PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding hard-drive space?

khairat
November 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi,
I am new to ubuntu and the whole linux OS am struggling to learn and was wondering if some1 could help me with this :)

I have installed 10.09 on a separate drive from MS windows and was using them simultaneously.. now I want to expand the hard-drive space for ubuntu to ease the complete migration process, is there a way to do it? or should I uninstall and reinstall a new one

Cheers ;)

dhavalbbhatt
November 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hi,
I am new to ubuntu and the whole linux OS am struggling to learn and was wondering if some1 could help me with this :)

I have installed 10.09 on a separate drive from MS windows and was using them simultaneously.. now I want to expand the hard-drive space for ubuntu to ease the complete migration process, is there a way to do it? or should I uninstall and reinstall a new one

Cheers ;)

You can use GParted to increase the size of your Ubuntu partition. To do that, boot from the LiveCD and select the option where it says something like check out ubuntu without installing it on your hard drive. Once you are in the LiveCD environment, you will be able to go to System->Administration->Gparted. Click on that and you will see all hard drives on your computer. From here on, you can edit the partitions - meaning increase/decrease the size, re-format a partition, delete a partition, etc.