checked back to Python 2.3, and it still had this issue.

CptPicard
November 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Gah!! Apologies. The method addition thing works on classes, not object instances:

Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Nov 2 2009, 14:38:03)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> class MyClass:
... def __init__(self):
... self.x = 5
>>> def meth(self):
... print self.x
>>> MyClass.foo = meth
>>> obj = MyClass()
>>> obj.foo()

I seemed to be under the impression it's all the same on instances too... it's not. But IMO it would be interesting if it did work.

Can+~
November 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well, now we can do both, add methods to a class and an instance.

Although, I saw some flaw on my code: if you try to overload the __setattr__ on the class that is extending (java nomenclature) the "ExtensibleClass", then the __setmeth__ will never be called, unless the overload also considers this.

nvteighen
November 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Gah!! Apologies. The method addition thing works on classes, not object instances:

If you think it well, adding a new method dynamically to an instance may offer a paradox... While the instance is considered by the compiler to be one of its class, is that instance after being dynamically modified still of the same class? And if not, of which class? These questions are really important, as they show the impact (no idea whether good or bad, we should try it on real code) such an idea has over the system of meanings in the code.

CptPicard
November 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have been thinking about this from the perspective of the type and interface of the function that is being added. I am actually becoming more of the opinion that if the __setattr__ would always capture any function like we expected it to, it would actually be slightly weird... after that, you could not store functions as values in a "normal" way in an object, they would always be hijacked as methods. Probably not good.

Also, if you look at how Python's types change in this attachment process ... a function is a function, a member function in a class is an unbound method, and this becomes at instantiation a bound method, which is very specifically a function with a different external interface plus an object instance reference. I think there are some type "meaning" conflicts of the kind you're referring to there if we just stick stuff onto an instance like we were trying to.

EDIT: In particular if function f(self) is attached to instance x by x.g = f, then x.g is most definitely no longer the same function! If we did h = x.g, then in particular this going through x will cause h != f as we're dealing with a bound method, which is a competely different function. QED.

Reiger
November 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Gah. Are you Pythonics secretly wishing Python had real prototyping? :p

function obj() {
this.place='world';
}
function foo() {
}
foo.prototype=new obj();
foo.prototype.hello = function() { alert("Hello "+this.place); };

var bar = new foo();
bar.hello(); // build up to "Hello world".

CptPicard
November 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Reiger, interesting example. Yeah, it's possible that that is what we're after, in a sense the Python class is a kind of prototype object already... it just specifies what is copied over, but apparently instantiation is not quite that simple in Python...

nvteighen
November 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Gah. Are you Pythonics secretly wishing Python had real prototyping? :p

function obj() {
this.place='world';
}
function foo() {
}
foo.prototype=new obj();
foo.prototype.hello = function() { alert("Hello "+this.place); };

var bar = new foo();
bar.hello(); // build up to "Hello world".

Or a Common Lisp-like multiple dispatch system would also satisfy us... :p

CptPicard
November 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Or an appropriate shrubbery. One that looks nice. And not too expensive.