PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 error; Kernal Panic

Christopher8827
November 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
After updating Ubuntu and rebooting, a error occurred while booting up:

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3400, size=0x3b26e0]
[Initrd, addr=0x37864000, size=0x78b7af]
[1.430898] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,1)

Please help me to fix this problem.

ninja togo
November 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
that same thing happened to me I can't reinstall or I will lose my school projects:icon_frown:. Please someone help us[-o<

janwillemk
November 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
hm, I have the same problem.:(

I'm using a 32bit Wubi installation and the recovery mode results in a kernel panic as well.

garikgarik
November 12th, 2009, 02:52 AM
hm, I have the same problem.:(

I'm using a 32bit Wubi installation and the recovery mode results in a kernel panic as well.
same problem

Schobs
November 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
exactly the same issue here!....

Christopher8827
November 13th, 2009, 05:46 AM
any fixes found yet?

Christopher8827
November 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I hope I don't have to a reinstall...

iainmellis
November 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Exactly the same problem. Is there anyway to report this directly to ubuntu.

tino.st
November 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM
same same same error!!!

anyone could fix it?

Dale61
November 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Add another to the ever growing list.

I only had 9.10 installed, via WUBI, for a couple of days, so deleting it was any concern. Fortunately, I still have 9.04 installed on the main desktop, so I still have at least one flavour.

mr.hope
November 22nd, 2009, 03:50 AM
I also got the same problem , too , is there anyone to help me out of this ? i dont want to lose my data !!! :(:(:(:(:(

Dale61
November 22nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
Apparently, you can roll back to the previous kernel, and it should all work fine.

I just re-installed 9.10 via WUBI, and when the updates came up, the 'problem' kernel was marked as a new install, so the problem may have been fixed as I am now using the kernel that crashed.

ian_gary_price
November 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have the same problem. Error mesages while trying to start Ubuntu are:

1.444602 RAMDISK : Couldn't find valid RAMDISK image starting at 0

1.530541 No filesystem could mount root, tried : ext3 ext 2 ext 4 fuseblk

1.530766 Kermel panic - not syncing : vfs Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,2)

This has happened to me twice. First time I reinstalled, but this time I will loose files, so I really want to fix it.

Does anybody know how to "rolll back the kernel"?

Gary

rad_rich
November 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I've only recently installed Ubuntu as duel boot up with Vista on to my laptop and during an upgrade yesterday the laptop froze.

When i rebooted I have the same problem that people have listed here. I've seen a few solutions on other pages, but most of them go way over my head.

Can some one provide an idiot proof way to resolve this?

Thanks....

Christopher8827
November 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Apparently, you can roll back to the previous kernel, and it should all work fine.

I just re-installed 9.10 via WUBI, and when the updates came up, the 'problem' kernel was marked as a new install, so the problem may have been fixed as I am now using the kernel that crashed.

How do I roll back to the previous kernel? This is getting frustrating. :o

l_fonseca
November 25th, 2009, 05:17 AM

So, for those who don't have a previuous kernel installed (like me), the only available solution is re-install wubi. Hope the problem have been fixed. I'm re-installing wubi.

Dale61
November 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
To both of the above:

When you initially install 9.10, it has the 'original' kernel as a starter. The first 'major' update installs the next kernel in line.

When you start your pc, you should be given an option of which kernel you want to boot into. The 'newest' kernel is at the top, so you just choose the lower one.

grndnl
November 26th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Ok, the info in this thread still does not help...
I have seen a LOT of people all over the internet with this same problem, all linked to the latest update (of, apparently, the kernel). There has to be an easier way than reinstalling it, thus the "boot with another kernel option" came in. Too bad people do not explain with enough detail WHEN:

you should be given an option of which kernel you want to boot into. The 'newest' kernel is at the top, so you just choose the lower one.
that happens...

Dale61
November 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
When you first boot up, you are greeted with a GRUB menu, giving you choices of how you want to boot up.

Linux kernel (newest)
Linux kernel (newest safe mode)
Linux kernel (oldest)
Linux kernel (oldest safe mode)
Memory test
Windows whatever.

If you can't boot into the 'newest' kernel, you then try the 'oldest'. How difficult is that?

This is also why you should ALWAYS have at least two Linux kernel options in your GRUB.

My install is now running fine, but as I'm only a 'user', not a 'tech', I hope someone who knows what caused the problem can help you.

GraFfiX420
December 14th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I have the same issue, after the rc3 kernel update. I only have one kernel listed in grub so can't do that. I haven't been using my ubuntu install because im trying to wait for a way to recover. If we are missing something obvious here please some super user step in and shed some light.

Dale61
December 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I had an update download on Friday, and GRUB imploded again.

After some searching, I found this fix, which did work for me.

sh:grub linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

sh:grub initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic

sh:grub boot

The 2.6.31-17-generic kernel is the latest one I have, and the sda2 points to the WUBI installation on the Windows partition.

If it all goes as planned, you should now be looking at Ubuntu. If so, you now need to open a terminal, and type in:

sudo update-grub2

You should now be able to boot into Ubuntu as you normally would.

I also had four GRUB kernel entries, so to get rid of the two oldest ones, I went into Synaptic and marked for complete removal both of the oldest kernels (-14 and -15).

GRUB then recompiled itself, and now I only have kernels -16 and -17 to choose from (other than Vista).

If none of the above helps, replace the sda2 entry with sda1, or change the kernel version to -14, -15 or -16.

It did take me some time to get my head around it as I was trying the sda1 route, but once I tried it with sda2, all was sweet.