PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xubuntu to ubuntu

igsen
November 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm a Xubuntu user and trying Ubuntu for the first time. I have installed ubuntu-desktop, so far no problem except for the splashscreen (not sure if it's the right term). Why is it that during the boot up process it keeps on flashing "Xubuntu"? How do I turn it into "Ubuntu"?

jeb800e
November 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Because you are trying to run Ubuntu on top of Xubuntu. Think of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu as parallel movements in the Linux world. They all are now organized by the same company, have the same updates, etc., but when you try to copy one of the parallel movements to it and remove the original, you will likely run into problems, as some things aren't set up EXACTLY the same as the other.

snowpine
November 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi igsen, it is just artwork, nothing to worry about. :)

If you want to completely remove Xubuntu, and have only Ubuntu, follow this tutorial:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

igsen
November 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Because you are trying to run Ubuntu on top of Xubuntu. Think of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu as parallel movements in the Linux world. They all are now organized by the same company, have the same updates, etc., but when you try to copy one of the parallel movements to it and remove the original, you will likely run into problems, as some things aren't set up EXACTLY the same as the other.

Well, if that's the case I'd rather enjoy "Ubuntu through Xubuntu" and leave things as they are than waste time configuring and fixing problems that may arise should I insist on becoming stubborn.

igsen
November 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi igsen, it is just artwork, nothing to worry about. :)

If you want to completely remove Xubuntu, and have only Ubuntu, follow this tutorial:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Thanks for this one buddy! I did go to this site and found valuable info.

alienclone
November 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
if you want to keep xubuntu but still change the splash back to the default ubuntu, then go to System>Administration>StartUp-Manager and in the appearance tab change the Usplash theme to usplash-theme-ubuntu.

if you dont have the startup manager you can get it from the repos. there are some other nice tools in it.

igsen
November 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
if you want to keep xubuntu but still change the splash back to the default ubuntu, then go to System>Administration>StartUp-Manager and in the appearance tab change the Usplash theme to usplash-theme-ubuntu.

if you dont have the startup manager you can get it from the repos. there are some other nice tools in it.

BULLSEYE!!!
This is exactly what I was looking for -- change to Ubuntu while keeping Xubuntu intact.
Thank you very much!