PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.10 failed.

honeybear277
November 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I've managed to completely screw up my Ubuntu 9.10 installation. I have been running 9.04 for some time and everything was fine. I then upgraded to 9.10 today using the updater and it worked ok except that my wireless network (Atheros ar2413) no longer worked. So I shutdown my computer and pulled it out and restarted it. No problem. I then reinstalled the card and that is where it all went pair-shaped.

On boot-up x windows does not start. Instead I get the error message: "Mount of filesystem failed. A maintenance shell will now be started". In this text window I can log in, navigate around the filesystem and everything is there. I tried a startx but it was unsuccessful. I get "Read-only file system" type errors.

Does anyone know how I can repair this?

jeb800e
November 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Probably just a glitch, as Karmic is new. Why don't you try doing a fresh install of 9.04 and wait a few weeks to update back to 9.10, if you choose.

matpol
November 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Have a look at this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306345

I had similar problems and this sorted it out.

honeybear277
November 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys. I am trying the other thread you mentioned and if that doesn't fix it I will reinstall 9.04.

honeybear277
November 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
OK, I got it working. I did a "fschk /dev/sda1" and this found a couple of broken chains and fixed them. Ubuntu boots up correctly now.

Now to get my wireless network card working....